• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Positives

"Important" win over one of the worst teams in the league. Ugh.

1. Withstood 10 - 0 run to start 2nd half
2. Only 9 TOs
3. Out rebounded them
4. Travis 7 point run at 6:35 to give us lead for good
5. Tony 8 boards and 3 steals
6. 8 FT to put game away.

Only Tech, but this was an important win for team.

How many shot clock violations and ugly shots at the end of the shot clock did we have? Seemed like possessions didn't start til there were 5 seconds left on shot clock.

I wake up in the morning and the sun is shining. I take a stretch and think 'its gonna be a great day'. I get to work and read the boards. Then I want to shoot myself. You people are a bad influence :rofl:

And while he's recruited better than Bzdk, he could be doing better. GT should be 3rd easiest school to recruit to in the ACC.

lolwut? you're not serious right? I can think of several places that are more appealing to a recruit than downtown atlanta or have better ACC bball tradition lately

lolwut? you're not serious right? I can think of several places that are more appealing to a recruit than downtown atlanta or have better ACC bball tradition lately

Look at GT's recruiting from when Cremins got there till about the last 5 years. That's 25+ years of very good recruiting. While I understand Atlanta is a city on the decline,:) it's still the biggest city in the South, and historically, GT has been an easy school to recruit to.

I'm not that impressed with Gregory either, FWIW. He had good records at Dayton, but I didn't think his style of play there would translate that well to the ACC. And while he's recruited better than Bzdk, he could be doing better. GT should be 3rd easiest school to recruit to in the ACC.

As for relative talent levels, I think we have a little more talent. They don't have anyone as good as McKie, Rice is maybe the equivalent of Harris, Reed's decent and Miller is passable down low. Don't care for Udofia - he's gotta average more TOs than assists and is quite the brick mason. They play better team D than we do, which you'd expect with Gregory, but that's about all I'd say for them.

Don't forget that this is Gregory's first recruiting class as he's had a year less than Bz to get some momentum. Recruiting shouldn't be a problem there. We'll see if his style ends up working out for them. I think he's definitely a better coach than Bz but he was still pretty far down my list last time.

And let's be honest about last night. The only reason we won is because we sucked just slightly less than they did, and it took a monumental effort by Travis for us to even be able to say that.

Don't forget that this is Gregory's first recruiting class as he's had a year less than Bz to get some momentum. Recruiting shouldn't be a problem there. We'll see if his style ends up working out for them. I think he's definitely a better coach than Bz but he was still pretty far down my list last time.

And let's be honest about last night. The only reason we won is because we sucked just slightly less than they did, and it took a monumental effort by Travis for us to even be able to say that.

He almost had 40% of our points.

40%

Get carried, Deacs

Kenpom isn't a measure of player skill.

No, let's be honest. Kenpom is whatever you want it to be whenever you want it to be...

A team that's 50-spots higher is better. That's just how it goes...

Ugly win, but it's good that Travis got his groove back and that we gave Chase some sustained run. (and gave Nikita something to put on his highlight tape when he's trying out for teams in Qatar).

Agree that it was poorly played basketball. But great game by Travis; and we won despite horrid shooting by Chase on several wide open 3s, and an off night by CJ, even though he was guarded fairly well.

Brian Gregory may be the only coach in the ACC that is unequivocally worse than [Redacted]. The dude squandered more talent and more potential than anybody I know when he was at Dayton. Classic desperation hire. Not sure it'll end well in ATL.

Brian Gregory may be the only coach in the ACC that is unequivocally worse than [Redacted]. The dude squandered more talent and more potential than anybody I know when he was at Dayton. Classic desperation hire. Not sure it'll end well in ATL.

Agreed. Never at all impressed with Gregory's resume. Brownell was the much better hire, IMHO.

Gregory was already on the hotseat at Dayton -- most of their fans wanted him gone.

We have become psychotic: we speak when we win as though we had lost...we no longer seem capable to treat wins as wins, now wins and losses are all the same. That's what hatred will do to you. It paints everything in the same color.

Let's accept the fact that we WON. Let's be glad.

I suspect we will have amble opportunity to moan and complain again before this season is ended.

:D

No, let's be honest. Kenpom is whatever you want it to be whenever you want it to be...

Exactly, a better team. A team is made up of coaching, player skill, chemistry, and a host of other factors. That's the reason Kenpom is NOT a measure of player skill as MM suggested.

Things I don't understand from the box score:
1. How can TC play point for 35 minutes and get one assist?
2. Travis made one more shot than Nikita, otherwise they have the SAME NUMBER of misses and makes.
3. We shot 32% as a team, but take OUT CJ and Chase (our only two shooters), and we shot close to 40%. In other words, Nikita, Tony, and Travis combined to shoot over 40%.

Ugly win, but it's good that Travis got his groove back and that we gave Chase some sustained run. (and gave Nikita something to put on his highlight tape when he's trying out for teams in Qatar).

:rofl: pos rep.

Back