• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Time to Cut Our Losses and Fire Buzz

The idea that we can get rid of Bzz and keep Battle and LaRue, again, is laughable.

I am completely fine with Battle. I realize after 1-0 it isn't going to happen, but it is going to become apparent very soon we are not competing near our potential, and are headed for a third disaster season. I think given the apparent weakness of the ACC, and some pretty decent talent on this team, we should finish in the top half of the conference. I've seen enough now that even with his recruits, Buzz can't make it happen. We weren't going to do anything the last 2 years anyway with our roster. We've got some players now, some it it young a raw mind you, but we've got some guys who can play and learn. I think it is time now to make the move.

You are about as accurate about this as you are about your Shaka theories. It's very rare that college basketball coaches are fired and replaced mid-season for losing.

When you add this into giving Dino such a short rope, you damn guarantee no really good coach would consider working for an AD that acts like this.

Basically your concept would give us the worst of all worlds.

Last edited:
then you are stupider than racer and that is saying something. You are Michelle Bachmann to his Rick Perry. Dumb and dumber.

Hiring Battle would be Dino redux though maybe with a marginally better upside. Bzd may not be able to coach, but he can teach.

Again, this isn't rocket science. If you want to position yourself for a slam dunk hire you stay the fucking course through Year 3. We have all suffered through the last two years. The very very very last thing we want to do is pull a freak-out now that kills whatever chance we have at year end of making a slam dunk hire. Love Battle but he ain't a slam dunk hire. I would drive down to Winston today and try to strangle Wellman if you fired Bzd today. Not because I have wood for Bzd but because of where it puts us at end of year and beyond.

I just don't get how people are this stupid.

Because no great coach is going to want to work for Wellman after Dino and Bz were hired and fired.

You only fire a college coach mid season if the team quits on him/her or he is caught balling a co-ed or something (see Godfried)

Because no great coach is going to want to work for Wellman after Dino and Bz were hired and fired.

The way it happened. Top coaches have options. They won't want to work for a guy who acted this way twice in three years.

This isn't difficult to understand.

Basically if we dumb [Redacted] during the season, we can kiss the next five years or more good-bye. Unless we get blindly lucky.

No. If the question is, do you support firing Bzd 1-game into the season in hopes that such ridiculousness will be wildly helpful in hiring a Grade A coach at the end of the year, then I think most rational Wake supporters would agree with me.

I'm not in favor of firing Bzz right now either. I have no idea where you dug up that fantasy from. I'm simply lumping you into the Bzz-in category with Mebane (and formerly 88). You, yourself, have admitted that your mind has changed back towards Bzz this season.

Go back to pitching fits about people who don't pay up for fantasy leagues...

If we are really concerned about positioning the basketball program for the future then the person to fire now would be Wellman. Then we can have a new AD in place by March in order to pull the plug on [Redacted].

I don't think Bz will be fired mid season because he is tight with Wellman. I think Battle is our best option given how damaged our reputation is in coaching circles.

You are probably right. But I think this season can be salvaged and am trying to figure out how to do that. i hate seeing this season, CJ's last, go where it is going. On the heels of what the Lakers did, maybe it wouldn't have seemed so bad. Maybe after we get destroyed by UConn, RW needs to tell Buzz to scrap the Princeton and try something else with this personnel. We need W's and Buzz needs to show some flexibility and ability to adapt to different personnel. We are ignoring our strengths trying to play Princeton with this group. This group should be doing what Skip did with CP-turn the ball over to CMM and CJ, and let them run. Devin, Moto, Travis, CMM, AR and Madison are not Princeton style players. CJ can play in any system.

If we are really concerned about positioning the basketball program for the future then the person to fire now would be Wellman. Then we can have a new AD in place by March in order to pull the plug on [Redacted].

DING.

Absolutely. No way he can be in charge of hiring the next coach. One bad hire, I could give him a pass on. It happens and Wellman has done a lot of other great things for Wake. But the way he's lied, misdirected, and covered for the hire, while throwing Dino under the bus, makes him an AD no one is going to want to work for (save for Bzz).

There's no reason we can't run a fast tempo within [Redacted]'s system. We just don't because the players aren't confident enough in the system to run it quickly and also aren't very well coached in transition offense.

You are probably right. But I think this season can be salvaged and am trying to figure out how to do that. i hate seeing this season, CJ's last, go where it is going. On the heels of what the Lakers did, maybe it wouldn't have seemed so bad. Maybe after we get destroyed by UConn, RW needs to tell Buzz to scrap the Princeton and try something else with this personnel. We need W's and Buzz needs to show some flexibility and ability to adapt to different personnel. We are ignoring our strengths trying to play Princeton with this group. This group should be doing what Skip did with CP-turn the ball over to CMM and CJ, and let them run. Devin, Moto, Travis, CMM, AR and Madison are not Princeton style players. CJ can play in any system.

I really don't want Wellman dictating basketball strategies to our coaches...even shitty ones like [Redacted].

You are probably right. But I think this season can be salvaged and am trying to figure out how to do that.

You're about 8 months late in calling for anything that could have salvaged this season.

Welcome the party, but now you get to suffer through a season without any hope the way the rest of us have been doing since Bzz was hired.

Last edited:
I would rather have Battle as HC than have Wellman conduct another search. I would be in favor of a new AD but that is probably not going to happen.

We have a correct answer.

Please understand, the correlation between the Lakers and the Deacs is like the correlation between Greek austerity measures and fruit wraps. There is none.

And yes I am full on Bzd through the end of the season or I suppose the game well into the year where 18 wins becomes mathematically impossible (after ACC tourney loss seems the most logical based on that). It makes the most sense as a fan of almost all of our current players.

And it's a catch-22 with Wellman. He has a very good reputation among coaches. Used to be great. You hire a new AD, unless they have a serious track record then they are unlikely to make a splash coaching hire. But, he's old too, so if you any coach considering a Wake offer is going to have to consider that too. But until recent years, he had an almost God-like reputation in coaching circles.

Last edited:
Back