• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thursday's Debate: Discussion Thread

I don't think Ryan's smug, just a colossal dork (not a nerd, a dork - one can be a dork and not be intelligent):

s-PAUL-RYAN-WORKOUT-large640.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/10/11/what-i-learned-debating-paul-ryan/

In a way, the Ryan-Biden match-up is like one of those classic video game match-ups where you pit the burly wrestler against the lithe ninja. The two debaters have completely different strengths. Ryan is a wonk who tends to make abstract budget promises that lead to questions he can’t quite answer about the human consequences. When he gets tripped up, it’s usually because he got too technical and argued himself into the weeds. Biden is a non-wonk who sees human consequences more clearly than he sees budgets, and when he gets tripped up, it’s usually because he got too loose and said something that was meant to be folksy but that came out as offensive. In a way, their strengths are perfectly matched to exploit the other’s weaknesses.

I really don't understand what that means? Seriously....

Scroll to the 2:05 mark.

'he's been fueling up on gatorade and animal crackers'

I am so confused. Why would that be newsworthy? It just seemed so odd to say that in the middle of a serious news story. Am I missing something?

first of it's kinda funny......like Wade Boggs eating chicken before every game in over fifteen years in the majors....

Ryan carries himself off as the holder of some nugget of knowledge or wisdom that no one else has, that he is the keeper of the secret to America's financial success. He portends to be a wonky mathematician who has mastered the complexities of taxes and spending. It's great politics, but when you peel that onion there is nothing on the inside but bullshit. It reminds me of Dick Cheney on defense. The guy had a way of speaking on it with such conviction and conveying a mastery that half the country thought he was some kind of strategic/defense genius, when he wasn't at all. He was reckless and dangerous.

I guess Obama's opponents could say the same about him, but I would disagree. Obama's political success relies more on his ability to inspire and great on-the-ground organization, rather than straight up bullshit.

Ryan carries himself off as the holder of some nugget of knowledge or wisdom that no one else has, that he is the keeper of the secret to America's financial success. He portends to be a wonky mathematician who has mastered the complexities of taxes and spending. It's great politics, but when you peel that onion there is nothing on the inside but bullshit. It reminds me of Dick Cheney on defense. The guy had a way of speaking on it with such conviction and conveying a mastery that half the country thought he was some kind of strategic/defense genius, when he wasn't at all. He was reckless and dangerous.

I guess Obama's opponents could say the same about him, but I would disagree. Obama's political success relies more on his ability to inspire and great on-the-ground organization, rather than straight up bullshit.

You guess? That would be a good guess :) haha. Is Obama's success because he is inspiring or because he is full of bs? Tea Party Response: INSPIRATIONAL!

You guess? That would be a good guess :) haha. Is Obama's success because he is inspiring or because he is full of bs? Tea Party Response: INSPIRATIONAL!

I don't understand the bolded at all.

The rub on Obama is that he spends too much money and he believes Keynesian econ theory or doesn't understand business or whatever, but not that he is a liar about the numbers - but he gets votes for soaring rhetoric of hope and inspiration.

The rub on Romney/Ryan is that they have fuzzy math. Clinton hit on it at the convention, Ryan 'didn't have time' for it on Fox, and now he will debate it with Joe Biden - But these guys [will] get votes for being good 'businessmen' (whatever that is) and numbers guys - but their numbers don't add up and are a full of malarkey (like most "businessmen")

The rub on Obama is that he spends too much money and he believes Keynesian econ theory or doesn't understand business or whatever, but not that he is a liar about the numbers - but he gets votes for soaring rhetoric of hope and inspiration.

The rub on Romney/Ryan is that they have fuzzy math. Clinton hit on it at the convention, Ryan 'didn't have time' for it on Fox, and now he will debate it with Joe Biden - But these guys [will] get votes for being good 'businessmen' (whatever that is) and numbers guys - but their numbers don't add up and are a full of malarkey (like most "businessmen")

Weird that you can't solve a 16 trillion dollar national debt in a 25 second soundbyte, isn't it? #notreally

You were guessing on whether the Tea Party thinks Obama is FOS. I can tell you that the Tea Party thinks Obama is FOS. There is no guesswork. Obama's strong opponents on the right don't think he is where he is because he is a good organizer or that he is inspirational. They think he is where he is because he spews BS all day long and stupid people buy it.

My point was that your comments about Ryan are no different than the Tea Party's comments about Obama. Both aren't really all that close to reality.

I think the drinking game tonight should be when:

Biden says "friend"
Ryan says "deficit"

Back