• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tipping a Delivery Guy

Tip for Delivery Guy

• 10%

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • 15%

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • 20%

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • $5 regardless

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters

Deac2010

Reaction score
We order Pizza for my company lunch every Wednesday and the bill comes up to around $110-$120. Since I sit the closest to the door, I usually sign for it and give the delivery guy a $10 tip. Is that too little? too generous? just right?

I usually give $5-10 for a home delivery. $10 seems kinda weaksauce on the company.

I order pizza for group events 2-3 times per year, and generally tip 15%. If it's the same guy every time and he is good (always on time, friendly, etc) and/or it's a raging snowstorm I'd tip more, especially if it's on the company.

Keep in mind it depends on the company. My old company gave a bad year end review to our receptionist and one item she got dinged for was over tipping deliveries. Such bullshit.

I order small pizzas for myself that are like $7 but become $10 with tax and delivery charge. I give $13.

"nice tip"

73762-8694.gif

It is the same delivery guy every week. The poll tells me I should atleast be tipping $17-$18 ($120 Total). That seems really steep for delivery.

It is the same delivery guy every week. The poll tells me I should atleast be tipping $17-$18 ($120 Total). That seems really steep for delivery.

You should be careful or you might end up like DSD's coworker. I'm surprised at the responses. I think $10 is plenty. So he's carrying 8 pizzas instead of 1. How much more work is that? It's not like he's pouring you a beer 8 times. He's bringing a stack of pizza one time and he's done. Stick with $10.

Keep in mind it depends on the company. My old company gave a bad year end review to our receptionist and one item she got dinged for was over tipping deliveries. Such bullshit.

Oh no... I'm sure the bad review hurt her chances for promotion to super receptionist.

Lets think about it for a minute
Pizza delivery guys make $11-$12 per hour, but use their own car.
I'm guessing here but I'd think they probably make 10-15 stops a night and work for 4 hours. So lets say they make 12 stops a night (could be a lot more, maybe less, I don't know)
If they get $5 per stop, then that's $60 in tips + $44 in wages and that's $104 for 4 hours of working.
Take away $15 in gas and $10 in car depreciation and you're looking at $79 for 4 hours. That's $19.75 per hour. That's pretty freaking good for delivering pizzas

Why is that we tip on a % anyway?

Why should I tip twice as much for $20 piece of fish than a $10 salad when both result in the exact same service?

Back