• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ticket help - Smythe County, VA

jccdeac

Proverbs 3: 5-6
Reaction score
So my son got a speeding ticket (80 in a 70) on I-81 in Smythe County when he was coming home from Nashville to WS for Christmas. The fine with court costs totals $121 but his insurance premium would go up.....if VA & TN reciprocate. My wife spoke with a Smythe County attorney who offered some insights on how things work up there with this particular judge. The attorney said that if the judge finds the driver has a "clean driving record" then the driver can take an 8 hr driver improvement class in person and there would be no points.....total cost about $260 - 280. But if he deems that you have "wiggled out of a ticket" (ie, defective equipment) then he won't consider that a clean record....consequence unknown. Full disclosure....my son rolled a stop sign in our neighborhood a year or 2 ago, paid an attorney & "it is gone." in the attorney's words. Currently, he does not have any insurance points so I guess it is.???

We have heard that VA & TN do not reciprocate speeding tickets. Is this true? What is the likelihood that this would "catch up with him" if he just paid the fine & rolled the dice? Any idea what the consequence would be if the judge "finds something" on his driving record? Is that really how things work in Smythe County?

So I ask the all knowing Pit, what is the best way for him to proceed.....besides slowly? :D

Thanks in advance!

I have no idea about the other but a ticket for ten over the speed limit is lame.

What the hell was he doing in Va between Nashville and Winston?

Interesting. I will keep that in mind as I have occasion to travel that route myself now and then.

Driving the shortest route. I-40 takes longer than 77-81-40.

Unless there is a rock slide and its closed, I think 40 all the way takes less time, plus you don't run into the problem of having to drive through the god awful Virginia speed traps that you have unfortunately learned all about now.

Back