• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Wake BBall game in 88 with State that was fixed

I have to say I didn't suspect point shaving. I chalked it up as "one of those games" that anyone can have once in a lifetime, like David Carlyle against UNC in 88, which still wasn't as much of an aberration as Kitley's. Extreme laziness from Shack was hardly surprising.

The Muggsy/Spud nationally televised game was 1985, famous for Al McGuire's declaration that Muggsy had the same effect on defense as Patrick Ewing (then at Georgetown). If there were a top 10 favorite Wake games topic, this would be one of mine.

I saw that, but I don't remember the details of that report. I wasn't in the country so I didn't see it, wasn't around for the fallout. Valvano lost his job based on that report, right? I mean, people don't remember but Valvano was fired. He didn't quit because he was dying.

And NJ had to drop the charges for lack of evidence so the point shaving was never legally proven. But yes, the students I was watching the games with - we were all thinking there is no rational explanation for Shack's defense. We assumed he was really really stoned as that was the only plausible reason we could come up with. Slower than Kitley is well, impossible.

Careful, bone. Technically, he resigned. Even for suggesting that truth on the old board, I was banned for life from the State board a decade or so ago, although I never registered or posted there. ESPN had already rewritten history for the young ones, and they pound them with it every year. There's at least another 10 years of them out there now, and they've been indoctrinated to the point of mind control.

Dammit, they're coming for me. I have to sound!

Careful, bone. Technically, he resigned. Even for suggesting that truth on the old board, I was banned for life from the State board a decade or so ago, although I never registered or posted there. ESPN had already rewritten history for the young ones, and they pound them with it every year. There's at least another 10 years of them out there now, and they've been indoctrinated to the point of mind control.

I can't really think of anything that benefited more from tragic death than Jim Valvano's legacy. Today he's regarded as the "don't give up, don't ever give up guy" and people shed a tear. How much of a scumball he really was has been lost, except for those few of us who remember the reality.

I can't really think of anything that benefited more from tragic death than Jim Valvano's legacy. Today he's regarded as the "don't give up, don't ever give up guy" and people shed a tear. How much of a scumball he really was has been lost, except for those few of us who remember the reality.

yeah, but he has raised a shit ton of cash for cancer research. he's kind of like lance armstrong. you can be a piece of shit and still do a ton of good.

jesse helms is another person who fits that criteria (as rj can confirm)

During my freshman year, 1988-89, we had a heavy (for North Carolina) snowstorm one night and most of campus lost power. My roommates and I were in our room in Taylor dorm drinking beer by candlelight when there was an unexpected knock at the door. We opened the door and there stood a very tall, very drunk Ralph Kitley, who was searching for beer. Not being in any position to say no, we shared a couple with him. He obliged us by drinking one with us and letting us get our picture taken with him. I still have that picture somewhere.

He is now the principal at the HS my kids are slated to attend in Greensboro.

I have to say I didn't suspect point shaving. I chalked it up as "one of those games" that anyone can have once in a lifetime, like David Carlyle against UNC in 88, which still wasn't as much of an aberration as Kitley's. Extreme laziness from Shack was hardly surprising.

The Muggsy/Spud nationally televised game was 1985, famous for Al McGuire's declaration that Muggsy had the same effect on defense as Patrick Ewing (then at Georgetown). If there were a top 10 favorite Wake games topic, this would be one of mine.

Muggsy had a heck of a game that day and made old Al look pretty sage if I remember correctly. He kept talking about how if a player had a steal then his team gained control of the ball but if Ewing blocked it out of bounds the team didn't benefit. Didn't Hatmut Ortmann have a career game that day (by his standards) or am I miss-remembering? Seems like we won by 20 plus points too.

Fix or not, in fairness to Ralph, he had 19 and 21 points in that game and in a GT game a week or so earlier.

More like resigned under pressure. I was living in Raleigh at the time and things were pretty ugly. Being a funny guy, likeable guy ESPN loved him which gave him a pass even before he got sick.

the thing is, shackelford was such a lazy bastard that it's tough to draw a line between letting a guy score because he's shaving points or letting a guy score because he didn't feel like playing.

and stoned. that's also a real possibility.

That really sums it up.

Back