• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things are going great in Libya

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
Libya’s parliament moved into a five-star Tripoli hotel Monday, a day after rioters armed with knives and guns stormed the legislature building, torching furniture, killing a guard and wounding six lawmakers in the latest episode of turmoil in the country.

Tensions have been mounting between the country’s biggest political blocs, each backed by militias, adding to the potential explosiveness of political disputes.
Nearly three years after the spark of the Libyan revolution that ended the 42-year rule of dictator Moammar Gaddafi, militias wield the real power in Libya.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/2014/03/03/3f378596-a2ea-11e3-8466-d34c451760b9_story.html

So, you're surprised that a country that had been a dictatorship for nearly half a century and didn't have a hero to rally around is having problems setting up a government. Wow!

Why are we supposed to give a shit again?

600px-BTTF1000.jpg

So, you're surprised that a country that had been a dictatorship for nearly half a century and didn't have a hero to rally around is having problems setting up a government. Wow!

No, I fully expected the military intervention to be a waste of taxpayer dollars that would make things worse for the typical Libyan. And I was right.
“On every metric I’ve looked at, Libya is worse off. If you look at the death toll, it’s about ten times higher than it would’ve been without intervention,” Alan Kuperman, associate professor at the University of Texas Austin and Senior Fellow at the U.S. Institute of Peace, told the HPR. “If you look at ethnic and racial animosity it’s worse than before the intervention, and if you look at the prospects for economic and social development, I’d again say it’s much worse than before the intervention.”
http://harvardpolitics.com/world/looking-libya/

The Arab Spring was fun while it lasted. Its back to the sectarian violence for the fighting Muhammads.

It took many of the former Soviet republics years to put together economies and governments without any infighting. What's happening in Libya was to be expected.

Back