• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things you take for granted

BaseballBoomhauer

Reaction score
I was just going through a color gallery of London during WWII, because I'm a terrible worker, and I noticed a quote about how the Germans were confused by Britain's ability to take a huge beating and never surrender. American definitely has the same feeling, but we never even think of it as odd - its just automatic.

It got me thinking about other things we take for granted - especially things we don't even realize. For example, we take our wealth and comfort for granted, but we all know that we're unequally wealthy and comfortable compared to much of the world.

Thoughts?

I take a lot of things for granted, things that most of us take for granted in some way or the other. Not that we don't realize we're lucky but it's just kind of things that you expect....i.e. health, (relative) wealth and comfort, (relative) freedom all those things.

But on a more superficial level, I definitely take for granted the fact that I live in one of the most beautiful places in the country. I don't really realize it until I travel around and see how shitty most places are.

I had a use a typewriter to fill out a form the other day. I wanted to shoot myself. I take the ability to constantly edit and spellcheck for granted, big time!

Were you filling out a bar application?

I think running water is a big one. Of course my parents are on a well so I've gained some appreciation.

My 10 minute commute. Especially since December, when SBTtoy got an apartment two blocks from my office.

I'll echo bacon's sentiment. I take my health for granted in some ways; like I rarely think about how hard life would be if I wasnt able to walk or had some debilitating disease. But in other ways I dont take it for granted because I stay active and try to keep myself from getting some disorder brought on by a sedentary lifestyle.

my intelligence.

not to be smug or anything (seriously) but every now and then i realize that all the college friends, boards people, and work folk i deal with on an every day basis are extremely bright and well-educated compared to much of the US/world.

my intelligence.

not to be smug or anything (seriously) but every now and then i realize that all the college friends, boards people, and work folk i deal with on an every day basis are extremely bright and well-educated compared to much of the US/world.

lets not say all when talking about boards people. most is a better term.

That Wake is always at least above average in basketball, and that we always seem to take a game from one of the big names each season.

I was just going through a color gallery of London during WWII, because I'm a terrible worker, and I noticed a quote about how the Germans were confused by Britain's ability to take a huge beating and never surrender. American definitely has the same feeling, but we never even think of it as odd - its just automatic.

It got me thinking about other things we take for granted - especially things we don't even realize. For example, we take our wealth and comfort for granted, but we all know that we're unequally wealthy and comfortable compared to much of the world.

Thoughts?

You can say the same thing about the Japanese. Our women's soccer team found that out. I heard a commentator say that the Japanese women had an "American style resiliency" and I laughed. They had a Japanese style resiliency.

maybe i'm off here, but i think in international competitions, most american sports teams are known for grit

Having a really tiny dong. I can pretty much fit it into any glory hole... makes for awesome rest stop trips.

Back