• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Solar Lull

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score
"I've been a solar physicist for 30 years, and I've never seen anything quite like this," says Richard Harrison, head of space physics at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire.

"It's completely taken me and many other solar scientists by surprise," says Dr Lucie Green, from University College London's Mullard Space Science Laboratory.

The drop off in activity is happening surprisingly quickly, and scientists are now watching closely to see if it will continue to plummet.

"It could mean a very, very inactive star, it would feel like the Sun is asleep... a very dormant ball of gas at the centre of our Solar System," explains Dr Green.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

Probably not a coincidence that this is happening right at the same time that alien craft landed on the moon.

45389755.jpg

I have to imagine that 30 years of study is quite inconsequential when you consider the age of the Sun.

The beginning of another maunder minimum?

From the article it sounds like this maunder minimum mainly effected Europe so we good either way. Plus it's like 40 years away if that guy is right, correct? Nothing to worry about. And even if there was something to worry about, nothing we can do about it, so no use in worrying.

Back