• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The government spent $100 million trying to convict Barry Bonds.....

dartsndeacs

THE quintessential dwarf
Reaction score
And the one obstruction of justice charge they got just got overturned in appeal.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-barry-bonds-conviction-overturned-20150422-story.html

The costs of the Feds' obsessive pursuit of Bonds were estimated at $55 million in early 2009. These costs have doubtlessly grown substantially in the two years since. (One estimate is that costs of the Bonds prosecution now approach $100 million). Compare these figures to the costs of the Clinton/Lewinsky investigation, $40 million, or the total costs of the 9/11 Commission investigation, $14 million. Remember that steroids are considered only a "Schedule III" controlled substance under federal law and are legally purchased with a prescription. MLB players were never tested for steroids until 2002 — after some of the alleged steroid use that Bonds was accused of lying about before a 2003 grand jury.
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2011/04...ruction-of-justice-conviction-in-u-s-history/

I seriously doubt it cost $100 million to try Barry Bonds. The BALCO investigation overall may have cost that much if one is generous. The overall investigation was very far reaching and impacted a lot of athletes.

And in the end the one thing Bonds was most certainly guilt of is steroid use. That-- and not some obstruction conviction-- is what keeps him from the HOF.

Imma go ahead and trust the cited article over EatLeadCommie's hot take

Does anyone think that Bonds didn't use PEDs? Not at all disagreeing that the costs involved in prosecuting him are insane. But does anyone think he didn't do it?

Does anyone think that Bonds didn't use PEDs? Not at all disagreeing that the costs involved in prosecuting him are insane. But does anyone think he didn't do it?

just a ton of push ups

I don't care what he did...he was the greatest baseball player of my lifetime. Perhaps ever.

I don't care what he did...he was the greatest baseball player of my lifetime. Perhaps ever.

Yep. This was established before any suspicion of PEDs.

Interesting that you got that from Lew Rockwell's web site. Just about the only difference between Rockwell and Ted Nugent is Rockwell is not a has been rock star. I would love to lock Rockwell and Bob Knight Fan in a room together for a few hours and see what happens...

Interesting that you got that from Lew Rockwell's web site. Just about the only difference between Rockwell and Ted Nugent is Rockwell is not a has been rock star. I would love to lock Rockwell and Bob Knight Fan in a room together for a few hours and see what happens...

Heard the stat on the radio, google and boom

And he never played for a World Series winner.

Yes he clearly didn't carry his weight in 2002 when he hit .471 with OBP of .700 and a slugging percentage of 1.294(!).

Roids or not those stats are just stupid in a 7 game series.

He did. Well after he established his greatness.

the whole PED witch hunt is stupid

joe biden is a super donk

Court of public opinion still counts, just like it does with Pete Rose, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Roger Clemens et al. They will not live to see the Hall of Fame.

Back