• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Coliseum vs. "The Joel"

If there's not already a time limit on them I would expect Wake to find a way out of those stipulations ASAP. Too much money to be had by selling naming rights to the lobby alone.

Will you still have to walk through the boneyard to get to the entrance?

I'm surprised Wake agreed to those terms. The lobby and plaza are one thing but the side of the building and marquee are pretty big deals. Who wants to buy naming rights if you have competing signage. I guess we will be stuck with some stupid long name or Krispy Kreme Kourt bullshit.

Signage is a tiny part of the value of a naming rights contract, especially given the location of the Joel. And the "competing" signage will obviously be much smaller since it's not the name of the building, just the name of a memorial on the plaza outside of the building.

Signage is a tiny part of the value of a naming rights contract, especially given the location of the Joel. And the "competing" signage will obviously be much smaller since it's not the name of the building, just the name of a memorial on the plaza outside of the building.

I didn't read it that way. Sounded like retaining the name of the building on the side of the building. Whatever. And if we don't get off ESPN 3 there's not much value anyway.

I didn't read it that way. Sounded like retaining the name of the building on the side of the building. Whatever. And if we don't get off ESPN 3 there's not much value anyway.

c. Retention of “Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial” on façade of Coliseum.

That's not the name of the building. That's putting the name of the memorial on the side of the building near the memorial. The name of the building would obviously be far more prominent. Again, doesn't matter though as the signage just isn't a large part of any naming rights deal for the Joel. Unlike the downtown baseball stadium, where the signage is very important, similar to Groves, the value for naming our basketball coliseum comes from mentions in articles, on TV, etc. It's a far more regional, or even national for basketball, benefit.

Still cracks me up that the announcers were moved from court side to the rafters. When did that happen? Was it year 2 of the [name redacted] disaster?

I'm glad that we fired [Redacted] before we changed the name. It would've sucked to have the only name option the Casio G-Shock Dome.

Its not like the Joel is going away, do people call Groves "BB&T" outside of TV announcers?

I caught myself calling it BB&T Field the other day, and wondered when the switch had happened in my brain. I'm sure current students, those who go to games at least, call it BB&T Field because that's what it has always been for them. Like Hearn Plaza and Manchester Plaza that I'll always call the quad and the mag quad.

Still cracks me up that the announcers were moved from court side to the rafters. When did that happen? Was it year 2 of the [name redacted] disaster?

Yeah, I know its a minor thing, but I'm still totally against this. Its bush. It reflects poorly on us. Instead of getting a nice shot of the announcers court side with a full lower bowl before tip off, we have a cockeyed view of the empty upper deck behind the basket. Announcers are audibly annoyed by it. Every once in a while, when refs are discussing a call, you'll hear the announcers say something like, well, we'd like to report whats going on right now but we can't hear what they are saying. Announcers often mistake players for each other, giving credit for a steal to the wrong guard, for example, because it is difficult to read the jersey numbers.

I realize they do it at Cameron. LVJM is not cameron. It seats 15k. We should be able to find two seats for the TV announcers court side like nearly every other basketball arena on the planet.

They have a whole booth near mid court and can prob see what's happening better from that vantage point. Let's not pretend they are in the rafters.

The only disadvantage is not being able to talk to the refs.

They have a whole booth near mid court and can prob see what's happening better from that vantage point. Let's not pretend they are in the rafters.

The only disadvantage is not being able to talk to the refs.

And I'm not saying its travesty or anything. But to my knowledge (and correct me if I'm wrong), we are the only program in the nation that puts the announcers upstairs for reasons other than physical limitations (to sell two extra VIP tix). Is that right? Why do we feel comfortable being the only program to do that? Seems odd.

I'm all for colosseum if:

1. We have gladiator shows during the off season.

2. We erect a giant statue of the Emperor Nero in front of it.

3. We win, and win a lot in it.

Back