• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The size of our home basketball stadium

14 years later how many keys have been taken? I wonder how many are still hiding them.

I'm pretty satisfied with the keys we have taken. We're still planning to get more. But if anyone out there cares to measure, i'm ready.

But to be clear: in terms of the decision with the Joel & Wake Forest basketball, there is no doubt that the direction we have taken has been led by 1 man and 1 man only. He ain't listening to anyone else & he does whatever he wants and no one tells him what to do. When it comes to Wake Forest athletics these days, Mr. Wellman has every key there is. That will change one day but it hasn't yet one bit. I don't know that that's a bad thing. I don't like where we are, I know that.

But in terms of my belief that we could somehow take over & dictate to him what he would be doing to some degree, I was dead wrong about that. He doesn't listen to even the top, top donors & no one does anything about it. That is the way it is right now. So, quite frankly, a lot of us kind of lose our desire to be part of it after awhile. Just show up for games & focus on our own businesses so that we can make a change when it's possible to actually do so.

Last edited:
^ interesting post. Is no one putting pressure on Hatch to do something? Does Hatch not care? I have heard a lot of grumbling from donors who used to never complain, so it is odd to me if the big $ donors are unhappy that nothing is being done to change the sorry state of affairs that is Wake athletics right now.

DR, you're slipping. First you forget to consider UNCG. Second, when confronted with UNCG you concede the point without checking. LJVM seats 14,407 and Wake has 5,000 undergrads for a ratio of 2.88 seats/student. Greensboro Coliseum seats 23,500 and UNCG has 14,000 traditional undergraduate students for a ratio of 1.67 seats/student.

On a side note I'm also a long time poster who was here (there?) for some of the on-campus arena discussions with DR, but I also don't know what "hide your keys" means. Someone please explain. I suspect Ph doesn't know either because he passed on the opportunity to display his superior knowledge earlier in the thread.

Had to choose between displaying pedestrian knowledge and throwing a barb at an old friend. I went with the latter.

DR can you clarify? You're happy with all the keys you have yet Wellman has all the keys? Is this your way of saying that you are Wellman?

DR can you clarify? You're happy with all the keys you have yet Wellman has all the keys? Is this your way of saying that you are Wellman?

This has to be one of the most absurd posts in a looooooooong time.

Particularly for those who know DR, or have been on message boards before this one existed.

First question was sincere. Second one a joke. Sorry wasn't more obvious. Perhaps you missed prior reference to 14years.

Yea, here's your clarity: pull out your tax return & let's see who's where jackleg. I tried to say it the nice way after you insulted me.

Not my point. He challenged me personally saying '14 years & no keys.' If he wants to measure, I will. That was my point

And bigger, better keys if you so wish.

I say we just swap the God Dome and the Joel and retrofit the God Dome..

Curtains are a terrible idea. Looks very small time. We bought a old building. Shouldn't have, but we did. Now that it's ours, let's make sure we do it right. Change the upper level of the arena by lowering the ceiling and reducing seating. I like the idea of adding suites and moving student seating. I don't think we need 40-45 suites.

Also, what are all these events that are clamoring to use a venue that seats over 10k in Winston-Salem? (That's an honest question. What are these events that we should potentially sacrifice our own home court advantage for?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing for sure, if Wellman wants to mess around with the seating, now is the time to do it. It will be a few years before anyone notices.

DonaldRoss, I entrusted you with $5 in 1999 for the on-campus arena fund. If you had taken that money and invested it wisely, we would be well on our way to affording a shiny new on-campus arena with seating for about 10,000 with benches of students lining the entire court. Unfortunately, you frittered it away on drink and food and pleasurable company. I call malfeasance. You'd better hide you damn keys, because I'm coming to get my $5 back.

Aside from the above, you're no longer the Sportline host posting on the boards anymore. You're doing well in GSO. You wear mustard-colored sweaters to the games now and hang out in the Hoops room. You don't stand the entire game. You sometimes arrive after tip-off. Presumably, you still fill your pockets with egg salad sandwiches.

Point being, you are an active, financially stable alum living near the school. This board ain't the axis of power. The AD is going to be raising money to make over the Joel. You can already give money specifically for that purpose. Use your connections down there and get involved in the process. I highly doubt Ron or most involved in the athletic department would disagree that reducing seating capacity is a bad idea.

I agree, Mich, which is why you don't see me on here all that much.

As you know me, you know full well I'm telling them what I think. And I've got your 5 bucks. It has been invested and I'm ready to use it when the time for fundraising for a smaller arena comes along. Spending the money on concession stands does nothing to achieve the purpose of the money that was set aside in the first place.

From conversations, I think they are definitely going to be looking at doing more than just redoing the concession stands. They did a great job with Bridger. They know we need to get this right with the Joel.

Ps, I just went through my sweaters & didn't see any cream ones. I was pretty sure I didn't have any! Haha!

Back