• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Somewhat surprising result in Allen v. Milligan this morning. This is the Alabama Voting Rights Act case - a three-judge district court held case that the challengers demonstrated a reasonable likelihood of success on their claim that Alabama's congressional maps violated Section 2 of the VRA, which was affirmed by SCOTUS. Roberts wrote the majority opinion. Sotomayor, Kagan, and Jackson joined Roberts and Kavanaugh joined most of the opinion (most importantly, the actual holding).

Somewhat surprising result in Allen v. Milligan this morning. This is the Alabama Voting Rights Act case - a three-judge district court held case that the challengers demonstrated a reasonable likelihood of success on their claim that Alabama's congressional maps violated Section 2 of the VRA, which was affirmed by SCOTUS. Roberts wrote the majority opinion. Sotomayor, Kagan, and Jackson joined Roberts and Kavanaugh joined most of the opinion (most importantly, the actual holding).
Somewhat surprising might be an understatement.

justice brewski attempting to show he's not just a conservative partisan shill with a few decisions recently. Just the exception that proves the rule but it seems like a little weird case of feeling guilty. Or something.

does this have any impact on FL's map? wasn't it widely criticized for wiping out some historically Black districts?

Somewhat surprising might be an understatement.

This just made me laugh - it was a good case, but with the hostility Roberts has shown to the VRA, I was still surprised. I saw some pundits saying this was Roberts’s middle finger🖕in response to Dobbs, which may not be totally off base.

It’s egregious. It’s well past time for strict federal guidelines for drawing districts that do everything possible to not split cities with under 800K residents.

We also need to increase the House so each district has no more than 100K residents but that is even less likely.

It’s egregious. It’s well past time for strict federal guidelines for drawing districts that do everything possible to not split cities with under 800K residents.

We also need to increase the House so each district has no more than 100K residents but that is even less likely.
I think the house needs to be expanded, but that would result in 3319 representatives in the house. That seems a bit much.

The house would have >3500 members.

I think the house needs to be expanded, but that would result in 3319 representatives in the house. That seems a bit much.
galactic-senate-1-retina_6fd9c560.jpeg

The house would have >3500 members.

Yeah. We have the technology that would allow them to work remotely. It would be closer to what the House was when the country was founded.

The elected House reps could appoint a few state leaders from their party to mostly work from DC leaving most of the reps to work from their district.

You posted the rules in response to a post about changing the rules.

What a piece of shit. He if ignored their questions and instead went crying to the WSJ.

I'm surprised the WSJ didn't allow this one without a paywall to help get the propaganda out there ahead of the next Supreme Court corruption scandal.

I guess that's what the subsequent Fox News coverage is for.

Back