• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tillerson Out?

Well Democrats in Arkansas like that plan.

Miscast from the beginning, as he's basically said. Bad news is that another adult around Trump is gone. Is pompeo just another ass kisser?

They all are eventually.

Nah, not really. Publicly, yes, but I don't see Tillerson, Mattis, McMaster and Kelly in the same light as most of the others. And their presence makes me feel a bit safer. If this piece turns out to be true, it certainly isn't good news for the country.

Nah, not really. Publicly, yes, but I don't see Tillerson, Mattis, McMaster and Kelly in the same light as most of the others. And their presence makes me feel a bit safer. If this piece turns out to be true, it certainly isn't good news for the country.

Who has impeded Trump from anything?

Who has impeded Trump from anything?

No one has necessarily stopped Trump yet, nor has anyone really needed to. But Tillerson and Mattis have differed with him publicly, and Tillerson has called him a moron. Tillerson may have been a strange pick for SOS, but that said, those 4 guys I mentioned are all well qualified professionals - despite the fact that they agreed to work for Trump. I wouldn't lump Pompeo in the same camp with those 4 guys, however. I think he's a bit of a dangerous idealogue.

State Department staff will dance on his grave the moment this is official. He has attempted to utterly gut the Department and all the professional diplomatic / policy core that makes up the backbone of the Department.

State Department staff will dance on his grave the moment this is official. He has attempted to utterly gut the Department and all the professional diplomatic / policy core that makes up the backbone of the Department.

Will Pompeo be any better?

I acknowledge and agree with your assertion. That said, Tillerson isn't a neocon and doesn't share Trump's distorted new world view. Pompeo will not be an upgrade.

can't wait to see which diplomat replaces him !

No one has necessarily stopped Trump yet, nor has anyone really needed to. But Tillerson and Mattis have differed with him publicly, and Tillerson has called him a moron. Tillerson may have been a strange pick for SOS, but that said, those 4 guys I mentioned are all well qualified professionals - despite the fact that they agreed to work for Trump. I wouldn't lump Pompeo in the same camp with those 4 guys, however. I think he's a bit of a dangerous idealogue.

Trump has been impeded by the fact that he doesn't really understand how the government runs.

Will Pompeo be any better?

In the current years ... probably not.

But Tillerson was destroying the State Department for a generation. There's a giant hole now in the Department of mid-career staff who should be the face of the USA abroad for the next 10-15 years. It's much like if there was an Army Chief of Staff who just basically got rid of everyone ranked between Major and Brigadier General ... there's no way to go back and fix that. Tillerson has already done that and he's crippled recruitment for new FSO's as well.

The US State Department will not resemble the Department it was for at least a generation. I don't think Pompeo will turn that into two generations, which is frankly what Tillerson has been trying to accomplish.

To be fair, this is pretty much how every new Department head has behaved in the Trump Admin.

In the current years ... probably not.

But Tillerson was destroying the State Department for a generation. There's a giant hole now in the Department of mid-career staff who should be the face of the USA abroad for the next 10-15 years. It's much like if there was an Army Chief of Staff who just basically got rid of everyone ranked between Major and Brigadier General ... there's no way to go back and fix that. Tillerson has already done that and he's crippled recruitment for new FSO's as well.

The US State Department will not resemble the Department it was for at least a generation. I don't think Pompeo will turn that into two generations, which is frankly what Tillerson has been trying to accomplish.

I’ve been keeping up via NPR in the mornings about the dumpster fire in the State Department, but what they haven’t really reported on, or maybe I missed it, is why Tillerson is doing this? What’s the theory, Vad? Most of the reporting I’ve heard (again, may have missed it) has been on low morale there, and major holes abroad, like the fact we are lacking diplomats in South Korea. Is it a nickel and dime move by Tillerson and Co?

I’ve been keeping up via NPR in the mornings about the dumpster fire in the State Department, but what they haven’t really reported on, or maybe I missed it, is why Tillerson is doing this? What’s the theory, Vad? Most of the reporting I’ve heard (again, may have missed it) has been on low morale there, and major holes abroad, like the fact we are lacking diplomats in South Korea. Is it a nickel and dime move by Tillerson and Co?

I don't know much about the State Department, but in other agencies (Like DOI and EPA), the leadership is operating on the expectation of sever funding cuts in the near future. The fund cut warnings come from the top, and the Department Secretaries are instructing their staff to leave positions vacant and develop plans for significant reductions in funding on the order of 15-20%.

Back