• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Elrod Effect

Until he comes forward and apologizes, or gives some rationale for his actions, he will always be the biggest POS ever associated Wake Forest in any capacity. Anyone that tries to defend him, makes me question their motives and loyalties as well. Only At Little Ole Wake, do we have "fans" supporting an asshat like Elrod.

I 100% agree that he will always be the biggest POS ever associated with Wake Forest in any capacity. Further, it probably doesn't depend on an apology. And I can't think of any rationale he would come up with at this point to explain his actions. If he had a legitimate defense, I'd guess it would have been made public much sooner to try to save his image.

However, For me, an apology or rationale is not associated with forgiveness. I can forgive him and still think he is the biggest black spot in our programs/schools history. And I don't support him. Bringing up that he was a good coach or used to be a good person until he betrayed Wake does not equal support.

I 100% agree that he will always be the biggest POS ever associated with Wake Forest in any capacity. Further, it probably doesn't depend on an apology. And I can't think of any rationale he would come up with at this point to explain his actions. If he had a legitimate defense, I'd guess it would have been made public much sooner to try to save his image.

However, For me, an apology or rationale is not associated with forgiveness. I can forgive him and still think he is the biggest black spot in our programs/schools history. And I don't support him. Bringing up that he was a good coach or used to be a good person until he betrayed Wake does not equal support.

I think that is a good post. I still feel sorrow for him for what he and his family went through with losing a child. That could've been what messed him up so bad to do what he did, I don't know. However, at the same time, I will never get over what he did to the Wake Forest football program. I can't think of much worse a coach could do, outside of a Sandusky situation.

I think that is a good post. I still feel sorrow for him for what he and his family went through with losing a child. That could've been what messed him up so bad to do what he did, I don't know. However, at the same time, I will never get over what he did to the Wake Forest football program. I can't think of much worse a coach could do, outside of a Sandusky situation.

Treading lightly here so I don't seem to saying that losing a child justifies his actions which I was already accused of, I agree. I think losing a child might drastically decrease your care for what happens to you after that. Lifetime ban from Wake Forest and terrible public image pales in comparison to loss of a child, I'd imagine. He got mad/bitter, He didn't care about repercussions, and if he did, probably thought he'd never be caught. Moreover, he could have thought "I lost a child and continued serving Wake Forest in my coaching capacity, leaving my grieving wife for recruiting trips, and they fire me as a coach?" Very displaced, but a possibility.

He sucks. And he probably is deservedly severely depressed at this point in his life. For his, more importantly, his families sake, I hope he finds his way out it and finds some good purpose in his life. I think an apology might do him some good.

Elrod should be tried for conspiracy and criminal racketeering. The NCAA punished no one under section 10. We should have sued Elrod and and every individual involved and still should. I'd like to know who is responsible for letting him off the hook. I'd like to know where the Forsyth County DA is for not pursuing criminal charges.

Last edited:
Treading lightly here so I don't seem to saying that losing a child justifies his actions which I was already accused of, I agree. I think losing a child might drastically decrease your care for what happens to you after that. Lifetime ban from Wake Forest and terrible public image pales in comparison to loss of a child, I'd imagine. He got mad/bitter, He didn't care about repercussions, and if he did, probably thought he'd never be caught. Moreover, he could have thought "I lost a child and continued serving Wake Forest in my coaching capacity, leaving my grieving wife for recruiting trips, and they fire me as a coach?" Very displaced, but a possibility.

He sucks. And he probably is deservedly severely depressed at this point in his life. For his, more importantly, his families sake, I hope he finds his way out it and finds some good purpose in his life. I think an apology might do him some good.

Exactly, there is a difference in saying that something caused or may have caused someone to do something and saying something justified what they did. I think it's very plausible that what you posted above is very close to or exactly what happened with him. That's not justifying it or saying it's a legitimate excuse, wrong is wrong, but very well could be the root cause.

He's had a few great quarters of football. Second half Syracuse, Louisville all game, Ga Tech first half, 3 quarters vs State. He's had some awful quarters, App State all game, Ga Tech Second Half, Duke Second half, Florida State Second half, Clemson 3 quarters.

So my point is that when you run the same vanilla offense at times in a year we are sure the D doesn't have "our 5 'special' plays", and get the same results that we did 1-2-3 years ago, the problem was not Elrod. Elrod is a POS, who attempted to hurt his alma mater. That sucks, as stated many times. But his impact wasn't that great.

I agree that Ruggiero reverted to his FSU, App ST and GT playcalling. Whatever motivation Clawson gave Ruggiero before Louisville had worn off by Duke. We just looked lost on offense with stupid plays and then Wofford throwing a bomb every series. Our player of the game was Maggio in my opinion, and whenever the only player who distinguishes himself is the punter, we should not be surprised that we lost. Crappy conservative play calling combined with no pass rush and the DB's playing 5 to 8 yards off the receivers meant we were destined to lose.

I agree that Ruggiero reverted to his FSU, App ST and GT playcalling. Whatever motivation Clawson gave Ruggiero before Louisville had worn off by Duke. We just looked lost on offense with stupid plays and then Wofford throwing a bomb every series. Our player of the game was Maggio in my opinion, and whenever the only player who distinguishes himself is the punter, we should not be surprised that we lost. Crappy conservative play calling combined with no pass rush and the DB's playing 5 to 8 yards off the receivers meant we were destined to lose.

I think Weaver with quite a few touchbacks and 3/3 and two 40+ yarders was a co-player of the game. But I agree, you'd not like to punt 7 times vs Duke, or have your punter be the bright spot.

We left it all on the field against State, which is a better team that considerably outyarded us. The Deacs had nothing left for Duke and cannot win against an ACC opponent without maximum effort.

I recently interviewed Dave Goren, ED at NSMA and WFU football sideline reporter, on my podcast and asked him about the whole Elrod situation. Dave also talks about covering Skip's death and tells a great Skip story.

You can listen here or on Apple Podcasts

Back