• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Case Against Sam Hurd

Accepting a kilo of cocaine is. Save your outrage for the small time users and dealers rather than the guy discussing trafficking 50 kilos of cocaine a week. 15 years might be too harsh but people like you acting as though nearly all drug crimes should go unpunished SERIOUSLY undermine any efforts to reduce existing sentences. No matter what other positive things Hurd has done he deserves to be in jail and even he admits that.

i'll be outraged when outrage is merited.

aside from the fact that accepting a kilo of yayo is not necessarily illegal if it's given or forced onto you (which may well have been the case here), i can assure u he never moved a damn thing for profit... the dude is/was a bambi. look at how naive and stupid and amateur he went about it all, from start to finish.

where did i say he deserved no punishment? where did he say he deserved jail? if it were up to me 90% of all his future salaries would go to some charity, and he'd be doing 2,000 hrs community service w/supervised probation. he'd still get to live a nice life by association as long as he's in the league. apparently he was a likeable guy who gave back to the community through his FB camps for mentally disabled children, which he can't do anymore.

but you say he deserves to be in jail huh? well there are three reasons for jail, which one are we satisfying by putting him there? what exactly do we accomplish with that?

if you want to you can respond to what i actually wrote in post 18, or this post. but stop misquoting/attributing/paraphrasing me.

Last edited:
i'll be outraged when outrage is merited.

aside from the fact that accepting a kilo of yayo is not necessarily illegal if it's given or forced onto you (which may well have been the case here), i can assure u he never moved a damn thing for profit... the dude is/was a bambi. look at how naive and stupid and amateur he went about it all, from start to finish.

where did i say he deserved no punishment? where did he say he deserved jail? if it were up to me 90% of all his future salaries would go to some charity, and he'd be doing 2,000 hrs community service w/supervised probation. he'd still get to live a nice life by association as long as he's in the league. apparently he was a likeable guy who gave back to the community through his FB camps for mentally disabled children, which he can't do anymore.

but you say he deserves to be in jail huh? well there are three reasons for jail, which one are we satisfying by putting him there? what exactly do we accomplish with that?

if you want to you can respond to what i actually wrote in post 18, or this post. but stop misquoting/attributing/paraphrasing me.

You can? Incredible talent you have.

May as we'll send him to college.

You can? Incredible talent you have.

well obviously i can't know 100%, but the details suggest he didn't. if he did, he'd have gotten caught a lot sooner. this was no drug seller. he didn't have a pre-paid, he wasn't using dead drops, he was making withdrawals over 10gs, he thought it was cool to just randomly ask about huge quantities of different illicit drugs to someone he had met 5 mins ago in a public place, he didn't change the location of the meeting to something he could control...i could go on, but it's clear the guy was a bambi. the ones who not only conspired, but did do these things, however, are getting lighter sentences. that's outrageous, and i always call a spade a spade.

anyway, innocent until proven guilty, in jure. also the fact that he was loaded..it would be sorta silly to turn to one of ur NFL friends and say "man i gotta get my tax on this bud cuz i'm really hurting on my fourth mortgage." he admitted helping distribute marijuana...at cost. normally, when someone says "at cost" they're lying out their ass. but for the previously stated reason(s), he's probably being honest.

thanks for your contribution, Feyettenam. While you're getting around to addressing the rest of my post instead of selective quoting the unimportant parts, I got a question: did you ever buy something from somewhere and then resell it somewhere else for a higher price? because that's the worst this person has been accused of. emphasis on accused.

Last edited:
I seriously considered responding to your points, one at a time, but I think it best just to leave things alone. You seem to view getting involved in cocaine trafficking as, at worst, somebody just reselling something they bought in a store so uh yeah....I'm going to go enjoy my well deserved bowl after a long day at work.

I seriously considered responding to your points, one at a time, but I think it best just to leave things alone. You seem to view getting involved in cocaine trafficking as, at worst, somebody just reselling something they bought in a store so uh yeah....I'm going to go enjoy my well deserved bowl after a long day at work.

the guy didn't traffic cocaine.

the commodities are different, but beyond that, what's the difference?

have fun smoking ur bowl (which u do deserve). come back when you have valid points. or PM them to me b/c i'm open to debate. If ypuo're just going to play the "dmcheatw simply can't understand card," after throwing stones at me, then i'd ask you to look into the mirror. i think you are the actual problem, because your bowl appears to be okay by your logic, whereas cocaine is CROSSING THE LINE!!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/25/the-wire-creator-david-simon-eviscerates-the-war-on-drugs/

Last edited:
i don't see how you get 15 for this--posessing a couple pounds of a processed plant for less than an hour--whereas vick systematically tortured dogs and received a much lighter sentence and was allowed to return to FB. In 15 years sam won't be fit for football, and i imagine has little education and will likely have a hard time finding a job.

i hope he has managed his money over his career well, but the article suggests he probably didn't.

In IL, average murderer spends 10.3 years in jail, sexual assault is 4.1.

Ironically, we offered a NIU commit, wide receiver and Hurd's school. Last name is Lewis.

dmcheatw, I see your point. I just read the entire article, an interesting read overall. Based on that article, everyone who was actually involved in the cocaine game just kept rolling over and dumping it all on Hurd.

Yes, he should do time, but 15 is excessive. And what ever happened to the $88k?

I definitely have a lot of respect for the system and the people who are working it, putting their lives on the line.

However, at the end of the day once all the chips fall, it works like this: the government is basically going to grab the dumbest guy they can get with the most money. Its often a noob who for whatever reason has extra cash and some friends and a brilliant idea to get involved in something like this instead of investing legitimately. The smart guys who are mid-level and actually know what they are doing turn informant, and are perfectly positioned to do so. The real bad guys at the very top who are making things happen are too far removed (often overseas) and at a certain point the goverment decides they won't be able to collect enough evidence on them. So they target the new money. Whatever your feelings about guilt/innocence and whether the system serves those ends, this is the way it works. Its like a game of musical chairs. Someone will be left standing and its usually the guy who is the most perplexed as to how he got there.

Its justice for sure, but it is by no means a perfect system.

dmcheatw, I see your point. I just read the entire article, an interesting read overall. Based on that article, everyone who was actually involved in the cocaine game just kept rolling over and dumping it all on Hurd.

Yes, he should do time, but 15 is excessive. And what ever happened to the $88k?

thanks for seeing my point, almost nobody on these boards ever does for some reason.

government is definitely gonna keep that 88k...the guy is a cocaine trafficker!!! (according to the govt) and i think there was some flakes of weed in the car anyway. too bad cause that's definitely NFL money not drug money, and he's more than likely really gonna need it 15 years from now, whereas before it was obviously chump change.

TwentyOne is right about everything except the last sentence. i have a sociology book not more than 10 years old that opens the relevant chapter with the title "an unjust system of justice." but anyway a lot of those informants are actively dealing, and they never give up the really big fish, partly because of what Twenty said and partly because they want to continue to draw breath on this earth haha.

when you're reading the article you can see how the police help entice people to break the law in order to arrest them. they were salivating at the idea of getting an NFL player, and the ensuing publicity. both those agents have probably been promoted/pay raise since this happened. Major victory and feather in your cap from LEO perspective. Lotta wasted resources from my perspective...

Back