• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The #Buzzout #Wellmanout Billboard: Development Thread

They broke ground on March 24. The Miami ACCT game was March 11. The UK game was on March 20. If Bz was hired as quickly after the UK game as he was after the championship game, we could have avoided it.

I don't think that is the case. His buyout for the first 2 years was $750,000. It dropped to $500,000 for the next 3 years, but if CU didn't break ground before the end of year 3, the $500,000 buyout would be waived. It wouldn't have mattered if we hired Bz on March 21 because CU had until the end of Bz's 3rd year to break ground (he was introduced as CU coach on April 4 or 5). The end of the 3rd year was the trigger date for whether the buyout was waived.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation.

Is this the case? I thought there was nothing we could do in terms of timing. If CU didn't break ground on their practice facility before the end of Bz's 3rd year, the buyout was voided. They broke ground, so the buyout stayed. Even if we had offered before they broke ground, it would have been before the end of the 3rd year, so the buyout would have still been in place. Can't find anything searching quickly, but I would be curious to hear what the screw up was. I definitely remember conversation about it at the time we hired Bz, but I thought it turned out that we (the royal we) were wrong and there wasn't anything Wellman could have done about the buyout if he hired Bz.

All he had to do was not hire him and we don't pay he buyout. That also means we wouldn't suck as bad. The fact that Wellman couldn't avoid the buyout with timing is irrelevant. He could have avoided it by not sucking at his job and making a better hire. Fuck wellman.

All he had to do was not hire him and we don't pay he buyout. That also means we wouldn't suck as bad. The fact that Wellman couldn't avoid the buyout with timing is irrelevant. He could have avoided it by not sucking at his job and making a better hire. Fuck wellman.

No argument from me on that point.

I did "pull the Director's Cup standings." The completed results for the last 19 years are up on their website. This year's standings will make 20 years. This year's scores are on the site but they are not complete so they were not included in the info below.

Director's Cup Summary...
Comparing Wake's scores to our counterparts in the ACC:

Only once in the last 19 years has Wake finished in the upper third (barely) of the ACC.
Wake has finished in the bottom half of the conference 13 of the 19 years.
Wake has finished in the bottom third of the conference 9 of the 19 years.
Wake has finished last in the conference for the last two years in a row.

Obviously our AD is not being judged based on our performance in the Director's Cup...

http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-directorscup-previous-scoring.html

Those ACC only results make for an interesting spreadsheet.

If these results mean anything, it can't be good for Wellman...

I'd like for Bz to remain at the forefront of the Billboard above anything else. Either way, I'm hoping somebody just goes ahead and makes an executive decision and puts one up ASAP. I got an email today about an update through Crowdtilt, but I can't see any recent changes that was made other than the fact that we've met our goal, and that happened last week.

want this to happen noooooowwww.

i want wellman out badly, but the chances of pushing bz out are alot more likely

The Colorado buyout was reportedly paid for by [Redacted] himself.

Wake has a policy of not paying buyouts, I believe.

Still, it was a horrendous hire by Wellman.

Step 1) Crowd Tilt
Step 2) Vegas Double-Up
Step 3) Keep all the money
Step 4) Turn off PMs

If these results mean anything, it can't be good for Wellman...

Not that I am defending RW (b/c I'm not), but those numbers don't mean anuthing without context. You would have to compare the number of sports in which Wake competes vs. the rest of the ACC. I believe that we compete in fewer sports than any other school -> fewer opportunities to accumulate points -> lower scores/standings in the director's cup.

Don't worry guys. I know RSF's number and what he looks like.
Rest assured that if he wants to keep it all after the double up that I can be easily bought off for 1/2 of his winnings.

Roger sends.

Don't worry guys. I know RSF's number and what he looks like.
Rest assured that if he wants to keep it all after the double up that I can be easily bought off for 1/2 of his winnings.

Roger sends.

"RSF and DV7 Go to Vegas"

Wake Basketball = Historically NONcompetitive,
thanks to Ron Wellman.

firebz.com
#wellmanout

Last edited:
That message from Ron to the Deacon Club was completely delusional.

Let's get this up. Something simple and to the point is fine - a few have mentioned this idea:

We believe in Wake Forest.
We don't believe in Ron Wellman.

#BuzzOut # WellmanOut
www.FireBz.com

That's all you need. Let's do this.

I did "pull the Director's Cup standings." The completed results for the last 19 years are up on their website. This year's standings will make 20 years. This year's scores are on the site but they are not complete so they were not included in the info below.

Director's Cup Summary...
Comparing Wake's scores to our counterparts in the ACC:

Only once in the last 19 years has Wake finished in the upper third (barely) of the ACC.
Wake has finished in the bottom half of the conference 13 of the 19 years.
Wake has finished in the bottom third of the conference 9 of the 19 years.
Wake has finished last in the conference for the last two years in a row.

Obviously our AD is not being judged based on our performance in the Director's Cup...

http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-directorscup-previous-scoring.html

Those ACC only results make for an interesting spreadsheet.

Not that I am defending RW (b/c I'm not), but those numbers don't mean anuthing without context. You would have to compare the number of sports in which Wake competes vs. the rest of the ACC. I believe that we compete in fewer sports than any other school -> fewer opportunities to accumulate points -> lower scores/standings in the director's cup.

Even when you add "context", it's still not very pretty.
Each school can place a maximum of 20 sports in the Director's Cup competition.
10 male and 10 female.
Last year 5 of 12 ACC schools participated in less than 20 sports.
GaTech & Miami had 17 sports, Wake had 18 sports, and Clemson & Florida St. had 19 sports.

School#SportsDirector's Cup
GaTech1772
Miami1759
WFU1892
Clemson1954
Florida St195

Florida State had only one more sport than we did but finished 5th (the highest score in the ACC) in the Director's Cup standings. That tells me that you do not have to participate in 20 sports to score well. It is more important that you do well in the sports for which you do compete. In other words, I think our poor score last year had much more to do with the fact that we finished in the bottom half of the conference in 16 of the 18 sports in which we participated. Ron Wellman is not trying to field championship caliber athletes and teams. He is obviously comfortable just getting a participation trophy.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/1213accrecordbook.pdf

Last edited:
Even when you add context, it's still not very pretty.
Each school can place a maximum of 20 sports in the Director's Cup competition.
10 male and 10 female.
Last year 5 of 12 ACC schools participated in less than 20 sports.
GaTech & Miami had 17 sports, Wake had 18 sports, and Clemson & Florida St. had 19 sports.

School#SportsDirector's Cup
GaTech1772
Miami1759
WFU1892
Clemson1954
Florida St195

Florida State had only one more sport than we did but finished 5th (highest in the ACC) in the Director's Cup standings. That tells me that you do not have to participate in 20 sports to score well. It is more important that you do well in the sports for which you do compete. In other words, I think our poor score last year had much more to do with the fact that we finished in the bottom half of the conference in 16 of the 18 sports in which we participated. Ron Wellman is not trying to field championship caliber athletes and teams. He is obviously comfortable just getting a participation trophy.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/1213accrecordbook.pdf

Wow, that's pretty damning. I was with ibleedgoldandblack in thinking that at least a portion of it was due to participating in fewer sports, but damn. We have really sucked ass recently.

Back