• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The last 7-0 Deacs: The story of the 1944 Wake Forest football team

Thanks for posting. That’s a good read. I learned a lot. It definitely helps explain Duke’s Southern Conference championships.

Yeah. The Sun Bowl giving out blankets. I can see why they turned it down. Can't imagine El Paso was a sexy destination back then either. The 1944 Sun Bowl was between Southwestern University and the National Autonomous University of Mexico.

Yeah. The Sun Bowl giving out blankets. I can see why they turned it down. Can't imagine El Paso was a sexy destination back then either. The 1944 Sun Bowl was between Southwestern University and the National Autonomous University of Mexico.

Southwestern (TX) University was another school with a large Navy V-12 program. It is also not far from Fort Hood.

El Paso was mostly the town nearest Fort Bliss, the largest (in area) military facility in the U.S.

Great article! Mitchell's book about Peahead Walker and his teams, is a fascinating read, and should be a requirement for every Wake fan. Wallace Wade and Duke almost always got the better of him, ending generally hot starts by Wake. Whether it was the V12 programs, or later when Wade actively recruited war vets (talk about Super Seniors), Duke was always one step ahead in recruiting that kept them a step ahead. Walker's teams generally beat down UNC and State every single year.

One obvious, additional similarity between the two teams may add a depressing note to the high times for Deacon faithful. Wake’s 1944 streak ended at seven when Walker’s club was trounced 34-0 by a 2-4 Duke team … and, Dave Clawson’s 2021 squad plays the 3-4 Blue Devils on Saturday at Truist Field in Winston-Salem.

Déjà vu Deacon blues?

Hell no…

C’mon Deacs!

Records are made to be broken. We have watched the best start in Wake Forest history. Eight and counting.

Yep.

Footnote…

Wake football was undefeated in its inaugural (single game) “season” (1888).

1-0 defeating UNC in the first-ever collegiate football game played in the state of North Carolina.

Back