• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The WFU Coaching position

having grown up and lived in North Carolina, I can tell you that Wake Forest probably has the most passionate fan base in the state. It kills me that the passion has been sucked out of it for the last 4 years. The coaching position was one of the best before Bzzz was hired and it will be after he is gone. The only thing I fear is that Wellman will make the same kind of hire he did 4 years ago. He obviously did no research before hiring Bzzz. If he did he wouldn't have hired someone that has had only three winning seasons in his entire coaching career.

I am worried about the coaching position because Wellman will make the next hire. That is the only thing that concerns me about the coaching position. Other than that I think it can be made into what it was before BZZZ. One of the best positions in the ACC and the Southeast United States.

Question: How many of these negatives are temporary/short term? I'd think quite a few.
If a coach can't get past short term problems and create long term solutions, I don't think I want him.0

Question: How many of these negatives are temporary/short term? I'd think quite a few.
If a coach can't get past short term problems and create long term solutions, I don't think I want him.0

Well said.

Don't forget about current NBA presence, and how much that potentially can help with recruiting. Our new HC can quite easily take a page out of Clawson's book and ring up CP and introduce himself and say how much he wants to get Wake bball alumni re-involved and re-integrated in the program.

Also, our bball facilities are not bad, and are actually quite good.

Wasn't part of Childress' AD job to engage basketball alums? Heck I would task him and Rusty specifically with making sure Duncan is involved post retirement.

Its a good thing that no one else saw this coming. you would think at this point there would be a 100 page thread on this subject.

Wasn't part of Childress' AD job to engage basketball alums? Heck I would task him and Rusty specifically with making sure Duncan is involved post retirement.

Odom would be the better guy to have call Duncan if that is the goal. Or fire Ron Wellman and Timmy might come back (in a more public way) to Wake Forest.

Oh man, I can't wait for the news to break of the Curse of [Redacted] being lifted in a few weeks. I'm gonna be all like...

1339445461472.gif

Completely agree. However if the money is not there Shaka and Marshall are so hot right now that it's not worth the risk to their reputations even if all they see are short term problems. They would just continue to wait for a top 10 job to open up or another high second tier job with other short term problems to pay them.

No, the 100 page thread speculates on the next coach - not the state of the job and program.

Actually about 30 of the 100 speculate on exactly that. Even with an supposed insider recently posting a critique from a coaching search firm.

Carry on though, this is riveting, groundbreaking stuff.

Odom would be the better guy to have call Duncan if that is the goal. Or fire Ron Wellman and Timmy might come back (in a more public way) to Wake Forest.

Hire Odom, Randolph, and Rusty to run an alumni affairs division. I don't care.

I think with the right hire, Wake will be right back in the thick of things in two years. I really like the young talent on the squad. A couple key recruits, and Buzz will be a distant memory.

The fan base should support the teams regardless. This comment strikingly shallow. I could be wrong, but I'd like to believe that the team is still being supported right now by our "fans", even in our darkest hour.

I still go to every game, but I'm probably not behaving as a rational consumer in the marketplace. Wake Forest is currently putting out an inferior product and as a result sales/purchases are dropping because the fan base is spending their discretionary income on other items. That's fundamental capitalism.

I still go to every game, but I'm probably not behaving as a rational consumer in the marketplace. Wake Forest is currently putting out an inferior product and as a result sales/purchases are dropping because the fan base is spending their discretionary income on other items. That's fundamental capitalism.

I am completely in the same boat. I made that comment because I've grown up despising that outlook from Wuffie fans, Holes, and other "Bandwagon" fans. The "I'll support the team when it wins" outlook has been one that Wake fans have mocked UNC, NCSTATE and other fan bases for in the past. I feel that I'd be doing an injustice to everything I've stood for if I didn't call out a fellow Wake fan for making a shallow comment of the sorts.

I'll support the team when competently managed. I didn't disappear during down years with Odom or Skip. Wellman mismanaged things following Skip's death and hiring Bz was a devastatingly bad hire. I will be back when Bz is gone. It was the same thing with football. Grove was allowed to keep the wrong guys on staff for too long. The results of low expectations played out each season after 2008. Clawson is a strong hire and shows a commitment to winning. I'm not a bandwagon fan because I don't waste my energy on programs not striving to be winners.

Back