• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tom Perez Elected as New DNC Chairman

First real test of the anti-Trump coalition. How will commielibs respond?

He should should have been on the ticket. Hillary fucked up putting another old. boring white guy with her. She let Trump get 33% of the Latino vote. How the fuck did she do that?

First real test of the anti-Trump coalition. How will commielibs respond?

If Perez has any sense, he will respond to them. People are motivated and don't need the DNC to help. All the DNC needs to do is not get in the way. Find races in which no Dems are running and empower local groups to identify people to run.

If Perez has any sense, he will respond to them. People are motivated and don't need the DNC to help. All the DNC needs to do is not get in the way. Find races in which no Dems are running and empower local groups to identify people to run.

Here in Alabama, local liberals and progressives are organizing out side the confines of the Democratic Party. Today I attended my second meeting of the local "Alabama Moving Forward" group. We are organizing and working towards find people to run for city, county and state government. The democratic party is nowhere to be found down here.

What practical difference is there between Perez and Ellison on policies?

Bill Kristol can kiss my ass.

What practical difference is there between Perez and Ellison on policies?

Bill Kristol can kiss my ass.

For liberals: Sanders' endorsement really matters. I also think he represents a decent chance at campaigning better to working class midwesterners.

For conservatives: Ellison checks more scary to crackers boxes.

Here in Alabama, local liberals and progressives are organizing out side the confines of the Democratic Party. Today I attended my second meeting of the local "Alabama Moving Forward" group. We are organizing and working towards find people to run for city, county and state government. The democratic party is nowhere to be found down here.

Yep. My wife and a friend of ours attended the Women's March in DC. When they got back, our friend started a group on Facebook for like-minded friends. She's organized writing postcards to elected officials, she keeps us up to date, she helped organize a meeting with the local Rubio office that I attended.

A local offshoot of the county Democratic club just started and I plan on checking it out. Just checked their site and they held an event last night in solidarity with a neighborhood mosque that was firebombed by some terrorists.

A woman in another I'm in planned a constituent led town hall for Rubio that he of course did not attend.

I am seeing people who haven't been politically active start stepping up at the grassroots because they feel compelled to do something.

this is correct.

and this is awesome. take control of the party from the ground up, not vice-versa. communications and physical infrastructure are in place in a way never seen before.

@all: will this Perez person move the party leftwards or are democrats still trying to be moderates? the party must move left to provide any real alternative, and even then i'll have trouble calling them actual liberals.

It shouldn't matter. Win elections then have substantive policy debates as a party in power.

The Democratic party has also been a tug of war between progressives and moderates because there aren't enough progressives in this country to push policy.

The hardcore conservative base is a much larger percentage of the Pub party and the electorate as a whole.

Winning elections is the important thing. That gives you more of a platform to push your agenda, because its irrelevant if the other guy is in power.

very good points from you both. it's really too bad those well left of center in american politics don't really have a party they can turn to. i'd like to go green myself every time, but that's basically letting the pubs win in presidential elections at least.

A lot of people don't have a party they can turn to. The far left just bitches about it more than others.

A lot of people don't have a party they can turn to. The far left just bitches about it more than others.

Currently maybe, but the far right didn't have a major party to turn to 8 or 10 years ago and they were very vocal and then they just went ahead and took over the GOP. They organized independently first, the tea party, then the GOP embraced them and the party lost its mind. The real problem with the far left, I think, is that everyone has their own little core issue and they want it to be at the fore front of party identity and are unwilling to compromise. Black lives matter and green peace people have a hard time organizing together because they each want their issue to be the core of the movement's identity. The factions on the right seem to be better at putting their pet issues on the back burner and accepting candidates and leaders that don't align perfectly with them, i.e. Prolife people accepted Trump because Pence was the second in command. The left just aren't as good at getting on board. The only person I've seen that could potentially connect all the liberal dots was Nader. He understood the links between environmental issues, trade, poverty, social justice, education, racial justice, women's rights, etc.

Back