• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The revolution has begun!

Jeff [Redacted] has coached 72 games at Wake Forest. 33 times (46% of games he has coached here) Jeff [Redacted]'s Wake Forest teams have lost by 10 points or more.

This is good. vtdeac has all sorts of facts that would make good talking points. Perhaps he'll see this thread.

Bad idea. There is a 90% chance that we will be hiring a new basketball coach for the 2014-2015 season, and about a 10% chance that we will be hiring a new basketball coach for the 2013-2014 season. I don't think that staging a civil protest outside of the Greensboro Coliseum is going to change that. On the other hand, we do want to present ourselves as a school to which prospective coaches will want to come. Having a fan base with posters outside the arena protesting a coach in year three is probably not going to help that cause. It's not like we are a coach's destination school. Coaches choosing between us and other schools may look at that and say, "No thanks." Letting our coach go is understandable, but we do not want the reputation of a school that is a career killer for coaches.

You know what might be problematic for us hiring a new coach? An Athletic Director that doesn't want 4 and 5 star players to be recruited here because they might leave early and that isn't "the Wake Forest way". Old ass fart of a man that Ron Wellman

You know what might be problematic for us hiring a new coach? An Athletic Director that doesn't want 4 and 5 star players to be recruited here because they might leave early and that isn't "the Wake Forest way". Old ass fart of a man that Ron Wellman

Yeah, I really don't understand this from Wellman. The goal of every program at Wake should be to help the students achieve their goals. As that pertains to the basketball program, that might mean making it to the NBA. When a player leaves Wake early to become a high draft pick, that means the program has succeeded, but for some reason Wellman seems to view that as a negative.

Any new coach will be viewed as a hero and will get more leeway than any coach before him. He will actually have to clean up and rebuild a program.

Ron has done wonderful things at Wake but times have changed and it sometimes coaches/ADs wear out their welcome,ask FSU!? Wake is in a very dangerous situation with conferences disbanding and tv contract greed taking over so this University can not afford to have both money makers not being competitive. The excitement has left W-S and it seems like RW's attitude is wait and see but I am afraid it will be too late.

For christ's sake leave these guys alone. Let them demonstrate their dissatisfaction with the status quo. Wake's historical problem has been having apathetic fans who are too "classy" to be outraged by beyond pathetic athletic teams. It's a breath of fresh air to have fans willing to take to the streets to voice their displeasure. This fanbase needs more irate fans, not less. "Going through channels" is the classic, failure-ridden "Wake Forest way", and it's about time we abandon that template because we're at high risk of falling out of the top echelon of college competition.

Wellman isn't going to hire a "top name" to replace Buzz anyway, so even if there was a chance a top coach would be put off by a demonstration -- which is laughable to even think about -- our AD has never hired and would never hire such a coach. There is absolutely no harm in these guys going public about Buzz. If nothing else it shows that WF does have an athletic "pulse", after all.

For christ's sake leave these guys alone. Let them demonstrate their dissatisfaction with the status quo. Wake's historical problem has been having apathetic fans who are too "classy" to be outraged by beyond pathetic athletic teams. It's a breath of fresh air to have fans willing to take to the streets to voice their displeasure. This fanbase needs more irate fans, not less. "Going through channels" is the classic, failure-ridden "Wake Forest way", and it's about time we abandon that template because we're at high risk of falling out of the top echelon of college competition.

Wellman isn't going to hire a "top name" to replace Buzz anyway, so even if there was a chance a top coach would be put off by a demonstration -- which is laughable to even think about -- our AD has never hired and would never hire such a coach. There is absolutely no harm in these guys going public about Buzz. If nothing else it shows that WF does have an athletic "pulse", after all.

Well said. We could use you in G'boro Saturday

Following this logic, might be a good idea to down a pint of bourbon right before the interview. Really get those juices flowing.

I'm all for entertainment, so I think that's a fine idea. I am also way less concerned about the perceived professionalism of a college basketball fanbase than some other posters. To each his own, I guess, but people that spend too much time worrying about how they're perceived are either 1) posers or 2) middle schoolers. Like the Beach Boys sang, Be True to Your ... Self. (and School. By being true to yourself.)

If I had 10 seconds in an interview, I'd talk about how Wellman pushed for a new culture, but this new culture involves losing at an incredible rate, cursing out fans of other schools, and a head basketball coach not being an active part of campus life.

Last edited:
This is off topic but that link I provided a couple pages back, reading it it makes me think Bz was Wellman's choice all along. Katz interviewed him right after Dino was fired and look at some of the things he said:
Wellman said his role on the NCAA tournament men's basketball selection committee was the reason he waited until after the Final Four to call Gaudio into his office Wednesday and make the move...He will act quickly, not hire a search firm, and handle everything by himself. "It has to be someone who can take over the program and reach the goals and objectives we have," Wellman said. "We're not out to win the press conference. I'm not saying we won't, but that's not the priority. I want someone for long-term success."..."The person we hire may or may not have a national championship under his belt or a conference championship. I don't know," Wellman said. "But I will be absolutely convinced that the coach can do the job at Wake Forest.

Nominated

This movement has to convince a Board and President who are very much like Wellman and have a longstanding relationship with him to choose our side over Wellman.

That's not going to happen with rants and silliness. Be passionate yet professional. Be the people that people on the Board would take seriously.

Don't be a douche.

Last edited:
This movement has to convince a Board and President who are very much like Wellman and have a longstanding relationship with him to choose our side over Wellman.

That's not going to happen with rants and silliness. Be passionate yet professional. Be the people that people on the Board would take seriously.

Have, and will always be that person. But, we are growing very tired of our voices not being heard.

"A revolution is not a bed of roses. A revolution is a struggle between the future and the past." - Castro

Do work, gentlemen.

Have, and will always be that person. But, we are growing very tired of our voices not being heard.

This shouldn't matter but it does. How old are you? PM me if you'd like.

Back