• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

If you've ever been inside a small-town or country Southern Baptist church, you've probably seen the inevitable picture of white Jesus somewhere up on the wall. If they were honest, they'd just go ahead and take down that picture and replace it with one of Trump. He's their Lord and Savior now, or at least he's the person they worship the most.

I'll be so glad when his "Decision America" tour is over - I'm sick of seeing those damn billboards and signs all over the place. Especially given that it's obviously little more than a thinly-veiled Trump rally for next year's election. IMO, he's no better than Jerry Falwell, Jr. or Joel Osteen or Robert Jeffress or any of these other "worthies" of the Religious Right. Like Falwell, he's living off his daddy's name to enrich himself and peddle his hypocritical political and social views. Basically, he's little more than a right-wing pharisee, like most of the rest of them.

Righteous Gemstones

Nobody is going to have the balls to do it, but it's past time to consider revoking tax exempt status for churches.

It was probably dying anyway, but Trumpism is definitely killing the American Church. The leadership in these churches are largely older parents who grew up in a culture where you were made to go to church. There was no need appreciate a church meeting folks where they are and dealing with the present needs of a community. They gravitate toward authoritarians who bloviate about nostalgia and Christian supremacy who remind them of being shamed into church every Sunday. That brand of faith is not only inauthentic, but it’s callous and unnecessary.

Again, you want to see how American evangelicals would treat Jesus were he to return today, ask them how they feel about Jimmy Carter.

That Franklin Graham is really concerned about who people are fucking. Jesus.

That Franklin Graham is really concerned about who people are fucking. Jesus.

Word is 'ol Franklin was quite the wild child in his younger days - he was expelled from one high school and then again from his first college for breaking the rules. Now that he's older and successful he, typically, wants to deny everyone else their fun. Modern Evangelical preachers rarely condemn divorce, even though the Bible specifically condemns divorce far more often than homosexuality. Why? Because so many Evangelicals are divorced now. There's a quote from some Deep South Senator from the nineteenth or early twentieth century who said that we're being governed by the type of people who pray loudly in church in Sunday mornings and then fornicate in the bushes on Sunday afternoons. Sexual hypocrisy and double standards have always been a big part of Evangelical religion, imo. And that doesn't even get into the problems of Franklin living like a King off his Samaritan Purse salary and other income from his ministries, which have varied from over $600,000 to $1.2 million a year. I wonder what Jesus would have to say about that?

Nobody is going to have the balls to do it, but it's past time to consider revoking tax exempt status for churches.

Beto apparently said something to that effect just a few days ago, that churches that won't perform same-sex marriages should have their tax exempt status revoked. Needless to say, Evangelical ministers were up in arms. Franklin Graham condemned it, saying that unlike Beto, he would follow "the Word of God" which spoke the "truth" and that he, Franklin, wouldn't bow down on the altar of the LGBT agenda and their sinful, ungodly ways. But his "Decision America" tour is billed as not being about politics or next year's elections. LOL.

Last edited:
Beto apparently said something to that effect just a few days ago, that churches that won't perform same-sex marriages should have their tax exempt status revoked. Needless to say, Evangelical ministers were up in arms. Franklin Graham condemned it, saying that unlike Beto, he would follow "the Word of God" which spoke the "truth" and that he, Franklin, wouldn't bow down on the altar of the LGBT agenda and their sinful, ungodly ways. But his "Decision America" tour is billed as not being about politics or next year's elections. LOL.

Personally I disagree with the notion of revoking tax exempt status of an organization that doesn’t follow a specific belief. I’m as pro LGBTQ rights as almost anyone but that policy constitutes an inappropriate application of government power.

Personally I disagree with the notion of revoking tax exempt status of an organization that doesn’t follow a specific belief. I’m as pro LGBTQ rights as almost anyone but that policy constitutes an inappropriate application of government power.

Perhaps, and I also have issues with it as many black churches over the years have engaged in social activism for civil rights causes, and would thus also be taxed. The hypocrisy of guys like Franklin Graham is really something, though, and there's little doubt that many fundamentalist preachers over the years have used their tax-exempt pulpit to enrich themselves and push a far-right, repressive political agenda as being a part of "God's Will." Don't know if there's a solution to it, though, that wouldn't hurt other religious groups that have historically supported civil rights and other progressive causes. People like Franklin still need to be called out for their religious hypocrisy whenever possible, that's for sure.

This is where I am as well. But Jesus I hate Franklin Graham and his cult at Samaritan's Purse.

The government can’t discriminate against a religion because it (the government) doesn’t like the content of its (the religion’s) beliefs. That violates the Free Exercise and Free Speech Clauses, at least. The concept of discrimination includes the withholding of benefits that would otherwise be granted, so removing a church’s tax exemption based on the content of its doctrine plainly violates the constitution.

it's not discriminating against a religion in this instance, it's discriminating against a specific organization

Well, the government wouldn’t be taking away their ability to believe that and “practice what they preach”. The government just wouldn’t subsidize it.
California doesn’t allow religious exemptions for vaccines that are mandatory to attend school. Similar idea. You don’t have to get the vaccines but you can’t attend school without them.

That’s not relevant for constitutional purposes. The Government can’t discriminate against religions, a specific church, or an individual with his own individual beliefs.

sure they can, if a specific Presbyterian church was selling children as sex slaves in the name of god the government would intervene

If you’re a progressive that’s determined to accomplish those goals, you should start by eroding rights of non Christian religions. Evangelicals and many conservatives will help you. You’ll have to fight the ACLU tooth and nail throughout the process. They tend to be consistent with their beliefs on religious liberty. Once you’ve gotten things accomplished with the brown people then you can apply that precedent to Christian churches.

Back