• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things kinda suck in California

Hahaha.

That literally has me laughing at my desk for some reason.

I%2Bjust%2Bcame%2Bby%2Bto%2Bsee.jpg

this is hilarious

here's a link to the actual underlying census bureau report. http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2014/demo/p60-251.pdf?eml=gd&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

The definition of "poverty threshold" under this revised test is:

The mean of the 30th to 36th percentile of expenditures on
food, clothing, shelter, and utilities (FCSU) of consumer units
with exactly two children multiplied by 1.2

If I read this correctly, it says that you are below the poverty level when your income (which includes gov't benefits in this test) is less than what the 33rd percentile (roughly) of consumers spends on food, clothing, shelter, and utilities, times 1.2; adjusted for housing costs and family size and composition.

Does anyone else feel that this way of measuring is (a) somewhat arbitrary - why is it the 30-36th percentile and not the 15th or 40th? and (b) a target that is going to be impacted significantly by what non-poor people are spending? So, under this measure, no matter how objectively well off you are, if 75% of the population spends more than you make on food, clothing, shelter, and utilities, you're poor. Maybe it doesn't speak to how objectively well off the 35%er is, but is more about how consumerist a society he lives in?

Just spitballing on a Friday afternoon.

Mississippi is less poor than California. Yes!

Back