• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Two Decades Prior to Buzz

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
I posted this on another thread but I don't think this is said enough. I did a quick count and Wake went to the NCAA tournament something like 14 times with three different coaches over the two decades prior to Buzz.

I haven't gone through the records but I know there were stretches of years during those two decades that we were regularly beating Duke and Carolina. We had 2 ACC championships under Odom, 2 Sweet Sixteens, and Elite 8, and an NIT championship (I know, but still).

Skip and Dino had regular season success but didn't translate into deep postseason runs.

Anyone who does not believe that Wake Forest has the ability to hire an elite coach who takes us to the Final Four...Fuck that, anyone who doesn't demand that this be our expectation is LOWF.

Fuck it. I said it.

#WellmanOut

ETA:
Courtesy of RChildress:
In the 20 seasons preceding Jeff [Redacted] Wake Forest Basketball had:

12 seasons with 20+ wins
19 winning seasons
15 seasons ranked in the AP top 25 during the season
9 seasons ranked in the top 10 during the season
5 seasons final AP ranking in the top 10
14 NCAA appearances
10 top 5 NCAA seeds
4 sweet 16's
8 1st round draft picks
10 seasons in the top third of the ACC
We also finished in the bottom third of the league twice during those twenty years, something [Redacted] has surpassed in his first three years.

Our record was 415-215 for a winning percentage of .6587 or 20.75 wins per season.

At his current rate (.3617) bzz would need 1,053 more games in order to reach 415 wins at WFU or about 34 more seasons.

Last edited:
Take it on back to 1977. We made the Elite 8 that year and again in 1984. I know the Staak era gets in the way there, but we had our moments even then.

You don't understand. We cannot reach the Final 4 without compromising our values.

I posted this on another thread but I don't think this is said enough. I did a quick count and Wake went to the NCAA tournament something like 14 times with three different coaches over the two decades prior to Buzz.

I haven't gone through the records but I know there were stretches of years during those two decades that we were regularly beating Duke and Carolina. We had 2 ACC championships under Odom, 2 Sweet Sixteens, and Elite 8, and an NIT championship (I know, but still).

Skip and Dino had regular season success but didn't translate into deep postseason runs.

Anyone who does not believe that Wake Forest has the ability to hire an elite coach who takes us to the Final Four...Fuck that, anyone who doesn't demand that this be our expectation is LOWF.

Fuck it. I said it.

#WellmanOut

And Wellman got rid of Odom who had the greatest success. Oh yea, he also got rid of a 3 time ACC title winning baseball coach after just 1 losing season and this guy had 600 wins on his resume!!! There I said it.

And Wellman got rid of Odom who had the greatest success. Oh yea, he also got rid of a 3 time ACC title winning baseball coach after just 1 losing season and this guy had 600 wins on his resume!!! There I said it.

Do you cut and paste this on every thread?

12 seasons with 20+ wins
19 winning seasons
14 NCAA appearances
10 top 5 NCAA seeds
4 sweet 16's
8 1st round draft picks

12 seasons with 20+ wins
19 winning seasons
14 NCAA appearances
10 top 5 NCAA seeds
4 sweet 16's
8 1st round draft picks

Thanks for this. This is exactly what I was trying to get at in the OP. I just don't understand how anyone can look at those stats and not think Wake is capable of hiring a big-time coach to take us to a Final 4. By not expecting more our BOT and fans have allowed Wellman to completely waste a damn good 20 year run. The fans are speaking out now. What will the BOT do?

This LOWF shit has to stop when it comes to basketball. Buzz was a LOWF hire, and anyone who remains Buzzin is LOWF, too, including Wellman.

12 seasons with 20+ wins
19 winning seasons
14 NCAA appearances
10 top 5 NCAA seeds
4 sweet 16's
8 1st round draft picks

:rulz:

Wake Forest does deserve better.

Thanks for this. This is exactly what I was trying to get at in the OP. I just don't understand how anyone can look at those stats and not think Wake is capable of hiring a big-time coach to take us to a Final 4. By not expecting more our BOT and fans have allowed Wellman to completely waste a damn good 20 year run. The fans are speaking out now. What will the BOT do?

This LOWF shit has to stop when it comes to basketball. Buzz was a LOWF hire, and anyone who remains Buzzin is LOWF, too, including Wellman.

The thing is bzz wasn't a LOWF hire. It was something way worse. LOWF would have been to hire someone who would have done pretty much the same thing Odom, Skip, and Dino did to varying degrees. That being consistently good basketball wih great talent and teams that could never quite put it together.

The reason why so many were excited and then subsequently crushed by the Dino fire/ buzz hire was that firing Dino was a clearly not LOWF. At least on the surface. The idea seemed to be it was no longer acceptable to have talented teams but now we had to have teams wih consistent postseason success. We all assumed wellman had gotten someone big who was going to do that.

And then well he did the opposite

12 seasons with 20+ wins
19 winning seasons
14 NCAA appearances
10 top 5 NCAA seeds
4 sweet 16's
8 1st round draft picks

Sad Panda.... :(

One of my friends at school asks me repeatedly how I can have such high expectations for Wake and conversely so much hate for Bz because he is falling so far short of any of these expectations. I tell him Wake Forest as a program is capable of making a Final Four and winning a national championship and being consistently that third team in the ACC and some years competing for the first and second spots. He doesn't get why I think Wake can be that good and that I'm being too optimistic and that I shouldn't crucify Bz so much since my expectations are so unreasonably high (don't worry, he's not buzzin) and he cites that Wake's overall ACC record is below .500 or something stupid. But this last 20 years is the actual fact of the matter. The last 20 years proves what the program is capable of now and is exactly why I hold the program to such high expectations.

We are on the launching pad and we need a coach that can take us to a Final Four and have the long-term success we're capable of. We thought Skip was that coach and I think he could have been with the 2009 team, but tragically he passed away. I honestly believe Wake Forest can be on that next tier of college basketball programs right under the blue-bloods. I hope we correct this mistake and get the right coach (like Smart) and I hope we didn't get set back several years by someone who was so clearly the wrong coach.

We wereon the launching pad and we need a coach that can take us to a Final Four and have the long-term success we're capable of. We thought Skip was that coach and I think he could have been with the 2009 team, but tragically he passed away. I honestly believe Wake Forest can be on that next tier of college basketball programs right under the blue-bloods. I hope we correct this mistake and get the right coach (like Smart) and I hope we didn't get set back several years by someone who was so clearly the wrong coach.

FIFY. Thanks to The Culture War we are now in the exhaust pit under the engine nozzles. In a dumpster. That is on fire.

Can we pull a martin luther and nail these states to the door of Wait Chapel? Is that too much?

We also finished in the bottom third of the league twice during those twenty years, something [Redacted] has surpassed in his first three years.

Our record was 415-215 for a winning percentage of .6587 or 20.75 wins per season.

At his current rate (.3617) bzz would need 1,053 more games in order to reach 415 wins at WFU or about 34 more seasons.

Last edited:
I don't know why I was even over there or why I care, but I stumbled upon this post from TOB:

That seems to be the fear around here but I'm not sure I understand it. We weren't as relevant before Bz...everyone's favorite second team. Not being good isn't really on anyone else's radar, we're sort of just forgotten. Call that LOWF but it's the reality of things IMO.

And from a bball perspective, I think we have some really solid players coming into the program so recruiting hasn't taken the huge hit that some other teams that go into oblivion get trapped by, like when NCSU took a 10 year hiatus. Devin is NBA talent. We know Mitchell is as well. How are we going back to the 'dark ages' of Wake bball? I think we went back about as far as we can go and are moving up.

I guess I just can't take the LOWF thing. I don't even remember how to log on there anymore, but could someone please post the OP of this thread and the link to the following. Seriously, if our fans can't even remember how relevant we were for 20+ years we have no hope of getting any better now. Thanks.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=192&f=1118&t=11388895&p=1

Back