• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tolling Interstates to Rebuild Them

DeacHawk

Punishingly Intricate
Reaction score
Interesting article/study.

http://www.governing.com/blogs/fedwatch/gov-how-to-toll-every-interstate-highway-in-america.html

First, he tried to estimate on a state-by-state basis how much it would cost to reconstruct the country's interstates and widen the ones in need of more capacity. The work was based largely on traffic projections using a U.S. Department of Transportation model. Moreover, construction cost estimates were calculated for each state too, based not only on the amount of work needed but how expensive construction is in each state.

Then, he came up with some standardized toll rates. Under Poole's model, interstates could be tolled at 3.5 cents per mile for cars and 14 centers per mile for trucks, adjusted for inflation annually. Those tolls would be feasible in about 30 states, would need to be a bit higher in 15, and would seemingly be prohibitively expensive -- and thus in need of supplemental funding -- in about six mostly rural states.

In short, Poole concluded, the whole undertaking would cost about $1 trillion, and the tolls could pay for it, under a plan to rebuild the interstate over a decade and pay for it via tolling for 35 years after that. "It appears feasible to finance the reconstruction and selective widening of nearly the entire Interstate system via moderate toll rates collected via (all-electronic tolling)," he writes.

By no means perfect but definitely something the feds and states need to start thinking about

I do think we would all benefit from such a large scale public works project.

We need to rebuild the nation's electric grid first.

I'd fund it through the federal fuel tax. Index the tax rate to inflation or cost of oil; maybe also tax on miles driven. Dedicate fuel tax proceeds to infrastructure (is this already done?).

Also agree with LK that electrical grid is more pressing concern (and vulnerability).

I like tolls better than fuel tax. Because our revenue on fuel tax is going to diminish with time and hopefully one day because almost obsolete, at which time we will have to come up with a new revenue stream. We need big investments in our infrastructure...just need a Republican president to propose it so that the House will go along with it.

I like tolls better than fuel tax. Because our revenue on fuel tax is going to diminish with time and hopefully one day because almost obsolete, at which time we will have to come up with a new revenue stream. We need big investments in our infrastructure...just need a Republican president to propose it so that the House will go along with it.

Agreed on the fuel tax. In NC, the state fuel tax goes towards road improvements and the funding from that revenue is not growing much, if at all currently. Definitely need to start thinking about other ways to pay for those improvements, especially when recent estimates I've seen are around $65-$75K to resurface a center lane mile (12 feet across), prices obviously vary depending on condition of road

And yes, the fuel tax in NC makes gas more expensive than say, SC, but take a look at the condition of their roads next time you are down there and compare to NC.

The only tolls anywhere in CA that I know are on privately run roads and the bridges in the Bay Area. I don't know of any toll roads west of Texas.

The only tolls anywhere in CA that I know are on privately run roads and the bridges in the Bay Area. I don't know of any toll roads west of Texas.

How are roads out there and do you happen to know how their maintenance and repair is funded? Just curious as I know much less about the west coast states and this type of thing than over here.

We are going to have to go this route sooner or later. The question is how long do we delay. If we get ahead of the curve we'll be alright. If we wait too long, we'll wind up having to essentialy grant private licenses for contractors/developers to build and operate toll roads just to maintain our infrastructure.

How are roads out there and do you happen to know how their maintenance and repair is funded? Just curious as I know much less about the west coast states and this type of thing than over here.

Obviously we need wider roads in the metro areas and definitely more mass transit outside the Bay Area. Overall the roads are really good. There are just too many people in certain areas.

I think most of the money comes from gas taxes. There might be some bond issues.

They'd have to build and man toll booths....I doubt they could do everything by electronic pass.

Wider roads never relieve congestion. They just cause more people to drive.

Wider roads never relieve congestion. They just cause more people to drive.

Maybe in places that have viable alternatives to driving. If all people can do is drive, I doubt wider roads make more of them drive. Now wider roads could make sprawl more likely. If that's what you were saying, it's a good point.

They'd have to build and man toll booths....I doubt they could do everything by electronic pass.

We have these things called machines now...they take your money and open the gate. It's really revolutionized the parking deck and car wash industries!!! You can even buy a drink from a machine now! Welcome to the future!

Interesting article/study.

http://www.governing.com/blogs/fedwatch/gov-how-to-toll-every-interstate-highway-in-america.html

In short, Poole concluded, the whole undertaking would cost about $1 trillion, and the tolls could pay for it, under a plan to rebuild the interstate over a decade and pay for it via tolling for 35 years after that. "It appears feasible to finance the reconstruction and selective widening of nearly the entire Interstate system via moderate toll rates collected via (all-electronic tolling)," he writes.

By no means perfect but definitely something the feds and states need to start thinking about

That's interesting, I think about 5 years ago we paid just about $1 trillion to improve our infrastructure, one would think that all of our problems should be solved. But I guess nothing compares with $1 trillion of community organizing.

I definitely think a $1 trillion infrastructure program would have been the right choice to pass through without Republican support rather than the stimulus and Obamacare.

That's interesting, I think about 5 years ago we paid just about $1 trillion to improve our infrastructure, one would think that all of our problems should be solved. But I guess nothing compares with $1 trillion of community organizing.

WTF are you talking about? Over 1/3 of the stimulus was tax cuts. Close to a similar amount went to state and local governments to stay open.

Under $100B went to infrastructure. the problem was the stimulus was way too small. Since the GOP in the House has killed a Senate passed (78-22) infrastructure bill.

Occasionally get your facts right.

Maybe in places that have viable alternatives to driving. If all people can do is drive, I doubt wider roads make more of them drive. Now wider roads could make sprawl more likely. If that's what you were saying, it's a good point.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/09/137708751/more-roads-may-pave-way-to-more-traffic

"What we found was that in cities where there was more roads, there was more driving," economist Matthew Turner, a co-author of the study, tells weekends on All Things Considered host Guy Raz. "In particular, if you had 1 percent more roads, you had 1 percent more driving in those cities."

Abstract: We investigate the effect of lane kilometers of roads on vehicle-kilometers traveled (vkt) in us cities. vkt increases proportion- ately to roadway lane kilometers for interstate highways and probably slightly less rapidly for other types of roads. The sources for this extra vkt are increases in driving by current residents, increases in commer- cial traffic, and migration. Increasing lane kilometers one type of road diverts little traffic from other types of road. We find no evidence that the provision of public transportation affects vkt. We conclude that increased provision of roads or public transit is unlikely to relieve congestion

Back