• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

We need everyone on board against fascism but we have centrists in office who won’t legislate against fascism and leftists who will only vote against fascism if it suits their specific interests.

May?
In controversial cases, they vote along party lines. We are past "may be partisan".

Breyer is totally gonna RBG this. Just another selfish old refusing to step aside for the younger generation.

Breyer is totally gonna RBG this. Just another selfish old refusing to step aside for the younger generation.

Yep. Republicans realize they’re playing a team sport.

In fairness to Breyer, can he be sure that Manchin will vote to confirm his replacement?

May?
In controversial cases, they vote along party lines. We are past "may be partisan".

I wonder if she's not read and seen the widespread negative reaction to the Supreme Court's allowing that draconian TX abortion law to stand, and is worried that eliminating Roe and pushing through the rest of their agenda is going to be more unpopular and damage the Court more than she originally thought. It still won't stop her or the other 5 right-wingers from pushing through their agenda, of course, and it's likely that they'll just project any "partisanship" or "polarization" onto progressives, like most other Republicans in government do.

I've come to think that lifetime appointments should be abolished - I understand the reasoning, but given how long the average person lives today putting someone in a position where they could serve for 50 or more years just undermines the whole concept - and I'm now in favor of an age limit for government officials. I've heard the arguments against it, but there's simply no reason that we should have at least 2 Senators - Dianne Feinstein and Charles Grassley (and I'm sure there's more) - who basically do nothing but drool on their desks while their staffs prop them up, yet they still have the voting power and in some cases the powerful Committee Chairmanships of a member of Congress. Many of these pols have turned their office into a virtual lifetime appointment. And the main reason they won't leave, like Breyer, has little to do with still being productive or still be able to contribute. Instead they've gotten used to the perks of power and having staffs to wait on them hand and foot, and they've lived in DC so long they really don't want to go back to their "home states." So they just stay until they croak, often long past senility, or at least failing health and mental ability, setting in.

If the Wikipedia info is right, Grassley hasn’t been primaried since 1980. At least Feinstein has had to face primary challenges due to the CA system.

The "we're above politics" mantra the justices parrot went out the fuckin' window in Bush v. Gore.

I've come to think that lifetime appointments should be abolished - I understand the reasoning, but given how long the average person lives today putting someone in a position where they could serve for 50 or more years just undermines the whole concept - and I'm now in favor of an age limit for government officials. I've heard the arguments against it, but there's simply no reason that we should have at least 2 Senators - Dianne Feinstein and Charles Grassley (and I'm sure there's more) - who basically do nothing but drool on their desks while their staffs prop them up, yet they still have the voting power and in some cases the powerful Committee Chairmanships of a member of Congress the Presidency. Many of these pols have turned their office into a virtual lifetime appointment. And the main reason they won't leave, like Breyer, has little to do with still being productive or still be able to contribute. Instead they've gotten used to the perks of power and having staffs to wait on them hand and foot, and they've lived in DC so long they really don't want to go back to their "home states." So they just stay until they croak, often long past senility, or at least failing health and mental ability, setting in.

Figures that jhmd bought into the Biden is senile right-wing nonsense.

Back