• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Catholic Church Shines Again....

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...en-galway-mass-graves-ireland-catholic-church

The bodies of 796 children, between the ages of two days and nine years old, have been found in a disused sewage tank in Tuam, County Galway. They died between 1925 and 1961 in a mother and baby home under the care of the Bon Secours nuns.

Locals have known about the grave since 1975, when two little boys, playing, broke apart the concrete slab covering it and discovered a tomb filled with small skeletons. A parish priest said prayers at the site, and it was sealed once more, the number of bodies below unknown, their names forgotten.

The Tuam historian Catherine Corless discovered the extent of the mass grave when she requested records of children's deaths in the home. The registrar in Galway gave her almost 800. Shocked, she checked 100 of these against graveyard burials, and found only one little boy who had been returned to a family plot. The vast majority of the children's remains, it seemed, were in the septic tank. Corless and a committee have been working tirelessly to raise money for a memorial that includes a plaque bearing each child's name.

For those of you unfamiliar with how, until the 1990s, Ireland dealt with unmarried mothers and their children, here it is: the women were incarcerated in state-funded, church-run institutions called mother and baby homes or Magdalene asylums, where they worked to atone for their sins. Their children were taken from them.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...en-galway-mass-graves-ireland-catholic-church

The bodies of 796 children, between the ages of two days and nine years old, have been found in a disused sewage tank in Tuam, County Galway. They died between 1925 and 1961 in a mother and baby home under the care of the Bon Secours nuns.

Locals have known about the grave since 1975, when two little boys, playing, broke apart the concrete slab covering it and discovered a tomb filled with small skeletons. A parish priest said prayers at the site, and it was sealed once more, the number of bodies below unknown, their names forgotten.

The Tuam historian Catherine Corless discovered the extent of the mass grave when she requested records of children's deaths in the home. The registrar in Galway gave her almost 800. Shocked, she checked 100 of these against graveyard burials, and found only one little boy who had been returned to a family plot. The vast majority of the children's remains, it seemed, were in the septic tank. Corless and a committee have been working tirelessly to raise money for a memorial that includes a plaque bearing each child's name.

For those of you unfamiliar with how, until the 1990s, Ireland dealt with unmarried mothers and their children, here it is: the women were incarcerated in state-funded, church-run institutions called mother and baby homes or Magdalene asylums, where they worked to atone for their sins. Their children were taken from them.

At what point do high mortality rates equal murder? It sounds to me like the Catholic church starved and abused children until they died and threw them in a septic tank to rot.

Pretty sure Jesus wouldn't have done that...

I doubt that you're a descendent of anyone in that sewage tank.

I am of full Irish-Catholic descent, with several ancestors who came over at that time. They may have been fleeing the Mother and Baby Homes or other similar persecution. I should be partying in County Galway right now downing beers in preparation of the World Cup; instead I am sitting in Charlotte still pissed about [Redacted]. Pay up, Pope Frankie.

I am of full Irish-Catholic descent, with several ancestors who came over at that time. They may have been fleeing the Mother and Baby Homes or other similar persecution. I should be partying in County Galway right now downing beers in preparation of the World Cup; instead I am sitting in Charlotte still pissed about [Redacted]. Pay up, Pope Frankie.

I think the man makes a colorable claim. Especially when the aggravating [Redacted] factor is added in.

This is what the movie Philomena is about. Maybe the hardest movie I have ever watched.

What an appalling story. Answers need to be forthcoming. It's one thing to live in a culture that shuns the idea of unmarried mothers. It is quite another to create a culture that, by all appearances, abused and killed them.

What an appalling story. Answers need to be forthcoming. It's one thing to live in a culture that shuns the idea of unmarried mothers. It is quite another to create a culture that, by all appearances, abused and killed them.

To quote a local scholar, this is what happens when people stop going to church.

Do you realize how the first sentence could, over the years, lead to the second?

I'm sure the unwed fathers of these children were dealt with similarly harshly

Back