• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This is the put up or shut up year

Both will be back next year.

lucy-football1.jpg

If Wellman appoints coach in waiting, Lobo, to the head job at any point in time...

Not sure what to say.

I think it's something like Lobo married his daughter-in-law's sister. Whatever it is, Lobo is family.

I'm guessing Grobe and Lobo thought Lobo was a mover and shaker and would have a head job by now. Lobo still may be the coach-in-waiting. I have no idea what his exit plan would be if Grobe were let go. I doubt there are many OC's that have lasted this long with such a poor track record.

So going back, Grobe has 4 years left on his contract. Seems like the options out of the AD are this:
1. Give Grobe an extension after this year or next.
2. Let Grobe go before his contract is up and buy him out.
3. Let him coach to the end of his contract and replace him.
3a. Grobe is on the market and takes another job before the end of his contract.

I think #1 is most likely. I think he'd have to win 4 games this year and next for it not to happen. Even with two 4 win seasons, I doubt #2 happens.

#3 would be tough if Grobe was publicly or privately seeking an extension and didn't get it. I'm not sure who would want to hire a Grobe that couldn't get an extension that isn't a significant step down. Wake to SC was plausible for Odom. I couldn't see Grobe getting a BCS job. A new FBS would be possible.

I will say this for Grobe. He won an ACC Championship (God Bless Him) and we have been generally competitive. It is hard at a small school to do it (although Stanford usually gets it done). I think though, that unless we push through this recent ceiling of mediocrity, it may be time to change things up.

I will say this for Grobe. He won an ACC Championship (God Bless Him) and we have been generally competitive. It is hard at a small school to do it (although Stanford usually gets it done). I think though, that unless we push through this recent ceiling of mediocrity, it may be time to change things up.

Stanford is the premier athletics program in the US.

Not sure what that matters. Private, academically excellent university runs premier athletic program in US. That's doesn't help excuse what's going on here.

There is a big gap between the premier athletics program in the country and the shit show that is WFU athletics. I don't think anyone expects us to be the Stanford of the East Coast, just not the Rice of the ACC.

The football program at Rice is in better shape than ours right now. Probably a good thing that series we had scheduled with them got scuttled. It'll be enough to have Vandy kick our ass again.

Stanford is the premier athletics program in the US.
They hired the Big East champion coach in 2005. Walt Harris went 6-17. They fired him and brought in the coach from U of SD who went 9-15 in his first two years. Once he burned through Harris's players and played his own, The team that Jim Harbaugh built went to 3 straight BCS bowl games. It comes down to the people the AD picks.

Lobo and Ben Grobe's wives are sisters.

It's why he still has a goddamned job and why he's not going anywhere unless he wants to. Lobo is football's [Redacted]. Their shitbrained supporters talk about how great they are yet the screaming silence of suitors knocking on their doors with job offers is deafening.

"Not sure what that matters. Private, academically excellent university runs premier athletic program in US. That's doesn't help excuse what's going on here".

Not sure what this means. I said that it is harder to compete in football as a small university. It is not impossible, and I cited Stanford. If you want to disagree with that, I guess it is your right, but Rice has had four winning seasons in the last fifteen years. Vandy has had six winning seasons in the last 54 years. I'm really not seeing how either falls in to the consistently competitive small university category.

First things first. Since few in the Wake community have any faith in Ron Wellman's judgment any more, and since Wellman because of his age and nationally, repeatedly demonstrated poor coaching choices will not be able to make the kind of hires we need, he must be replaced first.

Most definitely this. Calling for either Bzz or Grobe to move on makes no sense unless Wellman retires first.

Back