• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Curious Case of Trayvon Martin

Can someone who has followed this case give me a factual answer to the following question: Did TM physically attack Zimmerman?

I honestly have seen 17 different scenarios described...not sure what is true.

Was there a fist fight of some kind before Zimmerman shot?

You asked if I was in trayvons shoes if I would have been stopped by Zimmerman and I answered yes. But I would have never been shot due to not reacting in a manner that would have escalated the situation. I don't believe Zimmerman approached Martin gun drawn or even discussing having a weapon. I don't believe Zimmerman wanted to shoot Martin but that he feared for his life. If you believe Martin would have been shot in the back after putting Zimmerman on his back if he had turned and ran that is laughable. No one would purposefully take on a man with a gun .

Why is that laughable? It's pretty trusting to assume that an armed person you just put on his back won't shoot.

Did they ever say where Zimmerman's gun was holstered?

On his side?...at his back?

Was there a fist fight of some kind before Zimmerman shot?

Crickets yet again to your question asking about the facts in the case.

Guess no one really knows what happened that night, which was probably enough for reasonable doubt.

In totally unrelated news, after 25 years as a registered voter, I received my first jury summons last week.

Question for anyone that has followed the case... Clearly none of us knows exactly what really happened, but, if you had to sketch out the scenario of how the whole thing probably went down, what would you say? I haven't followed the case that closely, but, I really don't know...
The only way it makes sense to me is that Z, being the paranoid, cop-wanna-be, neighborhood watch-guy, approached TM and asked him who he was/what he was doing/where he was going. Presumably Z was motivated to do so b/c TM was black and was wearing a hoodie. But, I am not sure that is even totally necessary - I think Z would have been likely to approach and question anyone he didn't recognize?? [what do others think on this point?]
At some point, the altercation turned physical. TM may have been annoyed/pissed at being questioned - maybe he smarted-off in response. Maybe Z grabbed or pushed him, telling him to leave the neighborhood. TM shoved back and it escalated. At what point does Z decide to shoot to kill? Why not show the gun and threaten? Why not shoot TM in the leg or arm? I guess Z would say he was on his back getting beat up? Still, it seems like if I could get to my gun I could also point it at his leg - or something? I guess the fear is the other person takes it away from you and shoots you with it.

Sad situation, for sure.

Question for anyone that has followed the case... Clearly none of us knows exactly what really happened, but, if you had to sketch out the scenario of how the whole thing probably went down, what would you say? I haven't followed the case that closely, but, I really don't know...
The only way it makes sense to me is that Z, being the paranoid, cop-wanna-be, neighborhood watch-guy, approached TM and asked him who he was/what he was doing/where he was going. Presumably Z was motivated to do so b/c TM was black and was wearing a hoodie. But, I am not sure that is even totally necessary - I think Z would have been likely to approach and question anyone he didn't recognize?? [what do others think on this point?]
At some point, the altercation turned physical. TM may have been annoyed/pissed at being questioned - maybe he smarted-off in response. Maybe Z grabbed or pushed him, telling him to leave the neighborhood. TM shoved back and it escalated. At what point does Z decide to shoot to kill? Why not show the gun and threaten? Why not shoot TM in the leg or arm? I guess Z would say he was on his back getting beat up? Still, it seems like if I could get to my gun I could also point it at his leg - or something? I guess the fear is the other person takes it away from you and shoots you with it.

Sad situation, for sure.

i don't know about any of the rest, but i think it was really pertinent that trayvon was black. the descriptions of the guys responsible for the break-ins that had been happening in the neighborhood was that they were black. that was the biggest issue. i do not believe he would have stopped him had he not been black.

I actually think he still would have been suspicious of a teenager in a hoodie, but I agree with Hoops in that the fact that he matched the description of the suspects in the break ins was a very large factor.

tumblr_mpxz45caHv1r5s08ho1_500.jpg

At what point does Z decide to shoot to kill? Why not show the gun and threaten? Why not shoot TM in the leg or arm? I guess Z would say he was on his back getting beat up? Still, it seems like if I could get to my gun I could also point it at his leg - or something?

When you carry a gun, you have to be willing to use it. If you pull it, you'd better pull it with the will to kill whatever you aim at. A gun is not a less lethal weapon. It escalates whatever situation it's involved into a life or death situation.

I actually think he still would have been suspicious of a teenager in a hoodie, but I agree with Hoops in that the fact that he matched the description of the suspects in the break ins was a very large factor.

"Fits the description" is always an excuse to mess with a young black guy.

I wonder if she has internal conflict when she chooses to misrepresents the facts to promote the viewpoint that she's built her career on?

Doubt it. She's pretty fucking self-assured. She also happens to be correct, especially in saying "the narrative is worded in the manner that encourages viewers to identify with the one who made the mistake by doing what we are led to feel we might all do." That's the narrative from those who see this as nothing more than self-defense.

Doubt it. She's pretty fucking self-assured. She also happens to be correct, especially in saying "the narrative is worded in the manner that encourages viewers to identify with the one who made the mistake by doing what we are led to feel we might all do." That's the narrative from those who see this as nothing more than self-defense.

It's easy to be correct about a narrative that you've created yourself.

i don't know about any of the rest, but i think it was really pertinent that trayvon was black. the descriptions of the guys responsible for the break-ins that had been happening in the neighborhood was that they were black. that was the biggest issue. i do not believe he would have stopped him had he not been black.

Based on the endless TV commercials for home security systems, everybody knows that 100% of the time it's white guys that are responsible for break-ins, particulalry when the wife or daughter is nekkid in the shower.

Based on the endless TV commercials for home security systems, everybody knows that 100% of the time it's white guys that are responsible for break-ins, particulalry when the wife or daughter is nekkid in the shower.

Attractive white women are the only potential victims of crime.

Back