• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the right way

I venture to say every member of the "lunatic fringe" (which is, by the way, a large majority of WF fans) is firmly in support of integrity and scholarship among our basketball players. The question, though, is why can't a coach promote those values AND win? Is integrity inconsistent with putting a good product out there? Unfortunately, bzzz has not had a successful career. At his age, I doubt he's going to suddenly become a great coach.

So yes, the lunatic fringe want a positive "culture", too, but we understand that, to be viable, the team needs to produce more success than bzzz's career offers.

(P.S. Did your little "family vacation" -- i.e. serving on the Selection Committee -- go well?)

Last edited:
Y U NO LINE BREAK.

GEq5qhx.gif

And by the reaction of many in the WFU fan base today you would think the deacons were once a national championship powerhouse and by some overnight conspiracy our AD decided to tear down that house. This belief predicated on a false ideal that achieving a regular season #1 ranking is consistent with being a national championship program is what psychologists refer to as "delusional."

Fuck you and fuck your LOWF attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheredeac View Post
And by the reaction of many in the WFU fan base today you would think the deacons were once a national championship powerhouse and by some overnight conspiracy our AD decided to tear down that house. This belief predicated on a false ideal that achieving a regular season #1 ranking is consistent with being a national championship program is what psychologists refer to as "delusional."

Almost as delusional as seeing the improvement Buzz has brought to the program.

With all the thugs it is lucky we didn't have any NCAA violations that should have been reported.

It's amazing that all of the players who stayed at school during the reign of evil genius Dino Gaudio graduated.

Question to the mods: since this poster is in the red can we reveal whether or not the post originated from a WFU IP address?

They did not. In fact, it's not even from the Piedmont Triad.

It's amazing that all of the players who stayed at school during the reign of evil genius Dino Gaudio graduated.

And we ran off a high quality academic kid in Anthony Fields.

And the "offensive sets" argument is such fool's gold. We run an open post offense, so occassionally we get a backdoor cut that makes all of the basketball "purists" wet down in their special spot. But what do we give up in terms of points in the paint overall and offensive rebounding?

Has our offense been effective? kenpom says no.

The thread title is pretty fitting actually. It's leaves off the word WINNING. The phrase is "Winning the right way." And for us what it really should be is "Winning the Wellman way."

If Wake fans really believed we were going to start winning based on [Redacted]'s 3 years at Wake and his college coaching results prior to Wake, there would be some latitude given. As it is you already have a huge subset that doesn't even agree the "Wellman way" rebuilding effort was even necessary - and like 90%+ of our fan base they also don't have any confidence in [Redacted] as a long term winning solution here.

I want to believe as much as the next guy, but you can't just leave out winning. It's a sport. There's a score. The point is to win. Everything else takes care of itself, outside of running a clean program. And I think it's fair to say there's a pretty wide divide between the Wellman Way and simply running a clean program.

Whaterver we are doing is the wrong way if it means not participating in any postseason tourneys for three years and counting.

I'm still a little confused about why bzzz's FIRST MISSION as our new Chairman of Culture was to kick his ass into high gear so he could RETAIN THE THUGS DINO HAD RECRUITED!!!

Oh, where to start

As one who was in a supervisory role on campus during the previous two coaching tenures, Jeff [Redacted] has done exactly what was asked of him by the AD and the administration; and, rightly so. The character of the team players has improved, they are playing together as a team, and they are competing (and completing work) in the classroom again. That is the traditional Wake Forest way (a.k.a. the right way) and I'm proud [Redacted] is restoring integrity to the program we all love.

This implies that we somehow lost integrity. I'm not sure when this occurred. Most of the players brought in during the Prosser era were great guys. Proud representatives of Wake Forest University. The players brought in by Gaudio are harder to evaluate since most of them did not survive the transition to the new coaching staff. Only three remained on this years team. Harris, Mckie, Fischer. All stand up guys.

While there are real and visible growing pains, I believe he is also restoring our winning basketball tradition.

Don't you actually have to win in order to restore a winning tradition?

I do not believe he trounced the program. WFU began a new basketball program with a new vision when [Redacted] was hired three years ago--he had two years to clean house; and, now one year with his players (7 freshmen). With those 7 freshmen leading the way, we defeated the same #2 team in the country who is now widely predicted (by many of the same experts calling for [Redacted]'s firing) as a final four team.

And we also were blown out by Iona, Nebraska, and every team in the ACC not named Miami, Boston College or Virginia Tech.

Again, [Redacted] accomplished this with 7 true freshmen, 1 above average ACC (but not NBA talent) senior who gave his heart for the team and school, and a junior who lazily turned the ball over or shot an ill-advised three pointer at just about every critical juncture possible this season.

This is just terrible. Attacking Travis?? Without him how many wins do you think the team would actually have? Maybe 4-5. On most nights he was our second best player.

Further, I don't believe you can use [Redacted]'s W-L record at Colorado to distort the larger picture of what Wellman brought him in to do. He cleaned house at CU and was hired by WFU in part (and I am OK with JB as Wellman's long-time friend--that kind of hiring happens every day in rural and urban cooperate America) because he was willing to take a stand and not give-in to pressure in this age of the win at all costs sports culture.

Are you sure that you are an educated person? 'cooperate' I am guessing you mean corporate America. But what exactly is rural corporate America? Plus if that was your actual plan. Just dismiss the entire team, lose for a few years and then eventually start winning again, you need to work on your PR around that. [Redacted] may be the worst head basketball coach at talking in an interview. He stumbles around for words, loses his train of thought, then usually spits out a few cliches. If you are going to do this, you should hire someone with a personality that allows the fans in to understand the process. But I don't believe that this was the plan. Cleaning house just happened. Chennault, McKie and Desrosiers were begged to stay. That doesn't seem like the actions of someone cleaning house.

This season IMO was [Redacted]'s first real shot at coaching his WFU team after using the first two seasons cleaning house and babysitting AAU street ballers who had no business playing in a team system. Anyone who has played serious high school or college basketball (4 years HS, 1 year college) or has the smallest inkling of basketball knowledge (beyond rec league) and who also paid attention during the Skip Prosser (may he RIP) and Dino Gaudio tenures cannot honestly say the offensive sets haven't improved.

Sure they can. Did you see many of the late game play calling? Most of our best plays this year were Harris taking someone off the dribble in a clear out set. That's the essence of 'street ball'

They were near awful during the previous two coaching tenures prior to [Redacted] and our most recent regular season success was due to primarily two recruits (Paul and Teague) and namely their ability to run a transition-based offense. See the postseason record the year after Chris Paul left if you need proof.

The post-season record after Paul left? What does that have to do with anything? In the five years after Paul left but before [Redacted], WF went to the NIT and the NCAA twice). WF was 3-5 in the ACC Tourney during that time period. What is [Redacted]'s post-season record at Wake? 0-3 in the ACC Tourney with no other post-season games.

No one on these boards has named the difficult truth--that with arguably the most talented team our school ever fielded (Paul, Downey, Levy, Williams, Strickland, etc) we still lost to a slightly above average West Virginia team in the second round of the NCAA tourney.

The phrase talented and NCAA tourney are both used here. Two phrases that are not ever associated with [Redacted]. Lost -- that's right. In the NCAA Tourney -- also right. At this point I would love to lose in teh second round of the NCAA Tourney.

I do not recall one instance where anyone on this board stated that a regular season #1 ranking was equivalent to a national championship. However, most on the Board, rightly believe that Wake Forest should be in the upper half of the ACC every year. That they should make it to the NCAA Tourney regularly.

In the NCAA's, Odom lost, Prosser lost twice, and, of course, Dino lost. When you lose (with four NBA prospects--Smith, Teague, Johnson, Aminu) in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Cleveland State, you can safely assume your program is DOA and you need a fresh start.

This one made me laugh. Yes, how terrible to bring in all of that talent and be so good for such a long period of time. If you consistently make it to the NCAA but do not win it all your program is DOA? Whoever thinks this is certifiable.

With [Redacted], we may not have the most previously decorated or even socially polished coach--and to the former point, primarily, because he hasn't stayed at any one school longer than the typical three year rebuilding period as he keeps getting hired away--still we do have someone who emphasizes to almost to a fault the principles of integrity, discipline, and character (not saying former coaches did not do this); but who also runs a true team offense not intended only one or two players to showcase individual talent.

I would rephrase the beginning part here -- he keeps jumping ship every three years. No one hires you unless you are willing to listen to their offer. Then I love how you slam both Prosser and Gaudio and then try to quickly backtrack from it. If there was a problem with the integrity of the players brought in then it necessarily has to be Prosser and Gaudio. And a transition based offense, is an offense. A really good, and entertaining one at that.

The argument for firing [Redacted] based on the WFU team record and frankly, what know one will say but what can be attributed to his lack of sex appeal in the good ole boy south, displays ignorance of what really happened with WFU basketball and our student-athletes in the previous 6 seasons.

I am very disturbed by your use of teh word 'sex appeal' here. Prosser was beloved here and he was from Pittsburgh. So calling all Wake fans here a bunch of no account Southerners who hate carpetbaggers is ridiculous. What really happened by the way? No NCAA violations. Several NCAA Tournaments. Many NBA quality players. An exciting brand of basketball.

Our rabid fan base attacking [Redacted]'s persona is at best a sad example of what has become of college fans in American amateur athletics. Have we as a WFU fan base succumbed to the win-at-all-costs culture, which in public admonishes sports agents and two-timing athletes for shredding the last threads of wholesome student-athlete amateurism left in American college athletics while secretly celebrating those very same players and agents when their own team defeats the cross town rival all in the name of bragging rights, success, and greed?

This is old man talk about how much better it used too be in the 60s when players really only played for the love of the game crap. No one is saying win at all costs, they are just saying to actually win. Like we traditionally have done. Plus what about this integrity thing that you espouse includes cursing at fans, blaming the players routinely for losses, and refusing to even take real fans calls on his radio show? I don't recall Prosser or Gaudio doing any of these things. If you are looking for lack of integrity, [Redacted] would be a great example.

I was going to call bullshit on the OP, but Pilchard already nailed it.

I'll just add that Wellman can have any kind of basketball program he wants. I just won't watch or support it.

I posted this on scout board in response to a similar post that claimed Bz was brought in to return the program to its pristine "right way":

This is all such garbage. If the primary mission of the basketball program was to discipline the players, teach life lessons, keep the students in good academic standing, promote the student athlete and make sure they represent the community well, WF would/should drop out of the ACC and either join the Patriot League or go D-3. WF is a charter member of the ACC; WF supported expanding the ACC to bring in VT, FSU, Miami, Cuse and Pitt. The "alleged moral high-ground" is always the BS argument that WF tries to pull when it fails on the court or the field. The fact is that there is no material difference between the athletic mission at WF, UVA, Duke, UNC, GT, BC. We are all the big business of major college sports, and all ACC (or Big 10 or any other power conference) schools admit recruits that would have no prayer in getting into their respective schools absent their basketball skills. As long as they qualify under a minimal academic standard they are in. If you do not believe this, take a look at the academic background of the most recent class of freshmen that Bz brought in, particularly the best one.

The nature of WF's recruiting has not changed at all under Bz.

Also, what in Bz's background makes him qualified to discipline, teach life lessons, promote the student-athlete and emphasize academics? Lets not pretend that Bz came to WF after coaching at the D-3 level or at Cornell or Yale.

Bz is a career basketball coach with an emphasis on basketball not academics. He has spent the majority of his career in the NBA. In his three years at WF, he has blamed his players and the previous head coach for his own faults. He has wilted in the face of criticism. He lacks charisma. There is no evidence to suggest the players respect him. So, Bz is not now and lacks the background to be the moral center of WF athletics. He, at best, is a career mediocre basketball coach.

Sorry, but there is no ground to grade Bz highly on any "educator" or "mentor" or "character" factor. This is really an emperor has no clothes situation; just amazes me the lengths people will go to defend an indefensible record on every level. Every day that Jeff [Redacted] continues as WF's head coach the longer it will take to get the program back on track.

It's downright laughable...and pathetic...when the same people who like to brag about WF's superior academics with their legacy noses stuck high in the air...basically admit that they would have no hesitation about doing anything necessary...legal or illegal...to have a top-notch basketball team. Seldom do you see such a shamelessly overt display of hypocrisy.

Where has ANYONE legitimately advocated this? It is indeed possible to do "it" the "right way" and win. That's all we're asking for.

The losing sucks. But it's not like Wake hasn't had rough seasons before in my time as a fan. The thing that really blows me away is the incessant need to defame former players and coaches in an attempt to justify current actions.

To do so while claiming to do things "the right way" is just shameful and shows a shocking lack of self-awareness.

It's downright laughable...and pathetic...when the same people who like to brag about WF's superior academics with their legacy noses stuck high in the air...basically admit that they would have no hesitation about doing anything necessary...legal or illegal...to have a top-notch basketball team. Seldom do you see such a shamelessly overt display of hypocrisy.

Where has ANYONE legitimately advocated this? It is indeed possible to do "it" the "right way" and win. That's all we're asking for.

Was going to comment but 94 beat me to it. I will simply say that when I was at Wake I learned what a false dilemma is. Apparently they didn't begin teaching that until tuition skyrocketed years after BKF graduated. So I guess the extra $ spent was worth it.

ETA: Also, being really smart or well educated doesn't preclude one from making morally depraved decisions. While you are wrong, and no one is advocating for this, it would in no way be hypocritical.

Last edited:
Back