• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Just saw your post about homosexuality. Our old pastor preached about it from time to time, which I found distasteful - but he was ousted a couple of years ago and I haven't heard it mentioned since. It has been a great change.

leaving the church and the Christian faith was really tough, but one of the best things I ever did

Just saw your post about homosexuality. Our old pastor preached about it from time to time, which I found distasteful - but he was ousted a couple of years ago and I haven't heard it mentioned since. It has been a great change.

Yeah, when you teach in a conservative bible belt area and see the effect that the pulpit has on gay kids, it becomes something that you absolutely can't stomach.

Honestly, not mentioning it and not being clear about where a church stands can be just as harmful. The folks at www.churchclarity.org have done a great job bringing this to light.

said this before, but Chicago Catholic churches are being sold left and right to pay for priest sex abuse payouts

said this before, but Chicago Catholic churches are being sold left and right to pay for priest sex abuse payouts

In NYC, the wildest club was in a huge church -Limelight. Behind the upstairs ropes were private and group "party" rooms.

This is number 4 in 5 years, and we basically find the same issues in them all around our area. We won't attend a church that preaches against homosexuality, and that has been a kicker in the previous 3. She's become pretty disillusioned with the whole concept of organized religion unfortunately.

you know mako, i used to go to church and couldn't find a good one. finally i realized that i didn't need a middleman or a building to follow my faith.

every year that goes now i see organized religion as a con-game and just brain-washing of their "flock"

i mean, who the fuck could listen to this guy after this (blowing away C-19)...back in April. how did that work for you Copeland?

e2734aadeebb1dd6acd695e409cb0783.gif

or this gem?

tenor.gif

how the fuck can anyone actually think this guy is anything less than a con-man. it boggles my mind...just look at this shit!

that dude is one of the worst.

this movie does a great job of exposing him.

Kirk Cameron is putting together groups of 1000s of people in CA over the past month. I wonder how many are positive and if any died.

If so, he should be held accountable.

you know mako, i used to go to church and couldn't find a good one. finally i realized that i didn't need a middleman or a building to follow my faith.

every year that goes now i see organized religion as a con-game and just brain-washing of their "flock"

i mean, who the fuck could listen to this guy after this (blowing away C-19)...back in April. how did that work for you Copeland?

e2734aadeebb1dd6acd695e409cb0783.gif

or this gem?

tenor.gif

how the fuck can anyone actually think this guy is anything less than a con-man. it boggles my mind...just look at this shit!

Not surprising that those following these charlatans are prone to believing that Trump is a super patriot who’s been a fantastically great president.

leaving the church and the Christian faith was really tough, but one of the best things I ever did

This is where I’m at. I have definitely had a tougher time wrestling with it since having my son two years ago. The great irony is the values that I learned growing up in the church are the reason I don’t think I want him growing up in church because modern Christianity is antithetical to that.

I can certainly understand why people who are left-leaning politically wouldn't feel at home in an "evangelical" church. I'm center-right politically, and I don't feel at home in one. But leaving church altogether and renouncing Christianity strikes me as throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There are plenty of churches that lean left politically. I mean, just look at the Episcopalians. They oppose the death penalty, allow same-sex marriage, ordain LGBT, are pro-choice, etc. If you reject the hypocrisy of modern evangelicalism (as you should), I don't get why you don't just find a church that isn't hypocritical. They are out there.

I can certainly understand why people who are left-leaning politically wouldn't feel at home in an "evangelical" church. I'm center-right politically, and I don't feel at home in one. But leaving church altogether and renouncing Christianity strikes me as throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There are plenty of churches that lean left politically. I mean, just look at the Episcopalians. They oppose the death penalty, allow same-sex marriage, ordain LGBT, are pro-choice, etc. If you reject the hypocrisy of modern evangelicalism (as you should), I don't get why you don't just find a church that isn't hypocritical. They are out there.

Yeah- I'm pretty comfortable with the theology at my church. Of course, I don't live in the sticks like Mako.

This is where I’m at. I have definitely had a tougher time wrestling with it since having my son two years ago. The great irony is the values that I learned growing up in the church are the reason I don’t think I want him growing up in church because modern Christianity is antithetical to that.

who woulda thought we'd find ourselves here after our Poteat scholarship introduction?

Back