• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

JDawg

Reaction score
THE FREE AGENCY QUIET PERIOD IS OFFICIALLY OPEN!!! Let's get this ball rolling.

Rumors! Trades! Arbitration! Blockbuster deals! International Bids! We're gonna see it all!

First day after World Series:
-players not eligible for qualifying offers become free agents

5th day after World Series:
-last day to re-instate 60-day DL players
-last day to outright potential MiL free agents
-last day to tender qualifying offers to potential free agents

6th day after World Series:
-players not tendered qualifying offers may sign with all clubs

12th day after World Series:
-last day for players to accept qualifying offers

December 2nd
-last day to tender contracts to arbitration eligible players

December 9-12th
-Winter Meetings

December 12th
-Rule 5 Draft

------

A selection of big name free agents:
Robinson Cano!
Jacoby Ellsbury!
Shin-Soo Choo!
Brian McCann!
Masahiro Tanaka!
Ervin Santana!
Matt Garza!
Hiroki Kuroda!
A.J. Burnett!
Mike Napoli!
Nelson Cruz!
Ubaldo Jimenez!
Ricky Nolasco!
Bartolo Colon!
Bronson Arroyo!
Scott Kazmir!
Carlos Beltran!
Josh Johnson!
Marlon Byrd!
Jarrod Saltalamacchia!
Omar Infante!
Stephen Drew!
Juan Uribe!
Jose Abreu!
Joaquin Benoit!
Grant Balfour!
Jhonny Peralta!
Kendrys Morales!
Curtis Granderson!
Joe Nathan!
Fernando Rodney!
Scott Feldman!
Brian Wilson!
Tim Hudson!
James Loney!
Jason Vargas!
Roy Halladay!
Michael Morse!
Nate McLouth!
Justin Morneau!
A.J. Pierzynski!

And many more!

Saturday night, 11:59pm is the deadline to accept/decline options

WOO buy nobody and DEVELOP let's go BRAVES!

oh and find a way to dump Uggla

Over the next few days, the Mets will pay $5.5 million to buyout the Johann Santana option (the alternative is to pay him $25 million in 2014). Since joining the team in 2008, the Mets will have paid Santana more than $130 million over 6 years. During that time Santana made a total of 109 starts (18 per year average), won 46 games (less than 8 per year) and missed all of the 2011 and 2013 seasons. Long term contract for pitchers can be an organization killer. Wonder the interest level for Santana as a FA this off-season.

Cubs are looking more likely to trade Shark before next season - apparently they are far apart and he doesn't want to take a discount.

Cubs beat writer says Scott Kazmir will be target. No idea why.

Over the next few days, the Mets will pay $5.5 million to buyout the Johann Santana option (the alternative is to pay him $25 million in 2014). Since joining the team in 2008, the Mets will have paid Santana more than $130 million over 6 years. During that time Santana made a total of 109 starts (18 per year average), won 46 games (less than 8 per year) and missed all of the 2011 and 2013 seasons. Long term contract for pitchers can be an organization killer. Wonder the interest level for Santana as a FA this off-season.

And the first no-hitter in Mets' history!

Any ideas on Beltran's contract. A 1/2 years for 12-14 per wouldn't be bad. Love him playing LF/DH for O's.

i would be SHOCKED if he signed for less than $15 per.

pretty sure he's coming home to HIS RAYS (closest contender to PR).

i don't think there are ever expectations attached to who the rays will or will not re-sign. i'd expect he may have played himself out of a rays uniform, but he's on of the few guys that seemingly has that i'd be happy returning on a 2/$12 or something like that. i think a lot will depend on his market and what the rays do with price.

the little bandwagon that could is easily my least favorite aspect of red sawx nation:

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/10...ox-championship-2004-derek-lowe-jason-varitek

no bandwagon to jump on?
are you serious? one of the most historic franchises in baseball. they won 85 or more games every year but 1 in the second half of the 90s. they averaged 88 wins a year from 1995 to “finally becoming a winner.” they made the playoffs 10 times since 1995 and have more world series titles than any team but the yankees in that time-frame. they are tied for 4th in ws titles and 5th in all-time winning %.

suffice to say if you’re just now “getting used to” winning then you’re a moron or lack an incredible amount of self awareness.

by rglass44 on Oct 31, 2013 | 3:40 PM reply flag

i don't think there are ever expectations attached to who the rays will or will not re-sign. i'd expect he may have played himself out of a rays uniform, but he's on of the few guys that seemingly has that i'd be happy returning on a 2/$12 or something like that. i think a lot will depend on his market and what the rays do with price.

12 per or total?

Agree. Drives me nuts when Red Sox fans attempt to characterize themselves as long suffering. They have had six losing seasons in the last 47 years; they outspend every franchise other than the Yankees (and now maybe the Dodgers), and they have been in the mix almost every September for any Red Sox "fan" that is 50 or under. Yes, they had many heart-breaking moments in the playoffs, but at least the Red Sox have played a ton of games that matter. So telling that they could not give away Red Sox tickets last September when they sucked. Almost every fan-base remains devoted if their team wins consistently, and so, naturally, their fans turned out when their team was good. That does not make their fan base awesome.

Let's see how loyal the Red Sox nation would be if they had a recent run like the Pirates, Royals, Mariners, Jays or a number of other teams that have been essentially irrelevant for a decade+. Can't stand "Red Sox nation" and their self-perception as the best fans in baseball. Hope it's another 95 years before another W-S win in Fenway (or anywhere else) for the Red Sox.

Last edited:
Back