• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Top 100 Punk Albums

Good find...There are quite a few albums on here I don't know, but then again I don't listen to nearly as much punk as I used to. I'm glad to see that they included some ska - the Specials (amongst a few others) definitely deserve their place.

All in all, this is a solid list.

I don't know about so many Ska albums in the top 20. I'm also not sure that Dropkick Murphy's fit the genre. I was a huge Ska fan back in the day and also worked the door at a ton of punk shows around Raleigh in the mid 80s. They are not the same genre to me. I saw some of the late 70 to mid 80s punk bands like Circle Jerks, Black flag, Suicidal Tendencies, Bad Brains, Johnny Quest, Corrosion of Conformity, etc. It was a ton of fun. When we produced those shows some of them were all ages show with no alcohol served at the venue. I was amazed at the parents dropping off their 13 year olds to see these bands. It was fun though. The Butthole Surfer show is still the craziest show I have ever seen. I worked that one and those guys were borderline insane.

Can't argue with number 1 though Dead Kennedys were awesome. The Sex Pistols should be in the top 5.

LA Weekly's Top 20 Punk Albums in History

20. Bad Brains - Self-Titled (1982)
19. Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves (1995)
18. Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Blank Generation (1977)
17. X - Los Angeles (1980)
16. Fugazi - Repeater (1990)
15. Husker Du - New Day Rising (1985)
14. Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing (1982)
13. Green Day - Dookie (1994)
12. Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come (1998)
11. MC5 - Kick Out the Jams (1969)
10. Descendents - Milo Goes to College (1982)
09. Misfits - Walk Among Us (1982)
08. The Clash - Self-Titled (1977)
07. Iggy and The Stooges - Raw Power (1973)
06. Bad Religion - Suffer (1987)
05. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks (1977)
04. Minor Threat - Complete Discography (1989)
03. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables (1980)
02. Black Flag - Damaged (1981)
01. Ramones - Self-Titled (1976)

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2013/07/top_20_punk_albums.php

Yikes, The Specials at 14 and The Ramones at 19? WTF are The Specials even doing on this list. Also, no mention of The Vibrators.

I get why Suffer is always the token Bad Religion representative on these punk lists, but they were just getting (re-) started then.

Back