• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The population distribution of every person in America along racial and ethnic lines

WFFaithful

Reaction score
Click link for interactive map.

http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html

130815_MOTW_01_48StateMap.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

that's really interesting. university parkway is a pretty distinct dividing line north of dt Winston.

Unless it's just a speck on my monitor, it looks like there's one white idiot living in the middle of the Okefenokee Swamp.

The locations of the dots do not represent actual addresses. The most detailed geographic identifier in Census Bureau data is the census block. Individual dots are randomly located within a particular census block to match aggregate population totals for that block. As a result, dots in some census blocks may be located in the middle of parks, cemeteries, lakes, or other clearly non-residential areas within that census block. No greater geographic resolution for the 2010 Census data is publicly available (and for good reason).

A more accurate portrayal of the geographic distribution of residents is possible if data is available on the location of parks, buildings, and/or physical addresses. Individual dots could therefore be conditionally placed based on this data.

The "brown" spot in NC looks to be Fayetteville. If not, I can't figure out what that population center is. Brown is listed as other/Native American/mixed.

Shades of Purple, Teal, and Other Colors

Since dots are smaller than one pixel at most zoom levels, colors are assigned to a pixel depending on the number of colored dots within that pixel. For example, if a pixel contains a number of White (blue dots) and Asian (red dots) residents, the pixel will be colored a particular shade of purple according to the proportion of each within that pixel.

Different shades of purple, teal, and other colors can therefore be a measure of racial integration in a particular area. However, a place that may seem racially integrated at wider zoom levels may obscure racial segregation at the city or neighborhood level.

The locations of the dots do not represent actual addresses. The most detailed geographic identifier in Census Bureau data is the census block. Individual dots are randomly located within a particular census block to match aggregate population totals for that block. As a result, dots in some census blocks may be located in the middle of parks, cemeteries, lakes, or other clearly non-residential areas within that census block. No greater geographic resolution for the 2010 Census data is publicly available (and for good reason).

A more accurate portrayal of the geographic distribution of residents is possible if data is available on the location of parks, buildings, and/or physical addresses. Individual dots could therefore be conditionally placed based on this data.

God, some people won't even try to let you be funny. I thought "one white idiot" would be a bit of a give away that I wasn't being serious about my interpretation of the map.

But thanks for correcting me, JDawg.

The "brown" spot in NC looks to be Fayetteville. If not, I can't figure out what that population center is. Brown is listed as other/Native American/mixed.

It's probably Lumberton/Pembroke.

Looking for a landmark to orient myself, I easily found the trailer park off Peace Haven simply because it's a densely orange patch.

Back