• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This season

Curious what you base this on. While I do not expect a winning season I expect some close games and nothing like what we saw in 2010.

An OL that looks like it will start 2 freshman. A defense that hasn't shown an ability to stop people. A QB that is middle of the pack in the conference in talent, but at the bottom in production last year. 1 proven WR. more potential than performance at RB.

And then, we have Coach Lobotzke and Coach Knorr. And a HC, that, God love him, appears to have his best coaching days well in his rear-view mirror.

That enough?

2009 and 2011 were extremely disappointing, so many games where we played well for 3 plus quarters and then just found ways to lose. It all started with the choke against BC in 2008. The playing not to lose mentality failed and ever since then there is an expectation that regardless of how much success we have in the first three quarters we will implode in the fourth. There have been exceptions where the other team imploded worse than we did (Virginia last year) or we were able to hang on for dear life and luckily run the clock out (NC State and FSU two years ago) but we don't expect to out execute our opponents in the fourth quarter and put teams away when we have the chance.

2009 and 2011 were extremely disappointing, so many games where we played well for 3 plus quarters and then just found ways to lose. It all started with the choke against BC in 2008. The playing not to lose mentality failed and ever since then there is an expectation that regardless of how much success we have in the first three quarters we will implode in the fourth. There have been exceptions where the other team imploded worse than we did (Virginia last year) or we were able to hang on for dear life and luckily run the clock out (NC State and FSU two years ago) but we don't expect to out execute our opponents in the fourth quarter and put teams away when we have the chance.

This is pretty much Grobe's gameplan every week.

I feel like this team is a lot like the Orange Bowl team because of all the senior stars.

2012 Season
5-7
losses by 52, 7, 5, 6, 31, 38, 34. AVG: 24.7
wins by 3 (over Liberty), 1, 12, 6, 14 AVG: 7.2

2005 Season
4-7
losses by 4, 28, 10, 17, 5, 13, 30. AVG: 15.3
wins: by 10, 4, 8, 38 AVG: AVG: 15

Who are all of these supposed senior stars on this year's team? Camp is only one player. Whitlock I guess could be in consideration.

The Orange Bowl team wasn't even led by senior stars. Idelette was the biggest senior star. The OB team was a relatively young team...we were actually a better team with worse results in the following seasons. We won the OB on the backs of Skinner, Moore, Abbate, Phonz and other Freshmen, Sophs, and Juniors. There were only 16 Seniors on that team if I count correctly.

Seven good points in a row by DeaconSig. Bluegrass on the money, too.

2012 Season
5-7

2005 Season
4-7

Who are all of these supposed senior stars on this year's team? Camp is only one player. Whitlock I guess could be in consideration.

The Orange Bowl team wasn't even led by senior stars. Idelette was the biggest senior star. The OB team was a relatively young team...we were actually a better team with worse results in the following seasons. We won the OB on the backs of Skinner, Moore, Abbate, Phonz and other Freshmen, Sophs, and Juniors. There were only 16 Seniors on that team if I count correctly.

Curry and Arnoux were also sophs. Also, will Hedlund equal Swank's OB season? Pretty doubtful.

An OL that looks like it will start 2 freshman. A defense that hasn't shown an ability to stop people. A QB that is middle of the pack in the conference in talent, but at the bottom in production last year. 1 proven WR. more potential than performance at RB.

And then, we have Coach Lobotzke and Coach Knorr. And a HC, that, God love him, appears to have his best coaching days well in his rear-view mirror.

That enough?

The freshmen on the O-line will arguably be the best on the line. That's probably a little disturbing and is a combination of the freshmen being good and the older guys not being as good.

I agree the defense has been suspect, I think a lot of it has to do with lining up the corners so far off the line and not doing a good job mixing up blitz packages.

I think Tanner's production was likely the result of the offensive line being so bad last year. I think Tanner is going to have a bounce back year if (and a big if) the offensive line is healthy and even average.

The biggest thing I think we have against us is that Lobo and Knorr are still here. Lobo's playcalling, as has been pointed out ad nauseum, is fucking terrible.

2012 Season
5-7

2005 Season
4-7

Idlette wasn't even our best senior WR. That was Nate Morton.

Steve Vallos anchored the OL.

Jyles Tucker and Jamil Smith (I think) started at DT. Bryan Andrews was solid at DE.

The secondary had fantastic clutch performances by Gattis, Ghee, and Riley Swanson. Who can forget Swanson's work on pre-Megatron Calvin Johnson in the ACCCG?

That enough?

No it's not. Every year it is a different team and anything can happen. Why choose to remain pessimistic whe you nor I know what is going to happen? I bet a freshman Helms and Harris are going to be better than some of these creampuffs we have had on the ol lately. We might not be world beaters, but another year of mental and physical growth could make a huge difference to these guys. Nobody expected our run 06-08 and another run has to start at some point.

The freshmen on the O-line will arguably be the best on the line. That's probably a little disturbing and is a combination of the freshmen being good and the older guys not being as good.

I agree the defense has been suspect, I think a lot of it has to do with lining up the corners so far off the line and not doing a good job mixing up blitz packages.

I think Tanner's production was likely the result of the offensive line being so bad last year. I think Tanner is going to have a bounce back year if (and a big if) the offensive line is healthy and even average.

The biggest thing I think we have against us is that Lobo and Knorr are still here. Lobo's playcalling, as has been pointed out ad nauseum, is fucking terrible.

I absolutely agree about Tanner. His sophomore season is proof of what he can do if he has a few extra seconds. Playing an OL with a torn ACL and losing other starters last year hurt us a great deal. And I like you think this freshman OL are going to be good ones. Helms has that nasty streak you like to see.

Curious what you base this on. While I do not expect a winning season I expect some close games and nothing like what we saw in 2010.

That enough?

I hate to say it, but I told you so.

No it's not. Every year it is a different team and anything can happen. Why choose to remain pessimistic whe you nor I know what is going to happen? I bet a freshman Helms and Harris are going to be better than some of these creampuffs we have had on the ol lately. We might not be world beaters, but another year of mental and physical growth could make a huge difference to these guys. Nobody expected our run 06-08 and another run has to start at some point.

To answer your question, the pessimism came BECAUSE people could see what was about to happen. And this was a prediction thread, not a blind optimism thread, so yeah that happened. Good to see your eyes still work and you're coming around though.

I'm getting a tee time for right smack in the middle of our game next week.

the saddest thing is that there is enough talent on this team to have a 6-6, 7-5 season but our coaching staff is going to continue to make the kids run an offense that the NC School of the Blind would shut down.

We needed our 1st 4 games. BC just isn't that good. This is a real bad omen for the rest of the season. Instead of the 7-5 I had hoped for and expected, now it's more realistically a 4-5 win season. With a senior laden team. I've held out till this year, but yeah, I now gotta say it's time for Grobe to go.

Back