• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Masters 2013 ( advise needed please )

Hondo

Reaction score
I'll try to be brief.

I've been fortunate in my golf life to have played Baltusrol ( several times ), Winged Foot ( 3 times ), Pine Valley ( twice ), Congressional ( including attending the 2011 U.S. Open ), the Ocean Course at Kiawa, Pebble Beach, Oakmont and Torrey Pines. St. Andrews, Ballybunion and visiting Augusta National during The Masters are still at the top of my wish list before I get planted.

Well, after 30 years of 'some day' wishing and once again watching all weekend, I've decided I'M GOING next year come hell or high water and taking my 3 sons with me. I don't care what it costs - WE'RE GONNA DO THIS !

Now the advise please from those here who have shared their stories on being at The Masters....

1) Will be flying down from NYC/Newark. Is it easier to fly in/from Columbia or Atlanta based on driving the rental car to Augusta ? Am thinking arrive Sunday and do Mon-Tues practice rounds and then head home Weds.

2) Where to grab 2-3 motel rooms ? Some of you have a mentioned a quaint town just over the border in South Carolina (?). My brother tells me he rented a house 5 years ago for 2-3 days about 15 minutes from the club....anyone else ever do that ?

3) Tickets. I'm not banking on winning some via the on-line May 1st lottery. My brother said 'there are ways' to get them via word of mouth. Certainly trust my bro but anyone else gone this latter route for tix ?

Beyond the above I'm pretty sure I've got the 'once you're there' course logistics, things to see and when to hit the gift shop routine memorized. And obviously the beer in green cups and the egg salad sandwiches wrapped in green saran wrap....check.

Thanks to all !!

Atlanta is a good ways from Augusta. If you can get a direct flight to Columbia I'd go that route. Augusta is a shithole of the highest order. I've never actually spent the night there. The best way to get tickets is through a friend or relative.

I'll try to be brief.

I've been fortunate in my golf life to have played Baltusrol ( several times ), Winged Foot ( 3 times ), Pine Valley ( twice ), Congressional ( including attending the 2011 U.S. Open ), the Ocean Course at Kiawa, Pebble Beach, Oakmont and Torrey Pines. St. Andrews, Ballybunion and visiting Augusta National during The Masters are still at the top of my wish list before I get planted.

Well, after 30 years of 'some day' wishing and once again watching all weekend, I've decided I'M GOING next year come hell or high water and taking my 3 sons with me. I don't care what it costs - WE'RE GONNA DO THIS !

Now the advise please from those here who have shared their stories on being at The Masters....

1) Will be flying down from NYC/Newark. Is it easier to fly in/from Columbia or Atlanta based on driving the rental car to Augusta ? Am thinking arrive Sunday and do Mon-Tues practice rounds and then head home Weds.

2) Where to grab 2-3 motel rooms ? Some of you have a mentioned a quaint town just over the border in South Carolina (?). My brother tells me he rented a house 5 years ago for 2-3 days about 15 minutes from the club....anyone else ever do that ?

3) Tickets. I'm not banking on winning some via the on-line May 1st lottery. My brother said 'there are ways' to get them via word of mouth. Certainly trust my bro but anyone else gone this latter route for tix ?

Beyond the above I'm pretty sure I've got the 'once you're there' course logistics, things to see and when to hit the gift shop routine memorized. And obviously the beer in green cups and the egg salad sandwiches wrapped in green saran wrap....check.

Thanks to all !!

1) While I can't comment on the rental car situation in Columba vs. Atlanta, Columbia is about 70 miles from Augusta, whereas Atlanta is more like 120ish miles, if that's something you want to take into account. Also, the Atlanta airport is significantly bigger than the Columbia one. Since you're going to be renting the car for an extended period of time, I would just go with whichever airport is cheapest (which I would assume is Atlanta).

2) If you're trying to save money on your hotel rooms, definitely look in North Augusta, SC or even Aiken, SC. From the Hilton in Aiken next to the Aiken Mall to the National is almost exactly 40 minutes. Same for the Howard Johnson near where Whiskey Rd. and Pine Log Rd. meet. If you're looking for something a little nicer, the Hotel Aiken on Richland Ave. in downtown Aiken is something you should consider, but it'll also probably more expensive. Again, if you end up staying in Aiken, you're probably going to have a longer drive than if you stayed in Augusta, but you'll almost certainly save money.

3) Good luck...

I haven't been in a while, but practice round tickets are usally available for purchase from scalpers. A few years back, they were around $25 to $50 buckets. Never tried to buy Thursday through Sunday tix.

I haven't been in a while, but practice round tickets are usally available for purchase from scalpers. A few years back, they were around $25 to $50 buckets. Never tried to buy Thursday through Sunday tix.

Smart, as people get tossed every year with counterfeit tickets that they bought on Washington Rd. from scalpers.

I flew to Augusta from LaGuardia (connected in Atlanta) on Delta over MLK day weekend. Tickets were actually cheaper LGA-->ATL-->AGS than LGA-->ATL....

I flew to Augusta from LaGuardia (connected in Atlanta) on Delta over MLK day weekend. Tickets were actually cheaper LGA-->ATL-->AGS than LGA-->ATL....

I was staying with friend last week and their kids flew down from NYC (not sure which airport) directly into Augusta. Not sure the cost, but don't think if was that much.
When you go, get there early and stay late so you and the boys can soak it all in. (I was there from 6:00 a.m. - 11:00 pm)
Also, by going for practice rounds, you'll be able to take your camera.

If you are looking at Atlanta as a possible place to fly into, I would at least look at flying into Charlotte. Airport to ANGC is only 8 minutes longer than Atlanta Hartsfield per Google.

We had dinner and drinks at this place Friday night. Almost positive they jacked up their restaurant prices a lot last week, but it was a pretty cool place, and I see rooms NOW start at $99.

http://www.partridgeinn.com/default-en.html

If you are looking at Atlanta as a possible place to fly into, I would at least look at flying into Charlotte. Airport to ANGC is only 8 minutes longer than Atlanta Hartsfield per Google.

We had dinner and drinks at this place Friday night. Almost positive they jacked up their restaurant prices a lot last week, but it was a pretty cool place, and I see rooms NOW start at $99.

http://www.partridgeinn.com/default-en.html

Doubt you'll be able to get a room at the Partridge Inn during Masters week unless you book it now, book it for a full week and pay a hefty price.
It's definitely one of the hot spots to stay and the bar/balcony upstairs is a great gathering place.

We stayed in Columbia, and it was about an hour to drive to the course. Not too bad. As far tickets go, your best bet is the lottery or through a friend. There are plenty of scalpers on the main road outside the gates but I wouldn't trust them at all. We got Sunday tickets in the lottery this year. Hopefully we can be that lucky again.

Doubt you'll be able to get a room at the Partridge Inn during Masters week unless you book it now, book it for a full week and pay a hefty price.
It's definitely one of the hot spots to stay and the bar/balcony upstairs is a great gathering place.

I think the Partridge Inn books rooms a couple of years in advance for Masters Week. Cool hotel though and great bar scene during the Masters.

Last edited:
The full service Marriott in Augusta is a nice Marriott, and they definitely go all out for Masters week - free continuous shuttles to the course (not that you need it with free parking), breakfast starting at 5:30 am, etc. Saw Butch Harmon and Brandel Chamblee there during the one night I stayed. You need to book by early fall, and they jack their prices way up ($350) but surprisingly leave it as a category 4 hotel if you have marriott points you can use.

Delta and I believe US Air offers service directly into Bush Field in Augusta for the Masters. Air fare is predictably going to be high but if you're splurging...

I just fly into Augusta in my uncle's Piper Saratoga. And after the limo picks us up, I stop at the first light and ask the car next to us if they have any Grey Poupon.

Delta and I believe US Air offers service directly into Bush Field in Augusta for the Masters. Air fare is predictably going to be high but if you're splurging...

I flew US Air RIC->CLT->Augusta on Thursday last week & it wasn't overly expensive.

Much thanks everyone !

The group consensus now is to fly down Weds., do first 2 rounds and return Sat.

qc - that Inn looks delightful but as Dekin said, we'll be up at dawn each day and looking to just crash at night after 15-16 hours on the course. Since we'll likely be blowing serious bucks on flights and tix, a standard safe motel with clean sheets is what we probably go for. Big brother has done Masters 6 times and is pushing for the rental house near Augusta angle.

SC - Can you rec a motel in Columbia ? 1 hour drive is fine. Very leery of trying to score tix from a scalper outside the gates.

Any follow-up advises appreciated !

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn by the Columbiana Mall. There were some other people there that were going to the Masters as well.

I've stay at the quality in off Jimmy Dyess pkwy every year and it's really convenient. Augusta isn't as bad as some people say and really is hopping during Masters Week at the local bars on Washington Rd (Somewhere in Augusta, Wild Wing Cafe, The Country Club, etc). Definitely be careful of scalpers. If you are going to go all out, just save up and hit stubhub for Tuesday practice round. There is no point in going to 2 days of practice rounds, IMO. If I were going to go, I'd go to Tuesday first and then Thursday or Sunday next. Especially if it was my first time so I could take tons of pictures and get tons of merchandise. People get so mad every year when they plan their first trip for Sunday and we are sold out of everything in the Golf shop.

Just a thought but if you want the full Masters experience, Wednesday is a great day as well. Practice round in the morning and par 3 in the afternoon. Once in a lifetime, if I couldn't be there Sunday, I would do Wednesday/Thursday. Practice rounds are a different experience for interacting with the players, watching them skip balls on 16, etc.

Just a thought - there are A TON of nice golf courses in Augusta, North Augusta, and Aiken. If you ended up staying in that area, you could mix in some rounds of golf on a day you weren't going to the tournament. I've known a good number of people that brought groups of 6 or 8 and then alternated days with 3 or 4 going to the National and the other 3 or 4 playing golf at a local course. Just a thought.

Back