• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Case Against Football

That's a pretty good article. Right now, the NFL is being propped up by a house of cards of tradition, gambling/fantasy, and loyalty. All of those could erode.

I forgot there was a game last night. Completely forgot until I checked Facebook before going to bed and saw highlights pop up. I had no fantasy players. I watched Mavs-Spurs on NBATV, some more NBA highlights, and some TV shows. Odds are I probably would have remembered and watched if Watson wasn't injured. I regularly forget Thursday night games too.

Probably the most successful kid of my high school (Best looking, 4.0 avg, best athlete) was a linebacker for our football team. He ended up killing himself by drinking gasoline and lighting himself on fire at age 17. Very weird thinking back almost 20 years ago to "the only thing he mentioned was he was suffering from headaches the weeks leading up to it."

CTE would be the first thing someone would think of these days. Wasn't on our radar, then.

Damn, that would be one of the last I would choose. Christ

I love watching Luke Kuechly play. He's one of my favorite players of all-time and one of the all-time greats. But I can't help thinking about Luke crying when he suffered a concussion last season. It's hard to balance being a fan of the Panthers and Luke but wanting him to live a healthy life after football. I guess the balance is that I'll be happy if he plays and I'll be happy if he retired tomorrow.

I just don't know how long we as fans can maintain the cognitive dissonance necessary to be football fans.

Was there a review of how the Saints handled Coby Fleener? It's astounding how many teams are still disregarding concussion protocol when everyone at home knows the dude has a concussion (or potential symptoms). See also: Russell Westbrook, Jacoby Brissett.

The Brissett handling was really bad. But from everything that's come out about the Colts, no one in that organization knows what the hell is going on and doesn't care about the long term health of their players as long as they can make it onto the field.

I wonder how prevalent CTE is among folks who played FB through HS?

Cities being held hostage for new stadiums need to measure how long football will matter before making 20-30 year mortgages on billions of dollars.

Yep. Not to mention long term commitments are foolish anyway.

I feel like there is zero chance that if we have a grandson in the future he'll get to wear full pads unless he plays in college.

Maybe HS football will last 2 more generations, but I doubt it.

And I cannot tell you how devastating this is to me and how bad it is for the young men of our country that the team building aspect of football will no longer exist. I know LAX and soccer are team sports but there's nothing like the bond of a football team.

From our northern seat at the table I'll offer two words: ICE HOCKEY.

Interestingly my wife said she read a report last week that says girl's soccer has a higher % of concussions than football. Pretty frightening given the # of girls playing soccer nationwide and not surprising as I know our daughters have had 3 friends have concussions over last year from soccer. A couple of them missed school for well over a month suffering headaches regularly during that time. So clearly more of a sports wide issue than just FB.

I played youth football for four years from 5th through 8th grade and never suffered a head injury of any kind. I do remember our QB one year was hit by two kids on opposite sides and they cracked the [cheap] helmet off of his head and he was led off the field in tears.

Back