• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Fix Was In

MrBojangles

Reaction score
Having a hard time sleeping. Keep thinking about the officiating in the UNC game.

I have never, in over 40 years of watching football, ever seen so many flags that were thrown by officials, then picked up and waived off for one reason or another. I know that it actually helped us once or twice, including the TD after the phantom chop block, but I can’t remember than ever happening before this year.

My roommate for Wake spent part of the first half explaining to my son what “Carolina Refs” meant last night, and it was worse than ever example of this.

The failure to overturn the TD on replay when he clearly broke the plane, while laying on the UNC player. The holding call at the end, when the same call could have been made against UNC at least 7 or 8 times in the game. The failure to call Pass Interference against the Carolina DBs on so many plays. It felt like we were playing against 18 last night, maybe 19, instead of 11. Failing to review the spot where Hartman actually fumbled the ball forward, which was clearly on the 7 yard line from the Jumbotron.

Can not explain this except that ACC wanted Carolina to win.

But wait, there’s more. The missed blatant facemask on Turner with the ref watching in perfect position. The picked up PI when Greene was being tackled before the ball arrived. If it’s not PI, why was the flag thrown? The fact that unc did not get called for a single hold outside of the one we declined because 40 stopped them in the backfield. And then you call holding in that situation, with 2 mins left on our last drive!? Horrible.

How about Downs getting a half yard head start every fucking play? We were beside ourselves. Only called once. It was insane
lol that didn't even get mentioned in the game thread, but he was false starting 2-3 times down the stretch. It looked like the XFL where they let the guy get a full-head of steam towards the LOS before the ball is snapped.

I have no idea what goes on "behind the scenes" or in the off-season but you would think the programs who are fucked annually by biased UNC officiating (that would MOST member teams) would eventually band together and demand changes from the ACC Commissioner. It's blatantly obvious and has been for decades. I mean look at the Duke game this season. It only took ONE critical call to completely change the outcome of that game. It's a mistake to count total penalties and attempt to make an argument of equitable treatment by the officials. It is WHEN the calls are made and HOW they affect critical in-game situations. You only need one call to change an entire game (see Duke and Wake). So, comparing total penalties is foolish. I've followed Wake for 50+ years and seen it forever. Unfortunately, I do not ever see it changing.

This is orchestrated if not mandated from the ACC offices. Only way. And when has an official, reviewed by his own peers, ever suffered for incompetence? Sending film or complaints to the ACC to be reviewed by the head of Officials is like sending money to ramsom the King of Nigeria and expecting a return. So much money in college football you know there is manipulation and corruption. The Zebras are a good place to start. Better to call AT&T customer service for satisfaction.

This is orchestrated if not mandated from the ACC offices. Only way. And when has an official, reviewed by his own peers, ever suffered for incompetence? Sending film or complaints to the ACC to be reviewed by the head of Officials is like sending money to ramsom the King of Nigeria and expecting a return. So much money in college football you know there is manipulation and corruption. The Zebras are a good place to start. Better to call AT&T customer service for satisfaction.

The problem is eyeballs and butts. The ACC sure as hell does NOT want a Wake Forest playing Georgia Tech in Charlotte in front of 30K fans. It is FAR more attractive for the brand to have 70K rednecks wearing baby blue and hunting orange and being hyped 7x24 on ESPN. If anyone can't see this for what it is, then, I don't know what else to say.

Can’t really blame them. It’s all about butts in seats and eyeballs on TV sets. It’s a business. And in 10 years or whenever the current crappy ACC tv deal expires, ACC wants to show compelling attendance and eyeball numbers. Pimping the brands that most move the needle. 💰💸

Sucks for the other programs.

Just remembered the no call on the 2 point conversion, when they had made the exact PI call on nearly the exact same play, as Carolina was attempting their 2pt conversion on the 1st try. I still feel sick about this game.

Never again will I assume this game is really fair.

But wait, there’s more. The missed blatant facemask on Turner with the ref watching in perfect position. The picked up PI when Greene was being tackled before the ball arrived. If it’s not PI, why was the flag thrown? The fact that unc did not get called for a single hold outside of the one we declined because 40 stopped them in the backfield. And then you call holding in
After the no-call face mask, Clawson literally went to every official and crawled in his ass, pointing to the replay board. This went on during a time-out and between every play for the next series or two; not sure if that was shown on t v.. We were seriously wondering if Clawson was trying to get tossed, but fb is a different beast than baseball or basketball. But at minimum the refs would have called an unsportsmanlike penalty if not for the fact that it was one if the worst non- calls I've ever seen.
I'm sure the refs are told not to look at the replay board, but they could tell from the fan reaction of the replay that they blew this one. There's a different collective "boo" when the home team fans think the refs "missed" one, vs. the "you can't be serious" reaction from last night.
that situation, with 2 mins left on our last

Had my best betting day ever yesterday. Absolutely hammered UNC and had little to zero expectations the refs would ever allow wake to win batting something absolutely extraordinary.

I honestly think college refs are just bad.
I agree. That batted ball that they initially called a fumble in our favor - how can a ref not see that correctly?

But I also think there is a fair amount of subconscious (and some conscious) bias that affects them. Calling holding on us at the end of the game almost certainly altered the outcome, and that is a completely subjective call that could be made on almost every play.

What is the explanation as to why the PI flags were picked up? It wasn't an uncatchable ball...

Having a hard time sleeping. Keep thinking about the officiating in the UNC game.

I have never, in over 40 years of watching football, ever seen so many flags that were thrown by officials, then picked up and waived off for one reason or another. I know that it actually helped us once or twice, including the TD after the phantom chop block, but I can’t remember than ever happening before this year.

My roommate for Wake spent part of the first half explaining to my son what “Carolina Refs” meant last night, and it was worse than ever example of this.

The failure to overturn the TD on replay when he clearly broke the plane, while laying on the UNC player. The holding call at the end, when the same call could have been made against UNC at least 7 or 8 times in the game. The failure to call Pass Interference against the Carolina DBs on so many plays. It felt like we were playing against 18 last night, maybe 19, instead of 11. Failing to review the spot where Hartman actually fumbled the ball forward, which was clearly on the 7 yard line from the Jumbotron.

Can not explain this except that ACC wanted Carolina to win.

State game was worse. The picked up PI a was the right call but wrong look. You called it can’t change your mind. The 4th down play I thought Hartman got it. Should have been reviewed. where the ball hit the ground it was a first done, If his knee was down before it’s one thing but it was not reviewed. If it were state or UNCN it would be reviewed for an hour

I agree. That batted ball that they initially called a fumble in our favor - how can a ref not see that correctly?

But I also think there is a fair amount of subconscious (and some conscious) bias that affects them. Calling holding on us at the end of the game almost certainly altered the outcome, and that is a completely subjective call that could be made on almost every play.

What is the explanation as to why the PI flags were picked up? It wasn't an uncatchable ball...

It’s better to let a batted ball play out and correct it then it is to blow it dead in the event it’s actually a fumble.

It’s better to let a batted ball play out and correct it then it is to blow it dead in the event it’s actually a fumble.
I get that, but it wasn't even close to being a fumble. It was batted several feet from the line of scrimmage - I could see that from the other end of the stadium.

Back