• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Quintessential Jim Grobe/Wake Forest Football Game

Anonymous neg reppers are having a field day with this thread. Not sure what my original post said to warrant me fucking myself, as I think it's hard to dispute the fact that the game was all too familiar. Upset perhaps that I referenced aliens? The universe is a big place, my angry friend. It is certainly possible that life exists elsewhere. Admittedly, it is unlikely that alien life would land on my front lawn. You have me there.

Unfortunately, I have been watching that exact same WFU football game for thirty-five years. I'm numb to it, though, at this point.

Unfortunately, I have been watching that exact same WFU football game for thirty-five years. I'm numb to it, though, at this point.

I mean for me, this gut wrenching choke WAS a little different in that our Lou Groza award nominee kicker blew a 32 yard field goal right in the middle of the field. Other than that, same old Grobe script on how to blow a game late.

Have to get off the mat and take care of Maryland. Knowing Grobe he will play down to Edsall and the game will be 13-10 late in the 4th quarter.

At the risk of setting myself up for further disappointment, I think we kick turtle butt and win big - pay back for the embarrassment up there last year.

Now THAT is classic Wake Forest fandom.

I see we're on the same page. Which is weird, since you're usually so sarcastic. :)

Honest question: do people really believe that what we have now with Grobe can never be eclipsed by another coach? I don't, but I'd like to hear what others think. I think Grobe did the hard part, which was establishing that WF could be a legit threat in football. That was an incredible feat that can never be understated. But the next coach will enter a situation where everyone already understand that WF can not only be viable, but can play for bowls and titles. And I think there are better game coaches out there that would jump at a BCS job. So in my mind, I just don't consider Grobe as irreplaceable as most, and therefore am more critical of our persistent inability to close games or seasons. Am I wrong?

Also, the neg rep I got on this thread is so foul, and so violently angry, that I can't help but be impressed. Well done, anonymous poster. You're a wordsmith. Afterbirth as an insult, who knew? Thanks from a fellow Deacon fan!

I can't disagree, though anything less than a great hire with the next coach and Wake could regress quickly. So while Grobe did the hard part and there is upside available, the other side is also just around the corner.

It was clear that Clemson was blitzing in the 4th qtr, and the Clemson CB's were getting away with holding on the underneath routes on every play. The 4th qtr, the Refs swallowed their whistles like never before.
The pass to Camp in the end zone was a great example. The Clemson CB bumped Camp off the route 3 times outside of the 5 yard zone.
No way, Wake gets the benefit of the doubt at Death Valley.

Honest question: do people really believe that what we have now with Grobe can never be eclipsed by another coach? I don't, but I'd like to hear what others think. I think Grobe did the hard part, which was establishing that WF could be a legit threat in football. That was an incredible feat that can never be understated. But the next coach will enter a situation where everyone already understand that WF can not only be viable, but can play for bowls and titles. And I think there are better game coaches out there that would jump at a BCS job. So in my mind, I just don't consider Grobe as irreplaceable as most, and therefore am more critical of our persistent inability to close games or seasons. Am I wrong?

i don't think we will ever have a better coach for wake forest than grobe. i think the past decade has been amazing, and the mere fact that we are all so god damn pissed off that we lost to a top 10 clemson team in death valley is frankly quite incredible.

i think the best we can hope for is consistent 6-6, 7-5 type seasons with the occasional miracle like 2006. that is not LOWF at all. it's fucking reality.

i don't think we will ever have a better coach for wake forest than grobe. i think the past decade has been amazing, and the mere fact that we are all so god damn pissed off that we lost to a top 10 clemson team in death valley is frankly quite incredible.

i think the best we can hope for is consistent 6-6, 7-5 type seasons with the occasional miracle like 2006. that is not LOWF at all. it's fucking reality.

A better O coordinator with all other things being equal we flip 1/2 dozen losses to wins over the past four years. If we are where you say we are as a program which I completely agree with - that on the margin makes all the difference. That has been my point. The next fucking step is the easiest. Grobe needs to make a move.

I hate to admit it, but I knew we were going to lose this game even when we went up 28-14. Even when the Clemson PK missed that late FG, I didn't have the heart to rejoice over the probability of OT.

Grobe's team just reminds me of the old Dave Odom bb teams - we can jump out to a good lead, but we are ALWAYS going to let the opponent back into it. As soon as the picture starts looking a little too rosy, Wake's staff starts playing not to lose. And it leads to so many heartbreaks. Sigh ...

Except with out the All-American's (RR, RC, TD) on the teams.

Yeah this is spot on. Boyd was playing like crap until they were down 14 and then he played great. It helps when you have a solid offensive line and giant fucking WRs and TEs to throw jump balls to. Our D is ok but we can't stop that offense, in Clemson, when they are clicking. We also couldn't establish a deep pass game and Clemson just stacked the box, pressed the WRs, and blitzed and shut us down on the last few drives.

For the first 3 quarters our defense was getting their hands on the passes from Boyd, then in the 4th they were no where near the ball. So did Boyd suddenly up his game or we start playing soft?

You're right. They got the ball on the 33....with 52 seconds left after our 26-second offensive "series"....but it only took them one play and 10 seconds to get to the 49....and they still had all of their timeouts left.

I don't care what anyone says....and DiverDeac seems to be the only one here who understands this....but it's inconceivable to me that we would run a 26-second offensive series in that situation while we had all three timeouts left, and let Clemson get the ball back with 52 seconds left....without even having to use any of their timeouts. They were able to drive down the field for the winning FG in an almost leisurely fashion.

For the record Clemson used a timeout after Tanner was sacked. And honestly they didn't need any the way the moved the ball against our defense after that.

That's basically the story of late October/November the last 3 seasons.

We're 2-13 in conference games on Oct 15 or later in the last 3 season. The two wins were against Duke. Even if 2008, we went 2-2 in conference games after Oct 15 and the wins were against Duke (1-7) and UVa (3-5).

I don't usually post neg reps, but sometimes they're so stupid that they need to be posted:

"keep cherrypicking. hilarious how much your posting rate increases when we're losing"

It's hard to call our conference record in the last half of the season "cherry picking". Those games happened. And I'd bet everyone on these boards posts more after a loss than a win. It's amazing how many fans we have who are completely clueless and soothe themselves by ignoring the truth.

Our conference record on Oct 15 or later by season:
2001 - 2-2
2002 - 1-3
2003 - 2-3 (includes Duke)
2004 - 1-4 (only Duke)
2005 - 2-3 (includes Duke)
2006 - 5-1
2007 - 2-2
2008 - 2-4 (includes Duke)
2009 - 1-4 (only Duke)
2010 - 0-5
2011 - 1-4 (only Duke)
--------------------------
Total - 19-35 (6 vs. Duke) (.351)

For the first 3 quarters our defense was getting their hands on the passes from Boyd, then in the 4th they were no where near the ball. So did Boyd suddenly up his game or we start playing soft?

The D looked bad on the Clemson TD drive that made it 28-21. Pretty sure guys were just wide open. The rest of the drives it seemed like Boyd threw it up to Allen and their tall wide receivers on the sidelines and they were winning jump balls. I'd say Boyd played a lot better as he threw the ball where only his guys could catch it and stopped throwing over the middle where we were giving him all kind of trouble.

lack of depth.

LOWF or fact?

Seems to be a consistent trend that can't be pinned down to one season.

I'll use this to remind myself to talk specifically about the FRESH DEACS and depth when I get to the computer.

Milhouse, why can't it be lack of depth, poor recruiting, and coaching?

The thing is our staff already figured out how to deal with the lack of depth problem. I've posted on it several times since. Recruit heavily on defense. The FRESH DEACS was a very talented class, but the key was that we had plenty of defensive players to handle players who didn't pan out down the road like Drumgoole, Berry, and Causey. By 2006, we had a large class of redshirt sophomore defenders. Some were starters like Curry and Patterson. Some provided very strong depth like Phonz, Arnoux, and Vaughn.

After 11 seasons, we pretty much know what works for Grobe. The question is if he can duplicate that or find another way to win.

Milhouse, why can't it be lack of depth, poor recruiting, and coaching?

The thing is our staff already figured out how to deal with the lack of depth problem. I've posted on it several times since. Recruit heavily on defense. The FRESH DEACS was a very talented class, but the key was that we had plenty of defensive players to handle players who didn't pan out down the road like Drumgoole, Berry, and Causey. By 2006, we had a large class of redshirt sophomore defenders. Some were starters like Curry and Patterson. Some provided very strong depth like Phonz, Arnoux, and Vaughn.

After 11 seasons, we pretty much know what works for Grobe. The question is if he can duplicate that or find another way to win.

what works for grobe is a decade at wake forest and an overall record over .500. frankly, that's freaking unbelievable.

recruiting will always be "poor" at wake. sometimes we get lucky. sometimes our coaches kick ass. sometimes the players perform like they were supposed to.

That overall record wouldn't be over .500 without what I posted above. If you think the FRESH DEACS were just lucky, then I'm not sure why you're so supportive of Grobe. That's what his success boils down to.

Back