• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

To DirecTV or not to DirecTV

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
I am currently a FIOS customer. I don't have major issues with my service other than the cost. I checked in with DirecTV and I can save a boat load of money for one year and a good bit for the 2nd as well. I will also get a couple of other perks (better DVR...free Sunday Ticket). Should I make the jump. Seems like an easy decision but I wanted to get some feedback...do you have DirecTV and if so would you recommend it?

I've had Dish, and I currently have Directv. They're both pretty good. I got an absolutely ridiculous deal to switch to Directv via Costco, so that was initially the only reason we switched. I really like the Genie, and being able to record multiple channels at a time. If it'll save you a boatload of money, go for it.

I've had directv (switched from twc) for 5 years now and love it. The quality has been great, it rarely goes out, and they are cool with me calling them every year to get another 12-month discount or 4 on their service. I actually just moved and the process was super-smooth on their end, as well.

Ymmv, of course.

Love DirecTV. Loved FIOS before that.

I was a long-time DirecTV customer in the DC area, switched to FIOS about 4 years ago, and switched TV back to DirecTV as soon as the initial FIOS contract was up. I had lots of problems with FIOS - wouldn't recognize packages we had signed up for, had to have technicians come out three times (one of which admitted he didn't get it in his own house), etc. I've kept FIOS for internet but much happier being back with DirecTV.

I've had directv for two weeks after having some combo of TWC and Comcast for the last 10 years and I love the switch. Only downside was I had to keep comcast because of the internet.

I've been a DTV customer for 15 years. I love the service, but am fearful of it becoming AT&Ted.

I've had DirecTV since '09 and love it. Have never had an issue with customer service and end up calling and getting the NFL ticket half price most every year.

Another happy DTV customer here - do it.

The only thing I don't like about DTV is the large number of shopping channels they have.

You can take those off your Guide.

This is my first football season with DirecTV. I was planning on subscribing to Sunday Ticket after Week 1 since I'm most likely going to Panthers-Bucs anyway. What's the best strategy for getting Sunday Ticket for free or a discount?

This is my first football season with DirecTV. I was planning on subscribing to Sunday Ticket after Week 1 since I'm most likely going to Panthers-Bucs anyway. What's the best strategy for getting Sunday Ticket for free or a discount?

I thought most new subscribers get the ticket free the first year anyhow? If not, I'd just call and tell them you were under that assumption when you signed up and see what happens.

Generally I just call a week or two before the season begins every year and tell them I want to cancel my NFL Ticket (they auto renew it each August unless you call to cancel) and they'll end up routing me to someone who ends up offering a break in price.

Nope. I double checked and there is a link asking me which package I want with the pricing.

I'd just call and play dumb and see what happens. I'd almost guarantee they at least offer it to you at half price or something.

You could always use the "I signed up within the last year and thought I was supposed to get NFL Sunday Ticket for free, but its now showing up" and see if they fall for it. They may give it to you anyways.

Come to think of it, I got it on New Year's Day, just three days after the regular season ended. Maybe that's the problem. Either way, I'll just call on Monday and play dumb.

If you have time, DirecTV is always willing to give credits toward your bill. As a result, you can keep costs down if you are willing to sludge through reps on the phone. If you do not have time to do this, I would recommend staying away from DirecTV; it will get expensive after that first (or second) year.

Back