• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Ideas Thread: Health Care (New) Ideas

To control medical spend, you need to start with Medicare and Medicaid.

On Medicaid, I would do two primary things. First, Id develop delivery models centered around PCMHs and highly integrate them with other specialties, including MH/SA. I would also add a reward system for appropriate management of conditions. Lets give people some financial incentive to manage their conditions. Cash works well. Some shared savings.

For Medicare, clearly expand bundled payments and move towards tiered reimbursement of docs based on outcomes (both cost/quality). I would ban medicare supplement policies. I would also include end of life counseling as a benefit. Last, everyone signing up for Medicare would be required to have a living will / HC POA.

On the private market, I would tax any benefit with higher value than a baseline HSA plan. I would require every physician to post their fees/disclose what things costs prior to treatment. I would also require there be some form of cost share on any service (sliding scale based on income). I would introduce the Medicare like cost/quality provider designations for consumers. I would create a high risk pool for folks with pre-ex conditions and allow insurers to underwrite and differentiate rating based on lifestyle choices. Id go as far as varying rates based on adherence to selected treatment protocols (diabetics who are well managed pay a lower rate).

That would be day 1...

Last edited:
Something we haven't talked about is how much would be saved if the poor, near poor and uninsured had access to primary care physicians rather that using extra expensive ERs as their primary care providers.

The savings aren't just the immediate ones for those instances. By being able to see doctors regularly easily treated conditions often won't grow into life-threatening ones that that have massive costs.

To control medical spend, you need to start with Medicare and Medicaid.

On Medicaid, I would do two primary things. First, Id develop delivery models centered around PCMHs and highly integrate them with other specialties, including MH/SA. I would also add a reward system for appropriate management of conditions. Lets give people some financial incentive to manage their conditions. Cash works well. Some shared savings.

For Medicare, clearly expand bundled payments and move towards tiered reimbursement of docs based on outcomes (both cost/quality). I would ban medicare supplement policies. I would also include end of life counseling as a benefit. Last, everyone signing up for Medicare would be required to have a living will / HC POA.
On the private market, I would tax any benefit with higher value than a baseline HSA plan. I would require every physician to post their fees/disclose what things costs prior to treatment. I would also require there be some form of cost share on any service (sliding scale based on income). I would introduce the Medicare like cost/quality provider designations for consumers. I would create a high risk pool for folks with pre-ex conditions and allow insurers to underwrite and differentiate rating based on lifestyle choices. Id go as far as varying rates based on adherence to selected treatment protocols (diabetics who are well managed pay a lower rate).

That would be day 1...

The bolded ones are perfect ideas

Bama - thanks for bringing much knowledge and insight to the thread. Posrep when I get to a computer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Something we haven't talked about is how much would be saved if the poor, near poor and uninsured had access to primary care physicians rather that using extra expensive ERs as their primary care providers.

The savings aren't just the immediate ones for those instances. By being able to see doctors regularly easily treated conditions often won't grow into life-threatening ones that that have massive costs.

The new hospital in Clemmons has both an urgent care and an emergency room so when you enter, you are immediately assessed by a nurse to determine what level of care you receive.

The new hospital in Clemmons has both an urgent care and an emergency room so when you enter, you are immediately assessed by a nurse to determine what level of care you receive.

Wow, that's really smart. Is this common?

Wow, that's really smart. Is this common?

Extremely. The urgent care side of things tends to get staffed by PAs, and unexpectedly complex cases get transferred or signed off on by MDs. Where I work, there are four separate ER "pods" based on acuity, ranging from "oh, shit, I can't believe you're still alive" to "GTFO with your runny nose".

Turns out instead of an idea thread we just need to sit in on a lecture from Bama.

In the UK NHS gives bonuses to doctors for getting patients to do things like join a gym, stop smoking, have consistent weight loss and other goals. Although, I'm sure there would be crooked doctors who fake data and insurance companies who refuse to pay legit results, this could be a good set of incentives.

Maybe we should go a step further and incentivize patients with rate reductions for doing certain things.

In the UK NHS gives bonuses to doctors for getting patients to do things like join a gym, stop smoking, have consistent weight loss and other goals. Although, I'm sure there would be crooked doctors who fake data and insurance companies who refuse to pay legit results, this could be a good set of incentives.

Maybe we should go a step further and incentivize patients with rate reductions for doing certain things.

Good luck getting the Republican Party to agree that fat people or sick people, or (God forbid) POOR fat sick people, should be given cash or rate reductions for managing their conditions. This is 'Murica, the land of personal responsibility, and their health problems are their own damn fault and they need to be cut off from government help of any kind until they get their act together, preferably using bootstraps.

I've learned a lot on this thread, but one thing I didn't have to learn here is that the US should NOT emulate the NHS. One thing the NHS has proven conclusively over its sixty some years of existence is that government cannot efficiently provide health care.

Like here, significant changes to health care need to be made in the UK, but for different reasons. We should not make the same mistakes.

So if the NHS has something that works, we shouldn't use that aspect. because other parts of the NHS don't work.

Your position makes no sense.

So if the NHS has something that works, we shouldn't use that aspect. because other parts of the NHS don't work.

Your position makes no sense.

I didn't say that. You did. I simply said we should not emulate the HHS.

And the NHS is in a financial crises. Expect many things, like special incentives, to be cut. The system is unsustainable as is.

The ONLY thing I talked about was that one program. You then said we shouldn't emulate them.

The most logical conclusion is that we shouldn't emulate what was stated. You know this is so.

At the very least, you should say your post was confusing and could easily lead to a response like mine.

The ONLY thing I talked about was that one program. You then said we shouldn't emulate them.

The most logical conclusion is that we shouldn't emulate what was stated. You know this is so.

At the very least, you should say your post was confusing and could easily lead to a response like mine.

RJ, I was speaking in the broader sense, and if you didn't catch that, than I apologize for not communicating more clearly. You could obviously find aspects of any healthcare system anywhere in the world that we should emulate. Like say, having doctors in it.

I've learned a lot on this thread, but one thing I didn't have to learn here is that the US should NOT emulate the NHS. One thing the NHS has proven conclusively over its sixty some years of existence is that government cannot efficiently provide health care.

Like here, significant changes to health care need to be made in the UK, but for different reasons. We should not make the same mistakes.

Finland and Japan, just as two examples, provide strong evidence to contradict this incredibly broad assertion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Finland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_system_in_Japan

It would be just as untrue for RJ to say "One thing the US has proven conclusively over the past sixty years is that the private sector cannot efficiently provide health care". It is true that the US system does not, by any stretch of the imagination, efficiently provide health care, but it is a vast leap to extrapolate that to the conclusion that it is impossible for an efficient private health care system to exist, which is what you are doing in your claim about government-run healthcare.

Good luck getting the Republican Party to agree that fat people or sick people, or (God forbid) POOR fat sick people, should be given cash or rate reductions for managing their conditions. This is 'Murica, the land of personal responsibility, and their health problems are their own damn fault and they need to be cut off from government help of any kind until they get their act together, preferably using bootstraps.

I think your health is the one area where bootstraps actually make sense. Not that we shouldn't incentify in some way but that in reality if you don't want to be obese them get off your ass and stop eating junk food. There are certainly going to be heavy set people but there really is zero excuse for being obese.

No other country seems to have an issue with it. Obviously there is something different about us. Go to Europe...you just don't see fat people. If you do they are American tourists. I personally love bloombergs efforts in NY. People need to wake up. Not only is it personally damning to be obese but it is a huge drain on the healthcare system as we treat people for over indulging their entire lives by choice.

Back