• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Toilet paper and Dean Smith

BillGeorge

Reaction score
Jan. 7, 1965

Perhaps the lowest moment for the coach who would go on to win the most games in college basketball history comes shortly after midnight as the Tar Heels return to the North Carolina campus after last night's 107-85 loss at Wake Forest, their fourth consecutive defeat.

As the team bus pulls up in front of Woollen Gym, Dean Smith and his 6-6 team see about 100 students across the street. Other students are leaning out of their windows. In front of the gym, a dummy is hanging from a noose. "Look, they're hanging you in effigy," says assistant coach Ken Rosemond to Smith. The fourth-year coach stares straight ahead, not displaying any emotion. "I could tell it was me because of its long nose," Smith will write later.

After speaking to his team about that day's upcoming practice, Smith walks to his car. His players are furious. Billy Cunningham, North Carolina's star player, and Billy Galantai bolt from the bus and rip down the dummy. "I remember the team was just very hurt by this because we realized it wasn't Coach Smith's fault," Cunningham will recall. "It was our fault. It was the players' fault."

If only we had given Coach [Redacted] more time. It wasn't his fault.

Bzzz would've won 20+ games in his fifth year. I know this for a fact.

This title is totally bizarre given Coach Smith's current condition.

Delete

not the same - Smith was a relatively new coach that students were dissatisfied with and they were voicing their displeasure during the course of the season because they wanted a change. We got the change, there was no reason to pile on at that point. We didn't roll the quad when Staak left, tho admittedly Bzz made Staak look like Adolph Rupp by comparison.

So [Redacted] compares favorably to two of the greatest coaches ever - K and his struggles early on & Smith and this act.

If only we had dug a little deeper.

I wonder if the UNC president sent out a mimeograph to the students admonishing them for not embodying the "Carolina spirit"...

The last few days have really brought out the stupids.

The Quad was rolled when Dean Smith retired.

I was at that game. It was during my freshman year. We led 50-27 at the half, then stretched the lead to 63-33 in the 2nd half. (The article in the OP may have been dated Jan. 7th, but the game itself was played on Jan. 6th.)

Carolina returned the favor 34 days later on Feb. 9th, when they blasted us 107-91 at Woollen Gym.

That set up the rubber game in the 1st round of the ACC tournament in Raleigh. We trailed by 5 points at the half, but roared backed to defeat the Tar Heels by 92-76 behind Ronny Watts' 18 points & 20 rebounds.

This post is awesome.

Bzzz would've won 20+ games in his fifth year. I know this for a fact.

Of course, if pigs had wings, they could fly. But, this year, if we win one or two more road games and take care of business vs. Ga Tech and BC at home, then win one ACCT game, guess what. Not defending Bzz, but we were really that close to keeping him.

Of course, if pigs had wings, they could fly. But, this year, if we win one or two more road games and take care of business vs. Ga Tech and BC at home, then win one ACCT game, guess what. Not defending Bzz, but we were really that close to keeping him.

I think you need to check your sarcasm meter.

not the same - Smith was a relatively new coach that students were dissatisfied with and they were voicing their displeasure during the course of the season because they wanted a change. We got the change, there was no reason to pile on at that point. We didn't roll the quad when Staak left, tho admittedly Bzz made Staak look like Adolph Rupp by comparison.

When Staak left we didn't have anything like social media.

Back