• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official CANCEL CONOR O'NEILL, CAM LEMONS & LESJOHNS JOB OFFER THREAD

I'm a fan of Conor's writing style. I think he does a great job. As far as the duke stuff goes, I just keep scrolling past it. Not that hard to do.

Y'all are a little hard on Cam. He can be a bit snarky and abrasive, but I don't think it is meant personal towards anyone or the team. I always assume there is a touch of sarcasm intended. I think his defense of the defense is a strange hill to die on. I get that the offensive pace can have a slightly negative impact on the D, but if they could get off blocks and tackle worth a shit, then they wouldn't be so tired to begin with.

Cam provides good inside info. If I'm paying for a premium site that's what I'm paying for.

Lol exactly this. We've got Wake fans here openly lobbying for current players to transfer, not sure what standard Cam's being held to or by who. Hope he keeps kicking the hornets nest, he's a sports writer not a waiter at a fine dining restaurant.

I'm a fan of Conor's writing style. I think he does a great job. As far as the duke stuff goes, I just keep scrolling past it. Not that hard to do.

Y'all are a little hard on Cam. He can be a bit snarky and abrasive, but I don't think it is meant personal towards anyone or the team. I always assume there is a touch of sarcasm intended. I think his defense of the defense is a strange hill to die on. I get that the offensive pace can have a slightly negative impact on the D, but if they could get off blocks and tackle worth a shit, then they wouldn't be so tired to begin with.

To be fair, he's come at me on a personal level before. On some reeeeeeaaalllll dumb shit.

Cam is a jerk to the fanbase on Twitter. That's most peoples' issue.

Cam is an insider and Conor is a reporter, right?

I think he's only an insider because he's a recent graduate who knows people on the teams. He won't have that connection for long.

Threads like this make me glad that I am off the sports beat except for Friday Night football and Saturday Night Bowman Gray racing.

Based on many of these responses I can only assume that most of you would be fine with a statue memorializing Coach K’s public service to be erected outside of the LJVM following his retirement

Based on many of these responses I can only assume that most of you would be fine with a statue memorializing Coach K’s public service to be erected outside of the LJVM following his retirement

james-mc-avoy-talking.gif

Lets just merge these boards with the Duke forums.

Like anyone cares what a Connor with two Ns in their name has to say about Conor, it’s all just a Con.

Interesting thread. Super behind, but will share a few quick responses.

1) It's tough to make it running a subscription-based site covering just Wake Forest. Several years ago, I did some Kansas recruiting writing on the side. Because that site paid for all my travel expenses, I was actually able to do more Wake Basketball recruiting interviews at AAU events, so it worked out as a benefit for Wake fans, to be honest. Even now, I also directly work with the school on the Deacon Sports Xtra stuff.

2) When Conor was let go from the WSJ, I offered him a job at Demon Deacon Digest. I'm an independent contractor, essentially owning that business, so I was offering to cut my pay dramatically to give him a soft landing spot.

3) I appreciate everyone's support all across Deacon Nation. We're at an all-time high in subsciptions and page views. The site is rocking these last couple of years, and I thank you all!

4) In the last 15 days, Cam has produced at least 16 content items on football recruiting visits, transfer portal additions and position breakdowns. This is VIP content you can't/won't get anywhere else. He really knows the game of football, works hard and is a good friend. He works at developing sources and contacts in the recruiting sphere, so it's not like his sources will suddenly 'dry up' as he gets further removed from his graduation date.

Take care and have a great week. It's an exciting time to be covering Wake Forest Athletics!

getting a side job covering Kansas = smart. getting a side job covering Duke = getting a side job trafficking children.

There... is a lot to address here.

First, regarding Conor: I'm not going to speak for him as he's a grown man who does a fantastic job and is always there to help out others. It's not like sportswriting is some super lucrative position. It's why I have a day job and Wake fills another 40-50 hours a week.

Conor works his ass off. He'll pull double duty covering bother Wake and Duke live, and it's not as if he turned into a Duke fanboy overnight. Conor remains objective about both teams, just had a great interview with Randolph Childress, there just anything I can't say about Conor that isn't positive in terms of his work ethic and his work surrounding Wake. If he turned into someone that treated Wake like the redheaded child it'd be one thing, but he was one of the early adopters of singing the praises of Alondes as one of the top contenders for ACCPOY, and hasn't wavered from that stance.

In regards to me, lets make a few things clear.

-Les has NEVER asked me to delete a tweet or board post. I generally don't delete them, whether I'm getting cooked or not. Getting flamed on the internet is a part of life, the ratio comes for us all. When I'm wrong/off base, I am. I say things Les wouldn't and vice versa.

-Is there some stuff I wish I... reworded? Sure. After that "this team isn't good" tweet, sat down had a chat with someone on staff, said what I felt and some of it was agreed with (turnovers and shooting were the two biggest parts of that), some of it off base and I've recalculated since. I said it on Les' board a few weeks ago but that's something I'm working on is how I say things, not exactly what. It's a growing pain but I have taken notice of it. It's not like every person that disagrees with me, I'm like "ah they're an idiot." Hell I call myself an idiot at least 5 times a day.

-My access has actually increased since that, not decreased. So let's not get things twisted here. My age has nothing to do with my connections and wasn't how I got into this in the first place.

-As Les said, subscriptions and page views are at an all-time high right now and thank you to all of yall that subscribe to everything Wake Forest-related. If you have a problem with me or anything I said, I'll tell you the same thing I'll tell anyone else. As long as anything you said isn't racist, misogynistic, arguing in bad faith, or has anything to do with vaccinations, feel free to shoot me a PM or DM me on twitter and let's hash things out. Happy to be an adult and talk through issues that are resolvable.

-I won't be a sunshine pumper. That's not who I am, nor is that who I'll ever be. I'll be better about letting people have fun because, well people deserve that in this hellscape of a society we live in, but I won't be someone blindly pushing sunshine. Don't think that's fair to anyone to sell them a dream. Again, sometimes I can be a bit harsh and blunt and that's something I need to work on, but you won't catch me flipping the switch like that. Sorry, not sorry. That's not the purpose of the role.

Back