• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The decision to keep bzz has nothing to do with money

I'm not sure I agree. What's killing the math is what we would owe for next year: Dino's buyout + Bzz's buyout + a new coach's salary (higher than Bzz?). Dino should be out of the equation after next season, so we'd be back to where we are now -- one buyout plus one active coach. So that double-buyout factor must be added impetus for Ron to give his mistake one more shot at a miracle next season. If I have something wrong here, please let me know.

Ron created this sinkhole, so in my opinion, the Bzz buyout should come out of his own salary, freeing up more funds to hire a new coach.

This math falls apart if we fall from 9200 paid tickets/game like this year to 7200/game this year.

RJ's correct, I used number if we got a new coach. I could just as easily have dropped the numbers which just reaffirms my point.

Good thing you're a lawyer. Let's play math...1.5B/4400=$340k

We also received a very large donation that I'm 90% certain isn't included in Jim Dunn's latest figures.

The 6/30/11 endowment figure was $1,058,250,000. And that includes the Med School endowment. The Reynolda Campus portion is closer to $650,000,000. Undergrad enrollment of approximately 4,500, total enrollment of approximately 7,100. Who can't do math?

Uh no. Jim Dunn, the CIO, just announced the endowment was at 1.5B google it. http://inside.wfu.edu/2012/02/dunn-featured-in-aicio-magazine/

Uh no. Jim Dunn, the CIO, just announced the endowment was at 1.5B google it. http://inside.wfu.edu/2012/02/dunn-featured-in-aicio-magazine/

The only place that $1.5 billion number is mentioned is in a blurb about the aiCIO Magazine article. The actual article says $1.2 billion. The school's financial statements and NACUBO study give the $1.058 billion number, as does a presentation from Bob Baker, Associate VP of Development, given at the Wake Law Board of Trustees' and Young Alumni Board's meeting on March 9 of this year (that is where all of my numbers came from). But in any event, if you are only including undergrads as students, there is no way in hell you can take the med school endowment into account (and you also should cut out some of the Reynolda campus endowment out because some of that endowment is restricted to the law school, the MBA school, and other graduate programs). Even if the endowment is $1.5 billion (which I don't think it is), the endowment per student would still only be approximately $209,000 - still well below our peers. Admit you were wrong and move on.

Last edited:
So you're citing wikipedia over an article posted on Wake's website? Now you aren't even citing wikipedia we're going off of what you "think." I apologize for pulling one incorrect figure, which has no bearing on our argument of Bzz. Then repeatedly I said, I just used it to show the school was financially healthy and making money. You had all sorts of incorrect numbers.

Of course it's below our peers Wake is a relatively "new" national school.

Last edited:
See my post above - your link is a blurb about an actual article. That actual article uses a $1.2 billion figure. The number I gave is from official financial statements as of the last FYE. I highly doubt we have seen an increase of $500 million on a $1 billion fund in the past 8 or 9 months.

Who cares about the endowment. The OP is correct. Not firing Bzz for "financial reasons" is being penny wise and dollar foolish. First, assuming there are financial pitfalls to firing Bzz since no one really knows the details of his contract...What we may lose in the short term, will be more than made up for long term.

Wellman's refusal to fire Bzz has everything to do with his arrogance, and little to do with money.

See my post above - your link is a blurb about an actual article. That actual article uses a $1.2 billion figure. The number I gave is from official financial statements as of the last FYE. I highly doubt we have seen an increase of $500 million on a $1 billion fund in the past 8 or 9 months.

DJIA is up 35% in 6 months.

WF's endowment could be $1 trillion and not a penny would go to the athletic department. The WF athletic department is supposed to operate in the black on its own. Keeping Bz has everything to do with reducing the buyout number on Bzz's contract.

Anyone that has had any dealings with the athletic department has to know that almost every decision it makes comes with the bottom line in mind.

Please show one incorrect number that I posted. I specifically said that my numbers were as of 6/30/11 and even if your $1.5 billion number is right, we still have an endowment of less than $210k per student (taking into account the med school, which cannot be touched by the Reynolda Campus).

You're right though - this has absolutely no bearing on the Bzzz argument, and on that we certainly agree a) BzzOut and b) money isn't the reason why we're stuck with Bzz.

Agreed, unfortunately this topic got completely off base. Over and over people say we can't afford to pay Dino, Bzz, and a new coach. In reality, the question should be can we afford to keep Bzz? He's costing us millions and it will compound each year as we dig deeper. We could easy be looking at 5000 attendance in a year or two. It's that bad. That's 10,000 empty seats.

Back