• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

we literally have one of them scholars of the ancient near east on these rjkarl boards
I’m right here! I don’t know where to start reading to get caught up so point me in the right direction. Currently sitting here working on some Sumerian Inanna hymns so, needless to say, I need something better to do.

Ok, so while I do teach the NT occasionally out of necessity, fair warning that my expertise is basically 2000-500ish BCE. Referencing just the Bible though leaves out a lot of source material. It actually makes pretty good sense to not mention the events in 70. Look at HB tradition of not talking poorly about the Romans directly. They quite obviously feared them. Also, the term “Bible” is being thrown around a lot as if it is a monolith with one message. The HB and NT are drastically different texts with different perspectives. Most of the books are edited by multiple hands over hundreds of centuries. Much of this has already been referenced though! I’m happy to answer any specific questions! Does anyone care about public ritual feasting in Late Bronze Age Emar? Working on that along with my Inanna hymns about sex at the moment. Fun stuff.

Ok, so while I do teach the NT occasionally out of necessity, fair warning that my expertise is basically 2000-500ish BCE. Referencing just the Bible though leaves out a lot of source material. It actually makes pretty good sense to not mention the events in 70. Look at HB tradition of not talking poorly about the Romans directly. They quite obviously feared them. Also, the term “Bible” is being thrown around a lot as if it is a monolith with one message. The HB and NT are drastically different texts with different perspectives. Most of the books are edited by multiple hands over hundreds of centuries. Much of this has already been referenced though! I’m happy to answer any specific questions! Does anyone care about public ritual feasting in Late Bronze Age Emar? Working on that along with my Inanna hymns about sex at the moment. Fun stuff.
Well now that you mentioned it, Song of Solomon 4:5, has never made sense to me. Fawns really? I’ve done a lot of firsthand research and fawns have never come to mind.

Well now that you mentioned it, Song of Solomon 4:5, has never made sense to me.
Ha! I love Song of Songs! The funny thing is that I am currently working on a Sumerian text that mentions suckling on the breasts of Inanna like a calf. Nothing like some boobs and animal metaphors!

Well now that you mentioned it, Song of Solomon 4:5, has never made sense to me. Fawns really? I’ve done a lot of firsthand research and fawns have never come to mind.
I’ll add that my favorite thing about SOS was an article I read a few years back which did an ethnographic study of modern Bedouin songs. The argument was that they are basically the same as SOS showing the continuity of Bedouin culture over the millennia, while also giving some insight into how SOS may have been sung!

Does it make anyone wonder that the birth of Christ is in only two books, and they don’t align.

Discuss…

I mean it’s such a YUGE deal that is already know to be a false date (12/25) and the census is complete BS.

Continue to discuss…

Does it make anyone wonder that the birth of Christ is in only two books, and they don’t align.

Discuss…

I mean it’s such a YUGE deal that is already know to be a false date (12/25) and the census is complete BS.

Continue to discuss…
It’s written in the style of an ancient biography much like other books of the day. I would consider the birth to be just about the least important thing in the whole story.

It’s written in the style of an ancient biography much like other books of the day. I would consider the birth to be just about the least important thing in the whole story.

We sure do celebrate that date more than just about everything else in the Bible…if it is the least important, than why celebrate it? Especially knowing it is (speculation) pure fabrication?

It’s like Columbus Day…he never stepped on North America.

We celebrate the birth, not the date.

• December 25 (Western Christianity and part of the Eastern churches)
  • January 6 (Armenian Apostolic Church and the Armenian Evangelical Church)
  • January 7 (O.S. December 25) (most Oriental Orthodox and part of the Eastern Orthodox churches)
  • January 19 (O.S. January 6) (Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem)
I think most scholars say he was actual born in the summer.

History is pretty clear there was a guy named Jesus who preached and was killed during a Roman occupation. The Gospels are likely affected from oral tradition to they time of the Roman occupation around 100 AD.

We sure do celebrate that date more than just about everything else in the Bible…if it is the least important, than why celebrate it? Especially knowing it is (speculation) pure fabrication?

It’s like Columbus Day…he never stepped on North America.

yuletide and whitsun way underrated these days. Michaelmas properly rated

I don't know man, if I was writing a biography and the subject was born to a virgin, I think I'd include at least a footnote.

Back