• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The most perfect storm?

I am pretty sick of the whining new yorkers. Yeah there are some people that lost their houses, but guess what? when you live on the coast that is the risk you take, you have insurance and you move on. Most of these people are just whining because they were without power for a few days and have to wait in line for gas. Am working on a deal with 3 separate NYC lawyers and I cant get through one call without listening to whining about something. Enough already.

I have to disagree. I'm from NC and currently live in NYC and it's really, really bad. Lower Manhattan? Sure, most people coped ok - but the outer burroughs? Long Island? New Jersey? How many times does the temperature drop below freezing after a Hurricane? Last week we got snow and most of the hardest hit places got 6"+. When you haven't had power for 10 days and no safe way to heat your house and you're shivering at 45 degrees indoors, a snow storm with 30 degree temps is definitely worth "whining" over. When the only way to heat your house is through a generator and you have to wait in line for three hours, sometimes only to find out the station is out of gas, that's definitely worth "whining" over.

Also, the tri-state was one of the least prepared areas for a Hurricane. Comparatively, the south cannot handle snow. In 2000, Raleigh recieved nearly 2' (yes, 2 feet) of snow in about 36 hours. The city shutdown. At the time, Wake country owned 50 snow plows for a population of about a million people. Do you know how inadequate that is? School was out two weeks. Grocery stores had nothing and couldn't get trucks in to restock. Could Rochester, NY have handled 2'? Probably. But not Raleigh. Sandy was like a freak blizzard in the south.

If these attorneys live on the UES, then yeah, they shouldn't complain. Maybe their favorite restaurants were closed for a couple of days, but they likely suffered no personal ill.

But for the millions of others in harder hit areas, those people have every right to complain in my book.

I am pretty sick of the whining new yorkers. Yeah there are some people that lost their houses, but guess what? when you live on the coast that is the risk you take, you have insurance and you move on. Most of these people are just whining because they were without power for a few days and have to wait in line for gas. Am working on a deal with 3 separate NYC lawyers and I cant get through one call without listening to whining about something. Enough already.

The areas that got wrecked by this storm were wrecked badly, and the ineptitude of LIPA wound up making the recovery process way more difficult than it was. Sleep in a sub 40 degree house without power for multiple nights in a row without whining once, then come back and talk to me.

Pro Humanitate!

The areas that got wrecked by this storm were wrecked badly, and the ineptitude of LIPA wound up making the recovery process way more difficult than it was. Sleep in a sub 40 degree house without power for multiple nights in a row without whining once, then come back and talk to me.

This man knows what he's talking about.

Back