• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The false equivalence between FOXNews and MSNBC (and conservatives and liberals)

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
A near majority of liberals don't really care about MSNBC whereas conservatives are sheep for FOXNews.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/06/why-msnbc-is-in-trouble-190281.html?hp=r8
Public perceptions of two major news sources – MSNBC and the Fox News Channel (FNC) – are deeply divided along ideological lines. ... One thing that differs when it comes to MSNBC is that it does not draw the same uniformly positive reviews from consistent liberals that FNC does from consistent conservatives. While nearly half (45%) of consistent liberals view MSNBC favorably, that’s not much better than how MSNBC rates among those with mixed ideological views (38%). Nearly half of consistent liberals offer no opinion of MSNBC. By contrast, the vast majority of consistent conservatives offer an opinion of Fox News, with 74% favorable and just 5% unfavorable.

Let's keep today's snark-off on the NBA thread, ok?

Let's keep today's snark-off on the NBA thread, ok?

1310502092448.jpg

but seriously, i don't know any "liberals" who consistently watch or 'rely' on MSNBC for anything

but seriously, i don't know any "liberals" who consistently watch or 'rely' on MSNBC for anything

I watch the Morning Joe podcast (essentially the first hour) and that's it. Maybe if I'm in a hotel during the afternoon, I'll turn it on if nothing decent is on ESPN. That's it.

I've started watching Melissa Harris-Perry sometimes since she was hired by Wake. (But yeah, I don't rely on the 24 news networks for news.)

But MSNBC has been almost as good as Fox News at getting the other side to hate them, so they have that at least:

pew.png

Last edited:
but it's hardly your sole source of news

Exactly. NPR is the primary source. Stuff that gets posted here and Facebook is the secondary source. I probably watch The Daily Show once a week. Colbert less. As far as the 24 hours, I doubt I'll watch more than an hour of TV news between now and Election Day.

avalon, my biggest takeaway from that chart is that consistently conservative people are much more likely to have a real opinion on either network.

Last edited:
An important difference between conservatives and liberals is that conservatives don't burn a lot of calories convincing themselves that liberals only get their information from news sources we don't approve of. We don't care where you get your bad ideas from.

I've started watching Melissa Harris-Perry sometimes since she was hired by Wake. (But yeah, I don't rely on the 24 news networks for news.)

Both MSNBC has been almost as good as Fox News at getting the other side to hate them, so they have that at least:

pew.png

Most "consistent" conservatives and liberals I know are anything but ideologically consistent.

An important difference between conservatives and liberals is that conservatives don't burn a lot of calories convincing themselves that liberals only get their information from news sources we don't approve of. We don't care where you get your bad ideas from.

i guess the takeaway here is that at least liberals have some good ideas

he typed on the politics section of a message board, unconvincingly

i guess the takeaway here is that at least liberals have some good ideas

The liberal heartburn over Fox News is amusing. If you have confidence in your ideas, you shouldn't be so scared of dissenting voices. Conservatives don't care about MSNBC. It's weird that you guys feel the visceral need to run down Fox News at every turn. So your monopoly on news is over? Big deal. Take those "good ideas" and win with them....but the need to constantly denigrate the very existence of opposing voices doesn't speak well for your confidence in how "good" those ideas really are.

unless the dissenting voices are wrong. dangerously inflamatory or deliberately misleading

The liberal heartburn over Fox News is amusing. If you have confidence in your ideas, you shouldn't be so scared of dissenting voices. Conservatives don't care about MSNBC. It's weird that you guys feel the visceral need to run down Fox News at every turn. So your monopoly on news is over? Big deal. Take those "good ideas" and win with them....but the need to constantly denigrate the very existence of opposing voices doesn't speak well for your confidence in how "good" those ideas really are.

Wrong. The chart shows conservatives are the only ones who care about MSNBC.

I will not laugh at Fox news when someone, anyone over there says that a conservative idea, thought or action is or was stupid instead of every utterance being a conservative cheering section.

So-called "liberals" divide their loyalties among a plethora of TV news options. So-called "conservatives" don't.

I mean, c'mon, half you clowns use John Stewart as a source for news. You have no room to look down on anyone.

So-called "liberals" divide their loyalties among a plethora of TV news options. So-called "conservatives" don't.

I mean, c'mon, half you clowns use John Stewart as a source for news. You have no room to look down on anyone.

And viewers of The Daily Show and Colbert Report are consistently the most well-informed. Only correlation, obviously.

In fact, Colbert Report was just named the television source most informative on campaign finance reform - more than any of the major networks.

Back