• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This board (and the rest of the internet), summarized

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
What we all feel now is the constant pressure to know enough, at all times, lest we be revealed as culturally illiterate. So that we can survive an elevator pitch, a business meeting, a visit to the office kitchenette, a cocktail party, so that we can post, tweet, chat, comment, text as if we have seen, read, watched, listened. What matters to us, awash in petabytes of data, is not necessarily having actually consumed this content firsthand but simply knowing that it exists - and having a position on it, being able to engage in the chatter about it. We come perilously close to performing a pastiche of knowledgeability that is really a new model of know-nothingness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/opinion/sunday/faking-cultural-literacy.html

I don't think this trend is new. It's just easier to do with the internet.

I don't think this trend is new. It's just easier to do with the internet.

Which means more people do it, and do it more often, which means people feel more pressure to be informed. Also, because of the internet, there is orders of magnitude MORE stuff (shows, music, articles) to keep up with.

"It’s never been so easy to pretend to know so much without actually knowing anything"

Basically they are describing the Lectros of the world.

Which means more people do it, and do it more often, which means people feel more pressure to be informed. Also, because of the internet, there is orders of magnitude MORE stuff (shows, music, articles) to keep up with.

Gotcha.

Exhibit A of why I choose to have this discourse here, with you dickheads, than with my friends and family on Facebook or otherwise.

Lectro is filling up the Coates thread with cut and pastes from all over the internet. Perfect example.

Black-headed-gull-flock-taking-flight.jpg

Back