• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This Week will be a Great Game!!!

IMABEHERE

Reaction score
My gut feeling is that we will see a re-energized team next week against UNC. We need the crowd to come out and give us that home team advantage in the biggest game of the year.

As a parent/dad i can say this without coming across like i'm making excuses. I wouldn't want to here this from any players or coaches but again I can say it...Here are some reasons why we didn't look like the team we all expected to see saturday night:

1. TIRED LEGS...This was the toughest camp the team has ever seen. I have heard it from multiple players. We needed to work full go get the new guys up to speed and that meant long period practices with full pads even leading up to game day

2. First Game jitters...Happens every year

3. Defensive Game Plan...We had no idea what this team was going to run so we had to play a base defense and every play we saw, we saw it for the first time. We played on instinct and that was a huge advantage for Liberty.

4. Liberty is not bad....They are very well coached and have solid talent to work with

5. 1st half Rain...The great neutralizer. It always is and whenever you are in a close game that shouldn't be close halfway through then you tighten up and don't play your game. If Michael didn't slip on the second play of the game he would have hit pay dirt...Trust me! Also Matt's key 3rd down drop was due to wet ball, Tanners passes were off due to a wet ball. The great neutralizer....

Having said all that, we need to tackle better, Block better, Catch better, Throw better and Run better. I like the fact that UNC is going to look at this film and feel like they got this and we will look at their film and say oh shit we better bring it...Now all we need is our crowd to get behind our boys. They will feed off it and give you a show!! Trust Me!!

I hope you are right....I have not given up hope - just frustrated.

The tough camp will pay dividends for the back stretch of the schedule

Good post. Add "coach better" and we're in business.

I was steeling myself for a loss to Liberty, like we all were. We escaped with a W. Now we have our wake-up call, and we have no illusions that UNC will need time to implement Fedora's system.

This ultimately can work in our favor as we're so much better when underestimated.

Good post. Add "coach better" and we're in business.

I was steeling myself for a loss to Liberty, like we all were. We escaped with a W. Now we have our wake-up call, and we have no illusions that UNC will need time to implement Fedora's system.

This ultimately can work in our favor as we're so much better when underestimated.

3. Defensive Game Plan...We had no idea what this team was going to run so we had to play a base defense and every play we saw, we saw it for the first time. We played on instinct and that was a huge advantage for Liberty.

Why does this not apply to UNC? If part of the reason it was so close was because we ran a vanilla offense, how do we know they didn't do the same against Elon? (note: did not watch that game).

Honest question.

Otherwise, I agree. Next week should be a better game, I just hope it's good enough. I moved away from North Carolina and suddenly found myself among a bunch of Tarheel co-workers so it'd be especially nice to have this one.

Why does this not apply to UNC? If part of the reason it was so close was because we ran a vanilla offense, how do we know they didn't do the same against Elon? (note: did not watch that game).

It doesn't apply to UNC because we basically know what to prepare for. Now stopping it is another challenge....We really had no idea what to prepare for against Liberty. We had to go back to 2010 kansas film to try and get an idea. Big advantage to Liberty there.

UNC is going to run a lot of sets similar to us on offense from what I garnered against Elon. They have some misdirections thrown in as well as a few more passes downfield. Their defensive sets scare me a little bit though because of the different look it provides. We need to deviate slightly from our base defense on some plays this week and mix up some blitzes since we were primarily in a vanilla set rushing 3 while dropping 8.

Rush defense was pretty good last week and a decent number of the passing yards were due to the cushion our corners give. The touchdown across the middle to put Liberty up 7-0 was a blown coverage and looked like there was just some confusion in the secondary (maybe Imabehere can shed a little more light on that).

By the way, AJ played a great game this week.

UNC is going to run a lot of sets similar to us on offense from what I garnered against Elon. They have some misdirections thrown in as well as a few more passes downfield. Their defensive sets scare me a little bit though because of the different look it provides. We need to deviate slightly from our base defense on some plays this week and mix up some blitzes since we were primarily in a vanilla set rushing 3 while dropping 8.

Rush defense was pretty good last week and a decent number of the passing yards were due to the cushion our corners give. The touchdown across the middle to put Liberty up 7-0 was a blown coverage and looked like there was just some confusion in the secondary (maybe Imabehere can shed a little more light on that).

By the way, AJ played a great game this week.

I agree....Hopefully if they are running many of the sets we run then we will play like we do against our offense. On the 7-0 TD From what i saw the ss on the right side was slow to react to the WR running down the middle of his zone. I may be wrong though. Olsen seemed to have gotten a deep enough drop and was an inch or two from tipping it. We def need to tighten up this week.

If the issue was just energy and fans cheering we'd be ok but giving up 320 yards to Liberty, etc., etc. means a pretty tough day for the Deacs. It's not just the players that need a change to give us a chance to win either. UNC has a lot of talent and could easily put up 500 yards of offense against us next week.

Any football team that uses a light drizzle to explain 4 quarters of unispired, unimaginitive play ain't worth the price of admission. Unfortunate Liberty always was on the dry side of the line.

I would like to think positively, but that was one dismal performance on Saturday. And I don't buy the "tired legs from a tough camp" theory. That's total bullshit.
I think we lose by 35 points this week.

Any word on Camp's ankle? I know he came back in, but does he have any swelling or issues with it?

If the issue was just energy and fans cheering we'd be ok but giving up 320 yards to Liberty, etc., etc. means a pretty tough day for the Deacs. It's not just the players that need a change to give us a chance to win either. UNC has a lot of talent and could easily put up 500 yards of offense against us next week.

Agreed. Hopefully our energy level is better and it leads to better play on the field. I had this game listed as a toss-up going into last week. Now I think UNC probably wins easily but hopefully I am wrong.

There is no excuse for not being ready to play the first game of the season. Vandy and now Liberty, last 2 home games, and we were not prepared to play either game. NO EXCUSE!

I suppose it is possible that we were refusing to show anything new against Liberty and will break out new blitz schemes and all sorts of new offensive sets against UNC...I suppose it is possible, but I doubt it.

We had a few guys who showed "star" quality against Liberty (Camp and Marshall And Kinal); but our supposed stars looked either scared or disinterested. It was not the score that concerns me so much as our inability to dominate the weakest opponent on our schedule.

Perhaps most disconcerting was how badly out-coached we were. If Saturday is a true indication, give Gill and his staff our players and we would be, at least, much more enjoyable to watch!

The Presbyterian game was revelatory of what was coming, I fear that is even more true of the Liberty game. I applaud the changes Grobe made in his staff; but IMO he did not go nearly deep enough.

I will be very happy to be proven wrong. Don't want to be a "prophet"...just want to win!

Back