• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The new transfer rule is pure Bullshit!

DeacDoug

Reaction score
Once student/athletes enroll in a school they should have to sit out a year after transferring. These kids are now school shopping if things don't go perfectly at their original school. I believe that the s/as should be able to go pro at any time after they turn 18. If they can vote and fight for the country, they should be able to earn a living. Otherwise, they sit out a year if they decide to attend college and transfer. I will root against The Ohio State High School because of this bullshit. Georgia obviously chose the wrong guy.

Should coaches be made to sit out if they change schools?

If not, why should they be able to move but not players?

Should coaches be made to sit out if they change schools?

If not, why should they be able to move but not players?

I would be ok with letting kids leave if the coach is fired, and going elsewhere without sitting out. Kids commit to a school with a particular head coach. School breaks that deal, kids can leave.

You still can't randomly transfer and play right away. You can graduate and play right away at another school which makes sense - what would you be sitting out for?

Once student/athletes enroll in a school they should have to sit out a year after transferring. These kids are now school shopping if things don't go perfectly at their original school. I believe that the s/as should be able to go pro at any time after they turn 18. If they can vote and fight for the country, they should be able to earn a living. Otherwise, they sit out a year if they decide to attend college and transfer. I will root against The Ohio State High School because of this bullshit. Georgia obviously chose the wrong guy.

It is not the transfer rule - it is the transfer rule (now a few years old) + the new 4 games and you can still redshirt rule from last year. Those in combination are causing the transfer shopping me thinks.

Meh there has to be a happy medium. Equating coaches to players is dumb. You can’t have 85 free agents in college. Come up with something that is fair for players but college athletics isn’t developmental league for the nfl. Hell look at minor league contracts. Worse than what college players deal with.

If it’s not a developmental league and they’re STUDENT-athletes, why shouldn’t they be able to transfer like any other students can?

If it’s not a developmental league and they’re STUDENT-athletes, why shouldn’t they be able to transfer like any other students can?

They can transfer just like any other STUDENT can but as ATHLETES that are part of a billion dollar industry with scholarships and academic standards most normal STUDENTS don’t get then obviously it’s different. If you can’t recognize that then I don’t know what to say. As I said in my post make it fair to the student athletes making sure we account for both their student and athlete status. There should be some mobility and even some compensation much like grad assistants or work study students are afforded. Beyond that it does become a developmental league. And if you look at other true developmental leagues they don’t get to be free agents. They also don’t make a whole lot of money either

There should be a fair middle ground.

ETA if they wanted to transfer like other students they’d have a hard time because many wouldn’t qualify much less get a full scholarship on their academic merit.

But that's kind of the point right? They're treated as students when convenient for the NCAA but not when it's inconvenient. Not that I find this surprising, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Right. More freedom always sucks. Plantation football. We own you, your likeness, your schedule, your major. The good ole days.

But that's kind of the point right? They're treated as students when convenient for the NCAA but not when it's inconvenient. Not that I find this surprising, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy abounds! NCAA is mostly a joke. I'm not defending them. I just think there is a reasonable compromise between student and professional athlete.

Right. More freedom always sucks. Plantation football. We own you, your likeness, your schedule, your major. The good ole days.

What a joke. The plantation reference is sad and offensive to actual enslaved people, but predictable. No one owns anyone. If you want to transfer as a student then do whatever you want. If you are on scholarship it changes things. I was on scholarship (not athletics) and a condition of my scholarship was that I took certain classes. It didn't dictate my major but it had an impact on what I ended up majoring in. It was my choice to accept or not. I don't have a problem with transfer restrictions if they are reasonable. And I don't care that coaches change. Are the Lakers going to turn their roster into free agents when they fire their coach? C'mon.

I don't mind college athletes making money on their likeness, though. Only a handful are going to get nationwide shoe campaigns, but it would be awesome for local stores/groceries to pay Jamie and Sage, etc. to be in commercials. I also think scholarship athletes should get a stipend comparable to grad assistants.

I don't get the outrage. Scholarship athletes (revenue sports) already get huge scholarships, meal plans, dorms, ability to transfer with limited restrictions (much more favorable than professional rookie contracts), opportunity to earn a degree for when football doesn't pay anymore (which is sooner than later for almost everyone). This is already a way better deal and way better living conditions than the majority of guys playing in the minor leagues or other developmental leagues. Throw in the ability to profit on your likeness and a legitimate work study stipend and stop arguing over it.

One year off isn't going to kill anybody. You've got guys like 'Woods who transfer to Wake and then grad transfer to OSU High School. Ridiculous! And Woods really wan't much good.

I had to take a year off to join the nat'l Guard. I had no interest in joining the military but there was no choice. Was lucky to get in. It messed up my life for 6 years but I survived. These athletes can too.

If players want money, let them go pro. Paying players will only make the rich richer much like one-and-done rule.

Back